Dublin film festival (1 Viewer)

Got me tix for the new Herzog flick & the Scott Walker documentary. Unfortunately, I'm gonna be abroad for most of the festival so didn't consider much else.
Not as good as last year's line-up...on paper at least.

you swine!!
Nice
One
you covering it or summat?
nah.
dont mean to toot my own horn but

Nine Irish Invited To Berlinale Talent Campus
02-Jan-07

Nine Irish filmmaking professionals have been selected to participate in the 2007 Berlinale Talent Campus. The Campus takes place parallel to the Berlinale Film Festival (8 - 18 Feb) and works as an intensive week-long academy for some of the worlds most talented up and coming filmmakers.
The 2007 campus received 3678 applications from 129 countries. Organisers have invited 350 professionals to attend the academy where they will meet renowned film professionals and industry experts. The ‘07 campus theme is "Home Affairs. Privacy, Films and Politics,” focusing on the search for cultural identity in a global –and globalized– film business.

The nine Irish filmmakers invited are:
Colm Quinn – Director, Screen Writer
John Wallace - Producer
David Tynan – Director, Screen Writer
Luke Franklin – Director, Cinematographer
Jane Lee – Director, Production Designer, Art Director
Donal Foreman - Film Critic, Journalist
Vincent Gallagher – Cinematographer, Director
Briona Mc Ardle - Cinematographer
Gareth Averill - Sound Designer, Composer Director

im gareth averill. (hello)
pretty great. got sponsorship and everything. im chuffed.

So what have people seen so far?
Lights in the dusk was really enjoyable - Looked great, the usual deadpan delivery and odd acting. Lovely stuff.
Highlight so far for me - The Lives of Others - terrific film; also The Good German - looked amazing!

Just the Scott Walker documentary...really enjoyed it too.

Going to see The Family Friend tonight...or is it tomorrow?!

That's tonight - Darn,this sounds really good. I didn't know about this film. Keep meaning to check out 'The consequences of love' - is it worth a look?

Consequences Of Love is one of the best films I've ever seen.
Existentialism never looked so sharp!

Scott Walker doco was really really great, unmissable for any fan

Thought this was a complete wasted opportunity. He came across quite well himself and was doing a fine job of providing information and context for his records etc so who gave a tuppenny fuck what Johnny Marr, Damon Albarn, Dot Allisson, Allson Goldfrapp, Gavin fucking Friday, Jarvis Cocker etc etc thought about anything. And then extended screen saver type animations to accompany tracks off Tilt and the Drift was just poor. Potential for this to have been good was high but it was a balls in the end. I would much rather have just listened to him talk about his work than all the other 60 minutes of filler. And the interview with him was presented as an add on i.e. "We've been editing for a few weeks now and there's just a few things we'd like to clarify, staring with....".
Whatevers.

Thought this was a complete wasted opportunity. He came across quite well himself and was doing a fine job of providing information and context for his records etc so who gave a tuppenny fuck what Johnny Marr, Damon Albarn, Dot Allisson, Allson Goldfrapp, Gavin fucking Friday, Jarvis Cocker etc etc thought about anything. And then extended screen saver type animations to accompany tracks off Tilt and the Drift was just poor. Potential for this to have been good was high but it was a balls in the end. I would much rather have just listened to him talk about his work than all the other 60 minutes of filler. And the interview with him was presented as an add on i.e. "We've been editing for a few weeks now and there's just a few things we'd like to clarify, staring with....".
Whatevers.

Pretty much exactly what I was feeling...wasn't really a revelation watching some popstar nodding to a Scott tune. And those awful new age animations, fuck that. Also, what was with the sound coming apparently from one PC speaker and the image being pixelated and moire'd to fuck especially when zoom was in use? Did they use some new Nokia phone to shoot this?

That said, it had its moments, guess theren't much video of him in the archives to use, but more of the interview would've been welcome.

Lives of Others was my highlight, only eclipsed by the brilliant This Is England yesterday. Lights in the Dusk was still good, though I'll have to prbably downgrade it off my personal Kaurismäki Top 5.

Letters from Iwo Jima tonight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back