Does anyone else have a problem with TV? (1 Viewer)

Skrankio-X

Website
www.myspace.com
This is my first ever post, so I want to kick off by getting something off my chest:
Over the last few years I've been nurturing a searing hatred for television.

I just find it completely ABSURD when I walk into a room and there's people lying around, staring at a screen which is usually showing one of the following:

-Shootings, explosions, gunfights, murder, torture etc.
-Bad quality soaps that are "so unrealistic they might as well be set on the fucking moon" (-Charlie Brooker), usually made up of a neverending series of arguments spiralling round each other in a vicious circle of grim stupidity.
-Ads for crap that no-one needs, patronising to anyone who has a shred of self respect.
-Reality TV. Cheap. Exploitative. Vacuous. Trash. We lap it up.

Television promotes materialism and apathy. There's a creeping tide of junk surrounding us and nobody seems to mind. Stop watching CSI, please.

I would like to see more people throw their set:

OUT THE WINDOW!

I can't express myself very well without spending too much time. Help me.
Do you agree? Disagree?

One more thing:
"American children and adolescents spend 22 to 28 hours per week viewing television, more than any other activity except sleeping. By the age of 70 they will have spent 7 to 10 years of their lives watching TV."
(-- The Kaiser Family Foundation)

Our TV got cut off over a year ago.
It's amazing...totally promotes coversation!

And ya can still stock up on the good shit like The Wire and The Sopranos on DVD.
It just cuts out all the mindless sitting around.*

*that's what the internet is for.

yeah, the tvs a few years old now and sometimes it won't come out of stand-by mode, unless i power it off and back on again - but this might be a problem with the remote control

It's no worse than sitting in front of a computer looking at the internet.

It depends what you're looking at. You could be mainlining pure fact on wikipedia - or lolling around in the depths of youtube watching the funny man fall off the bicycle! Hee hee heh heh hee.

At least Ads just sort of pass you by on the internet. You can become totally blind and immune.

or else ads keep popping up everywhere or embedded in the side of the screen while you're trying to read something else. On TV you could be watching news, election coverage, documentaries or something reall funny that lasts for more than 30 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back