engagement rings (2 Viewers)

well of course. It's a status thing. How I intend to get round my moral objection to the meaning behind engagement rings is to have a fancy wedding band. The consumer in me has to be satisfied somehow for gawds sake. I love things.

snakybus said:
Yep, well, the older I get the more I'm thinking that this is actually the case.

Romance is a terribly delicate thing. Why weigh it down with a big lump of see-through carbon?

Today, diamonds. Tomorrow, Laura Ashley chandeliers and golf club sets that are never used. It's a gateway consumer item. Mark my words.

My sister announced her engagement a few months ago. Anyway, herself and the fiancé are interminably practical about these things and it was decided that she'd pick out a few rocks that she liked and then they'd go together and do the purchasing.

So being her only sister I was yanked along for her initial viewing. First shop we went into the nice woman asked if we'd like to go downstairs to the private area. She was eyeing us funny. But anyway, grand job, lady, thanks. So she brings down my sister's selections, and introduces herself to us. "Oh I'm Elaine", says the sister, "and this is my sister, she's just come along for a second opinion". Quietly, though not quite under her breath, I hear the woman say "ah, sister, ah, right, I see then". :rolleyes: And I wasn't being paranoid, trust me.

With the sister being shortish and mousy-blond, ie, my physical opposite, she clearly thought we were special ladyfriends or something. Which seems a bit thick as I'm sure she's had all kinds of weird "couples" coming in to look at rings.

Anyway, I had a conversation about rings with a married friend recently and we were chuckling about how you tell them your rough budget and then they always produce this lump about 12 times that amount, saying "now, I know your budget is XYZ but I just thought you'd like to have a look at this, yknow, just in case."

When we were in one shop, yer wan pulls out this incredible rock, over a carat, top of the grade in clarity and whiteness, with small diamonds encrusted down the band on either side of the main stone.

"Now, this is €22,000 which I know isn't quite the price you were aiming for but blah blah blah". Isn't quite the price indeed. Our eyes nearly fell out of our heads, though. Why must they do it? Bastids.

So did you get engaged to your sister?
roxy said:
My sister announced her engagement a few months ago. Anyway, herself and the fiancé are interminably practical about these things and it was decided that she'd pick out a few rocks that she liked and then they'd go together and do the purchasing.

So being her only sister I was yanked along for her initial viewing. First shop we went into the nice woman asked if we'd like to go downstairs to the private area. She was eyeing us funny. But anyway, grand job, lady, thanks. So she brings down my sister's selections, and introduces herself to us. "Oh I'm Elaine", says the sister, "and this is my sister, she's just come along for a second opinion". Quietly, though not quite under her breath, I hear the woman say "ah, sister, ah, right, I see then". :rolleyes: And I wasn't being paranoid, trust me.

With the sister being shortish and mousy-blond, ie, my physical opposite, she clearly thought we were special ladyfriends or something. Which seems a bit thick as I'm sure she's had all kinds of weird "couples" coming in to look at rings.

Anyway, I had a conversation about rings with a married friend recently and we were chuckling about how you tell them your rough budget and then they always produce this lump about 12 times that amount, saying "now, I know your budget is XYZ but I just thought you'd like to have a look at this, yknow, just in case."

When we were in one shop, yer wan pulls out this incredible rock, over a carat, top of the grade in clarity and whiteness, with small diamonds encrusted down the band on either side of the main stone.

"Now, this is €22,000 which I know isn't quite the price you were aiming for but blah blah blah". Isn't quite the price indeed. Our eyes nearly fell out of our heads, though. Why must they do it? Bastids.

kirstie said:
well of course. It's a status thing. How I intend to get round my moral objection to the meaning behind engagement rings is to have a fancy wedding band. The consumer in me has to be satisfied somehow for gawds sake. I love things.

ah sure you'd make a lovely bride with yer wedding band, and neil a dashing groom

I'd ask for a new car stereo if I was your friend or some other stone, Diamonds
arent worth the money and everyone always compares the size of them so there will be allways sum1 with a bigger rock than you, that's why the car stereo or a different kinda stone is more tasteful, I'd ask for both but shur then again, as I'd prob have to pay sum1 to marry me, buy him season tickets or sumthan, ha ha!

snakybus said:
neil a dashing groom
Too fucking right.

02nervous-groom.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back