Dublin venue capacities (1 Viewer)

bohs punks

Website
Visit site
so what is the various sizes of venues in dublin for gigs?

The Tap - 140 - 150 plus 5 bands on saturday night (door money was 1355 and there was a few who paid less than 10 or not at all so about 145-150), say this was max for comfort.

bohs - about 130 plus 6 bands at street punk fest and was absolute max for comfort

international, Thomas house, boom boom room - i'd put all these around 80 people ish.

lower deck?
dorans?
whelans upstairs?
academy 2?

anywhere else?

there was 200+ in the boom boom for the adebisi launch. you wouldnt want to try that again. thomas house is tiny and laid out awfully, i'd never try and do a gig there unless i thought only 20-30 people would show up.

lower deck i think can take 150 fairly comfortably if people come down in front of the stage. there's been 250 in there before and still been managable.

dorans i reckon can hold 300-350 and is where i reckon you should do this gig (unless you could get and are willing to pay for whelans, which'd be ideal).

never been to whelans upstairs but i'm told it's 100 max.

and the academy 2, i've never been there either but i'm not sure if we can even talk about it on this thread :)

so what is the various sizes of venues in dublin for gigs?

The Tap - 140 - 150 plus 5 bands on saturday night (door money was 1355 and there was a few who paid less than 10 or not at all so about 145-150), say this was max for comfort.

bohs - about 130 plus 6 bands at street punk fest and was absolute max for comfort

international, Thomas house, boom boom room - i'd put all these around 80 people ish.

lower deck?
dorans?
whelans upstairs?
academy 2?

anywhere else?

we had about 300 in dorans twice...thats the max capacity
academy2 is the same sort of size
we had 180 paying, plus 5 bands and a load of freeloaders into the lower deck, so about 220...but very uncomfortably
whelans upstairs is about 100 or so i reckon
the hub (or whatever its called now) is te 250 - 300 sort of thing
the button factory is an amazing venue, great sound and PA and lights, 400 capacity i think, but not cheap
village is max 500
voodoo reopening soon i think, 300 is the alleged capacity, but we had 480 in at thye KSU gig
crawdaddy is about 200 capacity, but may be closed

that any good to ya?

Button Factory is 700+, recently Primordial had 700 payers then ~50 guest list. Obviously including the balcony.

250 in the Lower Deck? Jesus. I remember Drainland/Altar of Plagues/Wereju/De Nov/Bats in there and it was sardine city. Think there was just under 110 at that gig.

Theres a real need for a venue that works on the same basis as the tap but holds 250 - 300, the gig was citizen fish but all that was on offer over the bohs /tap/ lower deck level was venues with expensive prices to hire (when they were going to get a load of drinkers given to them), bouncers, curfews etc and even then most were booked out. wihout pa's connections etc it was going to be a 500 charge and a 10.30 curfew with bouncers - workable but not ideal.

this makes sense on so many levels, the bouncer situation, gigs could be cheaper- the cost of a gig can be divided between 250 people rather than 130 people - bigger venues should mean cheaper prices not more expensive-basic economics of cost divided by customer base.

surely in a recession between the gigs going on organised by people on here and moshspace etc a venue could be found where the landlord could see the value in offering free hire / cheap hire and a relaxed working relationship in return for bar sales etc.

the tap is the model, not looking for a giros / warzone situation though that would be ideal. function room, 250/300 people near the city / transport.

the tap, bohs, the temple became venues from people asking them rather than them looking for punks - there must be places out there??? the pucan in galway woudl be an ideal size

yeah, it just takes a bit of walking around, scoping out and taking to owners. definitely way more potential right now than any time in the last ten years.

the only problem with this would be that you'd need to get a decent, big pa to be able to have any kind of decent sound in a bigger room.

right now, in the 250-300 bracket, dorans only costs between 150-300 (depending on the night), soundman included, you can run till 11.30 and is bang in the centre of town. of course its not perfect, they have bouncers (sometimes sound, sometimes not) and the beer situation is beyond a joke.

anyone know whats the story with booking fibbers? again its far from perfect but it definitely holds 300+ and has a few things going for it (cheap beer, cool smoking area, regular clientele)

How many does Major Toms hold?
I have a connection.The guy is looking to have gigs there.He's struggling big time but I've never been in the place so I don't know anything about it capacity wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back