etymology of "skanger"? (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Someone once told me the term "skanger" came from the fact that back in the early '80s lots of the people nowadays called "skangers" were into ska music, The Specials etc and especially UB40. Is there any truth in this? Does anyone care? .|..|

desertedvillage prior once told me it had something to do with a west indian term derived from "scavanger" or something

seriously - what an odd coincidence....maybe he remembers?

Someone once told me the term "skanger" came from the fact that back in the early '80s lots of the people nowadays called "skangers" were into ska music, The Specials etc and especially UB40. Is there any truth in this? Does anyone care? .|..|

That word wasn't used back then. UB40 weren't what you'd call ska either.

could it have come from scanda jackets ? it seemed to start at the same time. What ever happened to 'townies' ?

my dad was a bit of a skanger back in the day and he loves Ska and UB40 although he said it was scumbag music haha. so i think it probably does have some truth

I thought it came from the 'Scanadanvian' jackets they all used to wear. And as words do evolve, it changed to 'Scanger' or 'Skanger'. At least thats what i presumed.

anyone here ever have a gore tex as a fashion item? personally i could never afford a gore tex proper and had to make do with its poorer cousin, the vander. i remember being told that the reason the jackets where so popular was that car thiefs could wear them out at night in the rain etc, and the shelf created by pulling the waist string super tight was ideal for resting a stolen car radio or any other lifted goods. plus the fact that they had like a million hidden pockets was ideal for hiding five spots from the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back