Does anyone else have a problem with TV? (1 Viewer)

Unlike the internet, teletext is broadcast, so it does not slow down further as the number of users increase. It has proved to be a reliable text news service during events such as the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, during which the webpages of major news sites became inaccessible due to unexpected demand.

Teletext > internet

Television has Arrested Development so it's ok by me

It depends what you're looking at. You could be mainlining pure fact on wikipedia - or lolling around in the depths of youtube watching the funny man fall off the bicycle! Hee hee heh heh hee.

Er...that second part was supposed to be sarcasm
(note to self - sarcasm doesn't work in text)

Anybody up for starting a gang of anti-tv anarchists dressed like ninjas who break onto the set of Tubridy tonight and force Ryan to, I dunno, eat his own hands on air or something?

These can be our weapons:
https://secure.adbusters.org/orders/tvbgone/

One week from now I will have television for real after a 3 1/2 year hiatus. I cannot fucking wait.

A few weeks ago, at Mr Jane's house (where they have NTL), I watched something like four straight hours of My Super Sweet 16, and at one point, was flicking between that and the Golden Girls. I could not have been out-blissed.

Having no TV has not actually made me more productive, so it was a failed experiment that needs to end, and I need digital cable to help me end it. I just spend more time on the internet, which means more time in a less comfortable chair.

Why watch man fall off funny bike on you tube when I could watch all dumb all the time? Hooray for dumb. Dumb make me feel smart.

SIX MORE DAYS, folks. I fucking love TV.

also tv has spongebob, peep show, old simpsons...

i am currently rewatching my so called life on dvd...|..|

why are so many good shows cancelled?i dont think i can live wthout gob bluth..

Skrankio-X

what's your opinion of people who have a television set but no television cable provider?

i.e they cannot receive television broadcasts.

but merely use the television set for watching DVDs.

I refuse to accept that watching movies through a laptop / personal computer screen is preferable to watching them on a television set.

Lots of you television-haters seem to miss that salient point.

Television died in 1989. Mostly.

Skrankio-X
I refuse to accept that watching movies through a laptop / personal computer screen is preferable to watching them on a television set.

My issue isn't really with the medium - I'm more concerned with the larger fact of vast heaps of junk TV and movies floating around.

Whether you sit entranced by cheap spectacle in front of a TV set or a computer monitor is beside the point.

I know its an unpopular view but I just sorta resent the way people walk into a room and switch on the lights and TV by instinct.

TV is not all bad - its just that all the good things are tiny islands in a vast sea of shite and ads.

My issue isn't really with the medium - I'm more concerned with the larger fact of vast heaps of junk TV and movies floating around.

Whether you sit entranced by cheap spectacle in front of a TV set or a computer monitor is beside the point.

I know its an unpopular view but I just sorta resent the way people walk into a room and switch on the lights and TV by instinct.

TV is not all bad - its just that all the good things are tiny islands in a vast sea of shite and ads.

It's not an unpopular view, and you're far from being one of its early proponents. There have been TV-naysayers just like there were radio naysayers, just like there were photography naysayers.

The thing is, there's nothing wrong with TV as long as you know what to expect of it. It's like saying you hate music or books just because the rubbish outnumbers the good stuff. Or like saying you hate snack food because it's bad for you. Just like there's no bad food, only bad habits (and you don't eat a chocolate bar expecting a gourmet meal) or mixed-up expectations. I agree that most of it is shite and ads, but the thing is, but even things that look slick and shiny can sometimes turn out to be worth watching.

There's some amazing television, some really smart, imaginative stuff being made right now. First and most importantly, the Sopranos (made by a guy who thought Twin Peaks was the only decent series in the history of television) genuinely upped the stakes for television drama, which means that everyone is trying harder these days. Then, as muffin pointed out, there is SpongeBob SquarePants, which is so incredibly funny, so clever that it doesn't have to wear its cleverness on its sleeve and is just plain unmitigated genius of the highest order (FAO Muffin: Sponge Bob sings a power ballad to a krabby patty in Episode 87 that will make you punch the air and weep floods of joyous tears, if you haven't already seen it on Nick). You might not think it because it's a cartoon with high production values with extensive product tie-ins, etc. But it's actually popular for a good reason.

I do wish there were room on today's TV for something like The World at War. It's a big bummer that that probably wouldn't get made today. Then again, because there's more TV in general now, there's more rubbish, but most of it has always been rubbish. An increased volume of production in any medium of popular culture has done very little to change the ratio of shite to quality material. Maybe your dissatisfaction with TV is partly due to a combination of there being too much choice, and a notion that you expect TV to do the thinking for you?

And anyway, it's nice to be comfortable enough in one's own intelligence that a night in front of Wife Swap doesn't feel like some kind of twisted intellectual parasuicide.

FIVE days now until NTL. FUCKING CLASS.

Skrankio-X

what's your opinion of people who have a television set but no television cable provider?

i.e they cannot receive television broadcasts.

but merely use the television set for watching DVDs.

I don't even watch TV through a television set, I use my pc with a tv tuner card, and have done for about 4 years.

There really isn't very much that I watch on TV, I love some of the UK tv documentaries though, and Discovery can be good.

I avoid looking at RTE as much as possible as it just makes me angry to see what they spend my TV licence money on - I find it's better if I don't know.

I don't even watch TV through a television set, I use my pc with a tv tuner card, and have done for about 4 years.

There really isn't very much that I watch on TV, I love some of the UK tv documentaries though, and Discovery can be good.

I avoid looking at RTE as much as possible as it just makes me angry to see what they spend my TV licence money on - I find it's better if I don't know.

If I've read the rest of the thread correctly, then I don't think Skrankio-X would approve of that situation as you are watching television broadcasts and he/she's 'issue isn't really with the medium'.

When I was in secondary school there was one person whose parents would not allow them have a television set in the house. He was forced to listen to the 1985 Barry McGuigan world title fight on the radio.

15 years later the guy's father becomes the head of a commitee to bring Chorus piped television to remote rural areas.

On the couple of occasions that I have encountered that man I remind him of his hypocrisy. He doesn't like it.

If I've read the rest of the thread correctly, then I don't think Skrankio-X would approve of that situation as you are watching television broadcasts and he/she's 'issue isn't really with the medium'.

I was referring/responding to your suggestion that watching DVDs on a television set was somehow superior or preferable to watching them on a computer screen.

My other comments regarding the lack of quality of what is available to watch and my lack of interest generally in television "entertainment", with the exception of informative programmes that might add to my level of knowledge, were aimed at answering Skrankio's initial question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back