estel review et al (1 Viewer)

steppenwolf

full marks to this site but it seems from reading some reviews that the authors are taking an almost NME style stance to their pieces wherby they take on a self satisying tone and seem to be reviewing themselves rather than the band - i refer to the estel review from the 19th by "zehner" among others. maybe its just me but shouldn't reviews be a completely objective art-form - it is - after all - for the benefit of the anonymous reader

just because something is new and "different" doesn't mean it should be applauded and free from opinion- look at squarepusher - what a load of s....
that gig in tbmc recently was ridiculous

queen nefertiti (31 Jul, 2001 01:07 p.m.):
just because something is new and "different" doesn't mean it should be applauded and free from opinion- look at squarepusher - what a load of s....
that gig in tbmc recently was ridiculous
are you mental??

I was just saying any reviews are better then no reviews at all.

Steppenwolf.

I wrote the review as I was asked to do so by one of my friends..who shall remain nameless...well fuck it it was Jamie.
I do apologise if you feel it was "not objective" but then again what the fuck is?
The review is my opinion of the gig, written in the manner in which i usually write....i.e. pretty self-referential. I do appreciate your view but don't really think i am deserved of the *cretinous* NME tag.
So there ya big pus!!!

Zehner

I was lamenting tthe fact that the review was that - self-referential .
the quality of the review is fine - it just gave me the impression that it was written by a "D4" head
no need to get ratty - its just an opinion - who taught you to speak to innocent little country girls like that?
your view was also appreciated

Mr Hesse.

I'm a mucker myself. From the dark deep depths of Tipperary....wherever the D4 stuff comes from I do not know.
People sometimes mistake me for one of those wankers..that is until I start raving on about hurling and breaking one over their heads.....then they know the story.

I have a few mates from Armagh actually..from Keady..and I have threatened them with stick damage to the head a few times.

I think you are safe though!

I generally find that breaking WIND over people's heads, after 10 pints of Erdinger, is a more effective way to communicate personal dissatisfaction, as well as being, to my esteemed knowledge, a non-arrestable offence.

Jeepers, that review seems harmless to me.

<my spelling has gone to shite - must be the stress of having to account for every word before I publish/speak it..>

and thusly did the sniping and bitching begin... or am i putting my foot in it here too... all in the best possible taste, no bad feelings, real or percieved... oh, shut up me.

A music journalist's role is to give his/her honest opinion on on his/her subjective experience of music/performance. That's it - objectivity doesn't come into it. What passes for objectivity in the music press is not real - it's a pose, a myth perpetuated by music journalists in an attempt to make their profession seem more respectable in a society where rationality is king.

(of course, if you're reviewing your mate's gig, you could legitimately be accused of bias)

*not being bitchy*
If the gig had been shite I would have said so. Just turns out it wasn't.

As to bias...how many local indy bands could you review without having at least one friend or sorta friend or hated enemy in each?
(presuming you are a Dublin head).
*just being honest*

joss (31 Jul, 2001 05:48 p.m.):
Erdinger. They'll accuse you of being from D4, you know.

or Munich - like, where it's made ya?

question - why is drinking Budvar considered coool and indie but drinking Erdinger is considered poncey and snobbish? gettin to the stage when a bloke has to ask for his erdinger in a normal pint glass to avoid the abuse :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back