Doctor Doctor. (2 Viewers)

jane said:
pilates is about strength, stretching and alignment and is slightly more 'active' (less boring).
well, i suppose it kind of depends on the style of yoga you do. my teacher does something called dynamic hatha and i find it pretty damn active/strength-building. it's also done very impressive things for my posture - i didn't realize how much my shoulders used to slump forward before.

minka said:
well, i suppose it kind of depends on the style of yoga you do. my teacher does something called dynamic hatha and i find it pretty damn active/strength-building. it's also done very impressive things for my posture - i didn't realize how much my shoulders used to slump forward before.
I've tried doing yoga, and I don't mind it, I just can't get into it. I'm also not a fan of the 'group exercise' atmosphere and find that pilates is something I'm more likely to do on my own at home once I've suffered through the initial course. I did yoga for a few months, and it certainly produced a few perceptible benefits on my posture, but I didn't really stick with it.

I'm also very clumsy, so pilates better suits my lack of ability to do anything; it also caters to my lack of patience with 'getting results' quickly. I probably should do both, though, since pilates is all physical and will do little for my stress.

Where do you do this hatha yoga thing?

The Alexander Technique isn't like yoga or pilates - there are no excercises, apparently. You just learn to use your body differently, then you do that all the time
You can't learn it from a book though, you need to go to lessons and they're around €40 a pop :(

jane said:
I've tried doing yoga, and I don't mind it, I just can't get into it. I'm also not a fan of the 'group exercise' atmosphere and find that pilates is something I'm more likely to do on my own at home once I've suffered through the initial course. I did yoga for a few months, and it certainly produced a few perceptible benefits on my posture, but I didn't really stick with it.

I'm also very clumsy, so pilates better suits my lack of ability to do anything; it also caters to my lack of patience with 'getting results' quickly. I probably should do both, though, since pilates is all physical and will do little for my stress.

Where do you do this hatha yoga thing?
i do it in a nifty place called the elbowroom in stoneybatter, which is run by a friend of mine - though i'm not just shilling for business for her, honest. i think my teacher (tanya fitzpatrick) does dynamic yoga classes elsewhere in town as well.

i was really surprised at how much i've gotten into it, to be honest, as i am quite spectacularly uncoordinated and spent most of my life convinced that i would never be good at anything "physical" (stop sniggering at the back, there). it's the only organized exercise thing i've done that hasn't bored the bejesus out of me, and where i've noticed myself improving on a fairly steady basis. i'm still not terribly good, mind, but i'm getting a lot out of it.

minka said:
i do it in a nifty place called the elbowroom in stoneybatter, which is run by a friend of mine - though i'm not just shilling for business for her, honest. i think my teacher (tanya fitzpatrick) does dynamic yoga classes elsewhere in town as well.

my mind is boggling at what the taxi drivers class might involve:

1. the effective spouting of ill-informed right-wing views so as to enrage your captive passengers
2. creative overcharging, especially of tourists
3. advanced driving like a lunatic techniques
4. how to get that authentic smell of old vomit in *your* cab
5. how to delicately broach the topic with attractive and drunken females that there might be alternative ways of paying the fare

etc etc

check out www.bikramyoga.ie

it's run by my friend Anne, and it's really good, it's like athletic yoga or something. It's in 45 degrees celsius so you feel like you're in India and your muscles get all hot and supple, mmmmmm

I did it a couple of times, I was fucked afterwards

that sounds pretty deadly actually... so, snakey, you reckon if i do this, i'll stop feeling so fucking weird all the time?
snakybus said:
check out www.bikramyoga.ie

it's run by my friend Anne, and it's really good, it's like athletic yoga or something. It's in 45 degrees celsius so you feel like you're in India and your muscles get all hot and supple, mmmmmm

snakybus said:

Was that included in the course fee?

Re: taxi drivers' class. Yeah, I saw that and had a good chuckle.

The scary thing is that if these guys are taking classes to combat the behaviours Kirstie listed, imagine what they'd be like if they weren't?

My favourite taxi driver experience in recent months, apart from being completely ripped off on a regular basis, was a driver sleazing on me. His son lives in my building, and he made some remark about knowing where I live, and I had a month to 'think it over', and he might stop by sometime. Eek. That was two or three months ago, though, and no sign of him, thank GOD.

Sometimes, if I just want to be entertained with standard right-wing epithets, I get in and just sort of mutter, 'Immigrants', which is just like pushing play on the bigot-o-graph machine. Great fun.

Fuckin' acupuncture. My hippie parents tried to cure my shortsightedness with it when I was 10 or so. Nothing like knowing you have a weekly appointment to be stuck with pins for an hour to make a child grow up happy and needle-phobia-free. Then they tried homeopathy. Then I grew up, and tried Specsavers. Turned out you all looked better fuzzy.

hahaha

ah jane, you card

yes haggis, you'll stop feeling weird

it totally got rid of my back pain

plus you basically hang out with with a room full of yoga babes in leotards for 90 minutes, which is pretty darn cool if you're into that kind of thing

although when they fart that's not so good

why didn't I go back, you ask? well, I intend to but it's not that fun really. I mean, it's invigorating and it's healthy and you have a woody with all the women doing the whatsamajigger around you and it's probably the best thing you can do health-wise, and it's right beside my house, but I reckon if I'm gonna shell out some dough and some time, I'd prefer to run around a field with a bunch of sweaty men after an inflated pig skin. But that's just me. Everyone else raves about it.

hee hee! :D *schmak*
kstop said:
Fuckin' acupuncture. My hippie parents tried to cure my shortsightedness with it when I was 10 or so. Nothing like knowing you have a weekly appointment to be stuck with pins for an hour to make a child grow up happy and needle-phobia-free. Then they tried homeopathy. Then I grew up, and tried Specsavers. Turned out you all looked better fuzzy.

hey, how come no one gives snakey shit for saying he has a woody? eh? oh hag's so bad, did you hear what hag said, he's such an asshole. well, i've had enough. i'm going to kill snakey.

snakybus said:
why didn't I go back, you ask? well, I intend to but it's not that fun really. I mean, it's invigorating and it's healthy and you have a woody with all the women doing the whatsamajigger around you and it's probably the best thing you can do health-wise, and it's right beside my house, but I reckon if I'm gonna shell out some dough and some time, I'd prefer to run around a field with a bunch of sweaty men after an inflated pig skin. But that's just me. Everyone else raves about it.

dentist visits worry me
had some horrible experiences - my own fault -

like tooth beside wisdom tooth decaying due to wisdom tooth banging into it
agonising pain. took 8 solpadines at once to no avail

found dentist that was still open
he warned me that the tooth had to come out "but might take two attempts"

it broke and a lot was left in the gum
I had to come back following morning when there was a nurse present
drilling
blood,
many stitches

spa. that'll learn ye to brush your teeth twice a day, once before bed time and once after breakfast. like me. and if you want them to sparkle, you need to brush and floss after every meal.

nlgbbbblth said:
it broke and a lot was left in the gum
I had to come back following morning when there was a nurse present
drilling
blood,
many stitches

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back