Dublin film festival (2 Viewers)

Pretty much exactly what I was feeling...wasn't really a revelation watching some popstar nodding to a Scott tune. And those awful new age animations, fuck that. Also, what was with the sound coming apparently from one PC speaker and the image being pixelated and moire'd to fuck especially when zoom was in use? Did they use some new Nokia phone to shoot this?

That said, it had its moments, guess theren't much video of him in the archives to use, but more of the interview would've been welcome.

Lives of Others was my highlight, only eclipsed by the brilliant This Is England yesterday. Lights in the Dusk was still good, though I'll have to prbably downgrade it off my personal Kaurismäki Top 5.

Letters from Iwo Jima tonight...

What is the deal with the sound in the IFI during the festival? Was breaking up all over the place last night anytime the levels got a bit hot. I remember that happening during the Doclands stuff but put it down to a lot of that material being shown off DVD and played through seperate speakers. Surely not the case for the DIFF though?

I enjoyed This is England, though for me The Lives of Others far outstripped it.
Did you catch the Q&A after? Pretty enjoyable.

yeh he sounded nuts! they were taking some chance casting a kid like that, but he was great in it; a rivetting screen presence; and a very realistic and 'true' performance - same for most everyone in it really.
I'd no idea Meadows didn't work from a script - the dialogue is pretty damn good for improv.

The first shot at the schoolyard was a bit weird...the costume designers had gone mad! Looked like an electroclash party. In the rest of the film it was toned down to somewhat realistic though

Think I'll just go to the shorts.

When they show a "surprise film" at these festivals, is it usually something old or something new (or borrowed or blue?!), and is it ever anything crap?

I can imagine everyone sitting there excited thinking they're gonna get 2008's big indie movie and then the credits come on and they realise it's just Norbert.

Think I'll just go to the shorts.

When they show a "surprise film" at these festivals, is it usually something old or something new (or borrowed or blue?!), and is it ever anything crap?

I can imagine everyone sitting there excited thinking they're gonna get 2008's big indie movie and then the credits come on and they realise it's just Norbert.
It's usually a crowd pleaser. Last year was Squid and the Whale. Last time I went, it was Starsky and Hutch. Was not impressed.

This was great. Great to see on the big screen. Lovely room in the Gallery too. The music, an original score by 3epkano, was excellent. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Wayward Cloud was amazing, Why We Fight was a decent documentary about the Iraq war, surprise film was disappointing (Frank Millers 300).

All in all, a good festival...back to DVD's for now

Top 10 of the 10 films I saw at this:

1. This is Britain
2. Wayward Cloud
3. Mutual Appreciation
4. Lights in the Dusk
5. Lives of Others
6. Why We Fight
7. Scott Walker: 30th Century Man
8. 300
9. Rescue Dawn
10. Letters from Iwo Jima

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back