E-Book Reader (1 Viewer)

I've got one of the Sony ones. Felt a bit weird about it until I started loading it up with stuff to read, now I really like it. Except it hasn't really stopped me buying books, it just means that I can commute and read huge tomes like Infinite Jest and Anathem without actually breaking my back.

Does anyone have one? What do you think of the idea?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00154JDAI/?tag=thumpedcom-20

immediately I would assume i'd never like it and I need real books and a big bookcase and well-thumbed volumes and this is a stupid idea etc.

but I dunno, maybe it's good?

The Kindle won't work outside the US, and knowing how small our market is it's unlikely they'll ever go about making it available to Irish punters (the problem is that's it's bundled with a data package from a cellphone network) much like the iTunes store won't do TV shows for Ireland.

The Sony one looks nice, might treat myself at Xmas.

I met a chick on the Dart to Malahide when I was pissed on my way to a wedding one day who was reading an electronic book.I had'nt thought of it till now, but I was fucking blown away(as was she)by the sheer readability of the yoke.She was sound as well.She got it for a present and only had some of the 100 free books(all public domain, but deadly) that came with it.
She was reading George Elliot,which I endorsed heartily but I advised her that you can get thousands of titles for thise yokes on torrents.

I want one.

I would like one, but am waiting until they come down in price a bit. It's no problem bringing books on the bus every day. It's just that lots of cool sci-fi and fantasy writers are only releasing their stuff in electronic format now. I mean, you can always get a file off them and read it on your computer, but that is tough on the eyes and not so portable.

would you eyes not be wrecked from reading a book on one of them yokes?

not with this new eInk stuff, or whatever its called. im mad to get one of them but they seem a bit pricey for something that basically just displays text in black and white. still, maybe at christmass. i dont know if i'd use them for novels but they'd be handy for reference books, and things of general curiosity value that i wouldnt buy but could download off torrent sites. i feel no qualms about downloading music and not paying for it but as i salivate at the prospect of getting one of these gadgets i do feel a certain horror about books going the same way as the mp3s. i would still buy books though as i cant help myself when i go in a book shop.

You can put PDFs on the Kindle, but you have to email them to Amazon first and then they'll send them wirelessly to your Kindle. For a price.

Stupid.

Was reading today that Asus are rumoured to be launching a dual-screen e-reader for mad cheap, like $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back