Dudley Corpo/Paul O'Reilly split 7" (2 Viewers)

snap-apple

Supporter
Since 2000
nice tunes, nicely packaged - only criticism would be that the tunes don't complement each other very well in that Paul O's is bass heavy (i know there's no bass guitar) and the Duds sound a wee bit tinny but nice job overall. forgive my ignorance but how much stuff do scientific laboratories churn out?

Surely one of the points behind a split single (as far as I'm concerned) is to have two very diverse styles so that you get to hear stuff you might not otherwise, all for the price of a regular 7"?

Thank you.
Umm... the idea behind the CorpoReilly single was that both sides would sound very different. And it was sort of done on a whim. It seemed a good idea when watching Paul play in the Blue Room in November.
Two months later it was out.
Since I'm currently skint it's unlikely there'll be any more churning until the next Arse LP.

ahhhhhhhhh http:www/scientificlaboratories.com should've known. nice work.
kirstie - no, surely a 7" with only two songs should have songs that do complement each other to introduce people that know one person's music quite well to another that they don't know but may like - i suppose it's all about how you want to market the product. That's like saying we should get gigs with Tooth and Paul O'Reilly - shit that did happen didn't it? But can you see my point? Anyway musically Paul O and this Dudley song would probably complement each other but not here because of the production. I'm just saying if both songs had been done in the same place and produced by the same person type thing that they would complement each other better - but i'm not complaining - can't expect ultra hi-fi sound when the songs were recorded in respective bedrooms. And while we're on that point, why do people always record in bedrooms, why not the living room or somewhere more spacious?

sorry joss - i wrote that last one before i saw your one. well i suppose if the idea was to have contrast that's grand. as i say my main point was on the production sound and not musical style. who cares eh? they're bloody nice songs.

Actually the Corpo are much noisier live than they are on record so no, they're not really remotely like Paul O'Reilly who is very quiet.

However, silly ole me wasn't aware of the proper rules governing split singles obviously. Bad boy Joss - how could you be so uncaring of your public as to give them a diverse offering, eh??

hey hey kirstie I wasn't having a go at you and I can see the point in having contrasting styles but on the other side look at the way most of the road relish singles were done - complementary styles also rednecks and kabinboy (was it?) can't remeber but again complementary stuff. i'm not saying there's got to be a hard and fast rule and in this case most people that read the stuff on thumped would be familiar with both acts but i know plenty of people who would not be as familiar with the Dudley Corporation as they are with Paul O'Reilly and maybe they would be expecting something along the same lines as he with the gilded voice and plucky fingers. As I said I like the end result personally.

Actually Road Relish is a case in point - some of them are 2 similar styles, like Songs:Ohia and Glen Hansard but some of them aren't - The Kabinboy / Large Mound and TRM / The Idiots splits spring to mind. In discussion with Joss just now we have decided that all future split single releases must have a death metal side and a reggae side. So now.

conor - heres a suggestion
why dont YOU put out a 7inch featuring 2 bands you like and feel "compliment" each other greatly.
and then we can all post about it on an internet message board, maybe you could get a producers like STock Aitken and Waterman to do BOTH bands!

kirstie - metal/reggae yes! tooth/boogie chillum - I can see it now...jeeeeez lay off - i said i liked the bloody thing.

andy - why is it i only see your name whenever people are having a go at me? like to hunt in packs do you eh?

John - ask me hole. Paul O'Reilly is special.

Now children, peace and love to all and have a good weekend.

you're in tcd too, i hadnt noticed that, no really.

i have replied TWICE to you -
one with regard to what looked like a horridly sycophantic post
and one suggesting you put out a 7inch yourself that way you can do it exactly how you'd like it

hunting in packs? please lets not get paranoid
i dont even know who you are

andy

andy - that's fine - let us forget all about my paranoia.
seriously though I would like to be in a position to setup a label and release stuff (who wouldn't) but not sure i could do as top a job as the sci lab/road relish/alpha relish etc. peeps. if and when i do you'll be the first to know.

Ah he's a great little fella all the same though, isn't he?

Unless you're a gnome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back