Ebay Postage (1 Viewer)

Hyiz, Thumped. Some ebay advice needed, much obliged for any help.

If I submit my absolute maximum bid, is there any reason why I shouldn't win the auction, as long as someone doesn't eventually trump that maximum amount? I've looked at a couple of sniping advice lists, and it seems that a better maximum bid just can't be beat.
First time using ebay, and I don't want to get it wrong.

Ps. Auction finishing in 7hrs!

Hyiz, Thumped. Some ebay advice needed, much obliged for any help.

If I submit my absolute maximum bid, is there any reason why I shouldn't win the auction, as long as someone doesn't eventually trump that maximum amount? I've looked at a couple of sniping advice lists, and it seems that a better maximum bid just can't be beat.
First time using ebay, and I don't want to get it wrong.

Ps. Auction finishing in 7hrs!

I know if might be stating the obvious a bit, but it's kind of down to demand isn't it?

I used to use Ebay a good bit for buying records (you are probably buying something else) and manys the time I got carried away and spent more than I'd intended, probably because someone had done what you mentioned, and the relative obscurity of the item seemed to justify the price at the time (and very often I only had a vague idea of what the average cost of it might be - this is one of the reasons I prefer to use Discogs now, it saves having a stash of Record Collector mags about the place).

Having said that, on a few occasions I also put what I considered a high bid on something a few hours or so in advance of the auction ending, only to have it snatched away at the last moment by someone who wanted it more - have there been many bids on it so far? And is there anywhere else you can get it?

Thank you! :)

I know if might be stating the obvious a bit, but it's kind of down to demand isn't it?

Aye...agreed. It was more a technical question though. If I do a slightly high-value maximum bid, ebay will update my auction bid every time someone else tries...my understanding is that this cant be beaten, is that correct?

I used to use Ebay a good bit for buying records (you are probably buying something else) and manys the time I got carried away and spent more than I'd intended, probably because someone had done what you mentioned, and the relative obscurity of the item seemed to justify the price at the time (and very often I only had a vague idea of what the average cost of it might be - this is one of the reasons I prefer to use Discogs now, it saves having a stash of Record Collector mags about the place).

Aye, it's a record. It's something I know about but it's a rare appearance...I've not been after it for long. It's probably worth more to me than most people.

Having said that, on a few occasions I also put what I considered a high bid on something a few hours or so in advance of the auction ending, only to have it snatched away at the last moment by someone who wanted it more - have there been many bids on it so far? And is there anywhere else you can get it?

Nowhere else I can get it I think...it's quite old. I've seen it once before, it was very reasonably priced. Four other bids so far. I'm fairly sure it's not going to go for mad money but for the sake of a possible extra few quid I want to make sure it ends up here.

Thank you! :)

Nowhere else I can get it I think...it's quite old. I've seen it once before, it was very reasonably priced. Four other bids so far. I'm fairly sure it's not going to go for mad money but for the sake of a possible extra few quid I want to make sure it ends up here.

Yeah, feck it. If you really want it, then it's probably worth the few extra shekels then!

Like what I mean is can a person who is using a sniping app beat me, without necessarily having a higher maximum bid?
I don't think so... I think the highest highest bid wins (but I'm not sure about that...)

If you can then put in your highest bid in the last few seconds to avoid triggering and getting sucked into a bidding war

Yeah, feck it. If you really want it, then it's probably worth the few extra shekels then!
I'm finding the whole process quite exciting. One thing I have in my favour is that even though it's old, good enough music, and good condition, I don't think there are many folks who would attach much particular significance to it.

I'm finding the whole process quite exciting. One thing I have in my favour is that even though it's old, good enough music, and good condition, I don't think there are many folks who would attach much particular significance to it.

May fortune shine upon you.

I upped my maximum bid this afternoon...so far no bidding war, or even new bids at all. I slightly fear immiment disaster of some sort though. Will report back at the appointed hour.

on a slight tangent, remember when there was blatant good value to be had on ebay? remember picking up the likes of the fall live at the witch trials original press and twin peaks ost for example for 6 or 7 quid each

I feel there were deals ahoy for records on eBay only up to about 2009?
yeah, i'd go with that. would have been about 05 or 06 when I started using it and bought those two examples above. since about 2010/2011 I pretty much just use discogs for used online purchases. very occasionally ebay now, usually availing of free UK delivery using my Co. Antrim Parcel Motel mail box

That was UNBELIEVABLE!
No action until the last second then it went off the chart. I definitely did the right thing. I kinda had to have it so I put on a slightly mad maximum bid. It went close enough to it in the end... €123.55. It's the most expensive record I will ever want to buy, I think.
It's a thing called Deutsches Amateur-Jazz Festival 1958 Düsseldorf. Jaki Liebezeit plays on one song on it, aged 20, under his "real" name of Hans. It precedes the first listing on his discogs page - Voices, by Manfred Schoof Quintett, pictured on my avatar - by 8 years. There's a good chance it's his first ever recording. A friend of mine who owns a record shop in Berlin told me about it about two months ago. He had just sold a copy...I tried to track it down but the buyer wouldn't even tell me what year it was, and my friend couldn't remember. He spotted it on ebay last week and gave me the heads up. Could not fucking believe it. My friend gave me a rough estimate of €65. I figure someone else must have known who played on it...I hope it wasn't a family member or whatever. I'm going to rip the tune and send it to Jaki's friends in Cologne when (fingers crossed) it gets delivered.

That was UNBELIEVABLE!
No action until the last second then it went off the chart. I definitely did the right thing. I kinda had to have it so I put on a slightly mad maximum bid. It went close enough to it in the end... €123.55. It's the most expensive record I will ever want to buy, I think.
It's a thing called Deutsches Amateur-Jazz Festival 1958 Düsseldorf. Jaki Liebezeit plays on one song on it, aged 20, under his "real" name of Hans. It precedes the first listing on his discogs page - Voices, by Manfred Schoof Quintett, pictured on my avatar - by 8 years. There's a good chance it's his first ever recording. A friend of mine who owns a record shop in Berlin told me about it about two months ago. He had just sold a copy...I tried to track it down but the buyer wouldn't even tell me what year it was, and my friend couldn't remember. He spotted it on ebay last week and gave me the heads up. Could not fucking believe it. My friend gave me a rough estimate of €65. I figure someone else must have known who played on it...I hope it wasn't a family member or whatever. I'm going to rip the tune and send it to Jaki's friends in Cologne when (fingers crossed) it gets delivered.
fucking sweet

congrats

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's a version of this. The band leader is a guy called Gerhard Hoffmann. It may be this guy, who is amazing...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back