Does vinyl sound better? (3 Viewers)

12" Vinyls albums that you play at 45rpm freak me out. And the fuckers never say on them what speed you're meant to play them at.

Some craic when I bought a few Burial 10" this summer too. Had to listen on spotify to figure out if I had the right speed or not.

Pricks

12" Vinyls albums that you play at 45rpm freak me out. And the fuckers never say on them what speed you're meant to play them at.

Some craic when I bought a few Burial 10" this summer too. Had to listen on spotify to figure out if I had the right speed or not.

Pricks
Or records with different speeds on each side (eg GYBE Slow Riot EP).

I think one thing that's going to hurt the vinyl boom is the prices. I was looking aound Tower last week & some of the prices are way up there. Who is handing over €100 - €200 for vinyl boxsets?
Like any craze, the resurgence of vinyl is rife with opportunities to gouge the public. RSD being a prime example.

Last edited:
I think one thing that's going to hurt the vinyl boom is the prices. I was looking aound Tower last week & some of the prices are way up there. Who is handing over €100 - €200 for vinyl boxsets?
Like any craze, the resurgence of vinyl is rife with opportunities to gouge the public. RSD being a prime example.

does anyone else find Tower the most boring shop in Ireland? I find it impossible to go there and just browse anymore, so I avoid unless I know there's something specific i want to buy. And it's way too expensive. Maybe that's not entirely their fault but it seems way cheaper to buy on the internets.

Was in Fopp the other day and the new Oh Sees was £34 on vinyl, £9.99 on CD. Really wanted it, but can't allow myself to spend that sort of money on a record, just nuts.

Prices in tower seem kinda all over the place. One new record might be €22 and the next one €32. That suggests to me that the prices are already all over the gaff before they do their own pricing.

i was in someone's house recently and the only two books he had were a jordan peterson one and a coffee table book about vinyl records, called VINYL

make of that what you will

I have that coffee table VINYL book too as I was given it for a present. I don't have a Jordan Peterson book though and would dissociate myself from anyone who tried to give me one as a present.

Vinyl prices are ridiculous all right. I refuse to pay over 30. And that's up from my previous limit of 25. However, Tower sale stuff has got a bit better recently. Pickup up a Thalia Zadek record for 10 quid last week. It's not great though.

I've paid over 30 for mail orders from artists.

I've also priced duplication for my own ventures.

Even at that they were selling their shirt.

I vinyl prices are ridiculous all right. I refuse to pay over 30. And that's up from my previous limit of 25. However, Tower sale stuff has got a bit better recently. Pickup up a Thalia Zadek record for 10 quid last week. It's not great though.
yeah, seems they've offloading their thrill jockey overstocks. i got a couple of kid millions related l.p.s last week in the easons branch for keen prices (people of the north @ €5 and man forever @ €10) but i also reluctantly paid €25 for the new sea and cake. says a lot when we're lauding their sale prices.

what's a reasonable price for a new l.p.? €17.99? €22.99 for doubles?

record shops don't belong in prime retail space anymore.

Prices in tower seem kinda all over the place. One new record might be €22 and the next one €32. That suggests to me that the prices are already all over the gaff before they do their own pricing.
yup, was there for the first time in a while over the Summer. Crazy pricing going on. Ended up not buying anything besides the warlords of pez album on cd for a quid. really not a nice shop to browse around in general I think

i was in someone's house recently and the only two books he had were a jordan peterson one and a coffee table book about vinyl records, called VINYL

make of that what you will
I make of it that you should not return to that house

yeah, seems they've offloading their thrill jockey overstocks. i got a couple of kid millions related l.p.s last week in the easons branch for keen prices (people of the north @ €5 and man forever @ €10) but i also reluctantly paid €25 for the new sea and cake. says a lot when we're lauding their sale prices.

what's a reasonable price for a new l.p.? €17.99? €22.99 for doubles?

record shops don't belong in prime retail space anymore.

I'd say 18 and 24/25.

A minimum quantity of 300 records duplicated at Dublin Vynils costs about 1305 euro for a reasonably nice package (price at time of posting). Factor in recording and mastering costs of maybe a conservative 2000 euro. Factor in rehearsal space costs over a year of maybe 600 euro.

Without factoring touring costs, a record made in Ireland by an Irish artist is costing the artist about 13 euro a record before it gets delivered, before the store add the markup and before any income for the band is possible. Basically the break-even price.

If the artist is 100% DIY and their time and ability is to be considered as completely worthless then theoretically an album could be around 5 euro if they hand deliver it to every record store.

If the artist wanted to make no money, but at least fund the rehearsing and the recording of another record then they'd be looking at pre-markup price of 21EU.

Don't play gigs for free kids!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back