Does vinyl sound better? (1 Viewer)

A minor complaint, not strictly on topic..

I recently got Richard Hawley's new one; double album , gate-fold sleeve

Those words usually fill me with pleasure but in this case there is no need whatsoever to split it over two platters. Two normal length songs on one side means too much getting up to flip the record over. It's actually preventing me from getting into the record. It comes with a download code. I rarely use these but in this case I'll make an exception.

Or I could just grab them from here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Those words usually fill me with pleasure but in this case there is no need whatsoever to split it over two platters. ]

It's actually a bit of a thing nowadays to re-issue single LPs as double LPs under the pretense of better fidelity despite the fact that the original was 40 mins or so. It's just money grabbing.

All this kind of reminds me of how I bought YOB's and Pallbearer's albums last year. They ended up being double vinyl albums with 1 song on each side. I actually prefer the Spotify versions that don't require me standing up every 10 minutes.

I bought Ghost's latest " Meliora" on vinyl as part of their limited edition box set--ridiculous and fantastic at the same time. Look at all this stuff!

meliora.jpg

But....The LP in the box set isn't a gate-fold sleeve (which includes the artwork booklet) so I had no choice but to buy the gate-fold sleeve edition as well

because I have too much money and no sense

It's actually a bit of a thing nowadays to re-issue single LPs as double LPs under the pretense of better fidelity despite the fact that the original was 40 mins or so. It's just money grabbing.
The only album I can think of where this is a good thing is Nick Cave's Murder Ballads. The original is a single LP with too much packed onto each side, it sounds like ass.

Nirvana In Utero reissue on 2 45rpm records sounds unbelievably good.

I'm totally sold on this reel to reel tape thing though

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does vinyl LOOK better??

Last man to give up on vinyl mixes it with EY entrepreneurs

Last man to give up on vinyl mixes it with EY entrepreneurs
Boss of GZ Media rides high on revival of old format

about 3 hours ago Updated: 50 minutes ago

Eoin Burke-Kennedy
image.jpg

Not only did vinyl survive the CD revolution, it is now thriving in a music buying industry dominated by iTunes and streaming sites such as Spotify

Zdenek Pelc cuts something of an odd figure at the EY World Entrepreneur of the Year awards in Monaco.

Instead of developing a new technology, the Czech Republic’s representative rescued an old one.

His company GZ Media is the world’s biggest producer of vinyl records. He claims to have been the last man standing when CDs chased vinyl out of the market in the late 1980s.

At one point, his company had produced 40 million vinyl albums. However, by 1994 it was producing just 300,000 to a dwindling group of analogue junkies.

Pelc said he kept the machines running half out of nostalgia and half to capture a shrinking volume of sales as others left the market.

“But like a phoenix from the ashes, it has returned,” he told The Irish Times at the EY awards event.

He agreed with the thesis that the revival was partly down to nostalgia and partly a rebellion against the perfect “digital sound”.

But he also highlighted the fact that vinyl has a possessive quality that intangible downloads and streaming lacks. “The look and feel is superior to other formats,” he said.

Not only did vinyl survive the CD revolution, it is now thriving in a music buying industry dominated by iTunes and streaming sites such as Spotify.

Last year’s GZ Media’s sales eclipsed 18 million and Pelc forecasts they will hit 25 million for 2016.

New line
He also claims to be the only manufacturer in the world to have produced a new line of vinyl pressing machines, which have streamlined the process since its heyday in the early 1980s.
There are no reliable statistics for global sales of vinyl records, but Pelc reckons the company commands about 20 per cent of the market, having witnessed 7-10 per cent growth annually since the late 1990s, albeit from a low base.

In 2015, sales of vinyl records in the US, the world’s largest market, grew by 30 per cent to just under 12 million. It marked the tenth consecutive year that sales have grown. Even Tesco is now stocking records in the old format.

Pelc joined GZ Media in the early 1980s, becoming an investor when the company was privatised after the fall of Communism, and later its owner. His 32 years in charge makes him the longest serving chief executive in Czech history.

In addition to vinyl, the company, which employs 2,000 people, makes CDs, DVDs and packaging for a range of companies and products, and boasts an annual turnover of $100 million.

Last year, the company acquired a vinyl record producing firm in Memphis and is currently in the process of building another near Toronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back