Ethical consumption and drugs (1 Viewer)

dunno. as a person with trigeminal neuralgia i kind of take the 'drugs are all bad' ethic as personal attack. certain types of drugs can be very theraputic, and in my case make it possible to tolerate high levels of pain over long periods of time without getting as stressed as i should be, stop me having panic attacks and make it possible for me to go outdoors more often. if i were resident in california or canadia i would have a special licence to own a medicinal amount of such. that said i can understand jane's obtuse dislike for drugs, theres many different colored beans out there, and some of them make a whole mess out of people.

Yeah Wobs had mentioned it earlier,but the whole anti-drug stance through nowt but ignorance and legality has very much become a staple of society and education through conditioning and unqestioning acceptance,the new opium of the people

Well, if an anti-drug stance is taken through "ignorance" and "unquestioned acceptance" then yeah, I agree with you. But I doubt that applies to many people here, even if it may do in society at large. I wouldn't class myself as "anti-drug" by any means, even though I do think they are largely a waste of time and their negative effects probably outweigh their positive ones in the long run, but that's a conclusion that's not based on ignorance.

dunno. as a person with trigeminal neuralgia i kind of take the 'drugs are all bad' ethic as personal attack. certain types of drugs can be very theraputic, and in my case make it possible to tolerate high levels of pain over long periods of time without getting as stressed as i should be, stop me having panic attacks and make it possible for me to go outdoors more often. if i were resident in california or canadia i would have a special licence to own a medicinal amount of such. that said i can understand jane's obtuse dislike for drugs, theres many different colored beans out there, and some of them make a whole mess out of people.

It's a pretty appalling situation that you have to do something illegal to obtain some relief from your condition. That really is ignorance.

You're missing my point though. I accept that you're not prepared to avoid drugs for health reasons or because society says you shouldn't.

But, since drugs are illegal, taking them is damaging to society. Every stage from production to final distribution is shitty. Funding violence over here, biggest cash crops going over there. Funding violence over there. International terrorism.

Is that a good enough reason to avoid drugs?

Fuck off and chew an 'E' ya big stiff right winger.

Personally I'd be in favour of legalising most drugs in a controlled manner that is designed to take most of the business away from dealers without making them too easily available.
But it's one of those questions where there are good and bad points in both sides of the argument.
I don't know why people like doing shit that fucks their bodies up though, and why some people have to get shit-faced in order to have social interactions or enjoy a night out. Just seems to me that most people are uncomfortable with themselves in one way or other.

the reason I'm not interested in drugs include the fact that its giving money to a lot of scummy types of people.
And funding their badness on loads of levels as wobbler points out.
This has been a main reason.

Its also because I think they are really shitty quality, and completely untrustworthy.

Its also because I am half mental at the best of times and would like to try and spend as much time as possible in control of my mind as I can as I know, uncomfortably well, what being out of control of it is like.

Its also because my work pays me to think, and I am not smart enough to be doing my job not firing on a lot of cylinders.

Its also because I can't really be bothered, I just seen too many people become wankers when they get into drugs, and since pretty much one side of my family were alcoholics, and at least two or possibly three of them have killed themselves I am just keen to keep away from that whole thing.

Its sort of cheesy, and wack jobs always bang on about it, but I have spent a lot of time tricking my body into thinking it was in very dangerous situations, and to some extent you get a little high on that.
I dunno. Just generally I feel the costs outweigh the (very much over hyped from what I have seen) gains on all sorts of levels.

the reason I'm not interested in drugs include the fact that its giving money to a lot of scummy types of people.
And funding their badness on loads of levels as wobbler points out.
This has been a main reason.

Its also because I think they are really shitty quality, and completely untrustworthy.
So, are these real reasons?

In other words, would you consider taking drugs if they were legalised (therefore addressing the two issues I quoted above but not your multitude of other reasons)?

thank god. anyone else going kettling tonite?

rubber-duck-tea-kettle.jpg

So, are these real reasons?

In other words, would you consider taking drugs if they were legalised (therefore addressing the two issues I quoted above but not your multitude of other reasons)?

Strictly speaking them being legal or not doesn't come into it. I am happy to ignore laws that I think are stupid.

That they fuck up the environment and ruin peoples lives making and moving them around is a direct result of them being illegal, but its secondary. I think these reasons alone would stop me from taking drugs implicated in this.

The question you asked though was if those reasons relating to ethics magically went away, would I take them?
Still no.

I think drugs (ie the usual set of illegal drugs) are mainly a load of overhyped bollocks. They dont help me at all really. I don't drink to get drunk, I drink because I like IPA, or certain wines. If there is only Budweiser at a gig I dont drink anything. I would take drugs that helped me, that chill me out or relax me, if I am sure they are made properly. As far as I know though, no classically illegal drugs help me though. So, no, fuck them. Not bothered.

edit, I am a very boring person though. I mean, I was a cyclist for a while, and I sat on a bike 5 days a week for 5 hours a day and thought that was fierce entertaining altogether. I also think programming is fun. I live beside NYC and almost never voluntarily set foot in the place unless I am forced too. I am pretty dull in all fairness.

I don't know why people like doing shit that fucks their bodies up though, and why some people have to get shit-faced in order to have social interactions or enjoy a night out. Just seems to me that most people are uncomfortable with themselves in one way or other.
it's just to take the edge off the comedown

will self said:
Drugs legitimise idleness. Particularly heroin, which has its own internal logic. As Burroughs says, there’s time and there’s junk time. You can’t do fuck all. You cannot fucking pass a sentence when you are smacked out. You can write on pot. Pot’s another great drug. Heroin is the bride and pot is the groom and they’re at the altar together. And they’re very British drugs. The British are hash-smokers and heroin-takers. Cocaine doesn’t suit Britain. If I were a dictator, I would ban coke and legalise heroin and pot. Hah!

The Idler Magazine: What about exploratory psychedelics?
Self: A lot of people turn into trees, don’t they? You must know people who did over a hundred acid trips who now resemble vegetable forms of life. In terms of producing terminal idleness, acid is probably quite good.

Idler: But don’t you find things like that give you the opportunity to enter your own head, and pursue idle thoughts with a luxury you don’t normally get?

Self: Oh no, I think acid’s terribly zippy. I did a couple of hundred trips, but I never really saw it as a good idle drug. I used to take it with black bombers, which are time-release amphetamines - 24 hour very smooth speed rush. To take acid on top of that, and smoke, that is not idle.

Idler: But it can be at the end. When you’ve been dancing all night, in the morning you can have some nice thoughts.

Self: I don’t do psychotropic drugs any more. I do E occasionally; all those things make me feel very cerebral now. I am now a true idler and the thought of dancing on Ecstasy seems ridiculous - I’d much rather talk about Kent. Of course, a key idle character is Dunbar in Catch 22, he cultivates boredom in order to increase his life span. His disappearance is in keeping with this. Hmmm.

GD7405675@Will-Self-3666.jpg

Strictly speaking them being legal or not doesn't come into it. I am happy to ignore laws that I think are stupid.

That they fuck up the environment and ruin peoples lives making and moving them around is a direct result of them being illegal, but its secondary. I think these reasons alone would stop me from taking drugs implicated in this.

The question you asked though was if those reasons relating to ethics magically went away, would I take them?
Still no.

I think drugs (ie the usual set of illegal drugs) are mainly a load of overhyped bollocks. They dont help me at all really. I don't drink to get drunk, I drink because I like IPA, or certain wines. If there is only Budweiser at a gig I dont drink anything. I would take drugs that helped me, that chill me out or relax me, if I am sure they are made properly. As far as I know though, no classically illegal drugs help me though. So, no, fuck them. Not bothered.

edit, I am a very boring person though. I mean, I was a cyclist for a while, and I sat on a bike 5 days a week for 5 hours a day and thought that was fierce entertaining altogether. I also think programming is fun. I live beside NYC and almost never voluntarily set foot in the place unless I am forced too. I am pretty dull in all fairness.

Ah Flashback man.:(

Whats IPA?I've never had that.

I have however had every fuicking drug going and they are all to some extant fucking beautiful.Did bike couriering for a few years and was drunk and high 4 days out of 5.Great combination.I lived in New york and was never in me gaf.

We are exact opposites.

Oppodoppelgangers if you will.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back