Do you purchase irradiated food products? (1 Viewer)

Think how absolutely amazing you could be at EVERYTHING!

One of the old guys I talked about in my earlier post was a Physicist in his first career, lectured in Trinity in his second, taught literacy to travellers after that while studying full time in Trinity (anything that interested him), I can't even remember the rest of it. When his wife was diagnosed with diabetes in her 50s and given maybe a decade to live he studied nutrition, medicine and alternative therapy and kept her alive, fit and well to well into her 90s.

Total hero! I remember how annoyed he was with himself over that filling! Imagine dying at over 100 with all your own teeth and fewer fillings than most teenagers have.

I just wish I had asked him more questions.

Edited to add: Two things he was adamant about. One was raw/unprocessed/unmessed with food and the importance of making sure that the majority of what you ate fell into that category. The other was avoiding flouride.

People that live to 100 are the minority.

Most people's bodies give up on them. Chances are you'll die of heart problems, cancer or slip away with dementia.
I'm hoping for cancer.

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/08/how-many-of-you-expect-to-die/

‘How Many of You Expect to Die?’
By JANE GROSS
Not long ago Dr. Joanne Lynn, a geriatrician who pulls no punches in her frequent critiques of America’s sorry system of end-of-life care, looked out from the dais of a Washington, D.C., ballroom at a sea of middle-aged faces: health policymakers, legislative staff, advocates for the aged and for family caregivers — an audience of experts.

“How many of you expect to die?” she asked.

The audience fell silent, laughed nervously and only then, looking one to the other, slowly raised their hands.

“Would you prefer to be old when it happens?” she then asked.

This time the response was swift and sure, given the alternative.

Then Dr. Lynn, who describes herself as an “old person in training,” offered three options to the room. Who would choose cancer as the way to go? Just a few. Chronic heart failure, or emphysema? A few more.

“So all the rest of you are up for frailty and dementia?” Dr. Lynn asked.

mortality.jpg

On the screen above the dais, she showed graphs describing the three most common ways that old people die and the trajectory and duration of each scenario. Cancer deaths, which peak at age 65, usually come after many years of good health followed by a few weeks or months of steep decline, according to Dr. Lynn’s data. The 20 percent of Americans who die this way need excellent medical care during the long period of high functioning, she said, and then hospice support for both patient and family during the sprint to death.

Deaths from organ failure, generally heart or lung disease, peak among patients 10 years older, killing about one in four Americans around age 75 after a far bumpier course. These patients’ lives are punctuated by bouts of severe illness alternating with periods of relative stability. At some point rescue attempts fail, and then death is sudden. What these patients and families need, Dr. Lynn said, is consistent disease management to head off crises, aggressive intervention at the first hint of trouble and advance planning for how to manage the final emergency.

The third option, death following extended frailty and dementia, is everyone’s worst nightmare, an interminable and humiliating series of losses for the patient, and an exhausting and potentially bankrupting ordeal for the family. Approximately 40 percent of Americans, generally past age 85, follow this course, said Dr. Lynn, and the percentage will grow with improvements in prevention and treatment of cancer, heart disease and pulmonary disease.

These are the elderly who for years on end must depend on the care of loved ones, usually adult daughters, or the kindness of strangers, the aides who care for them at home or in nursing facilities. This was my mother’s fate, and she articulated it with mordant humor: The reward for living past age 85 and avoiding all the killer diseases, she said, is that you get to rot to death instead.

Those suffering from physical frailty, as she was, lose the ability to walk, to dress themselves or to move from bed to wheelchair without a Hoyer lift and the strong backs of aides earning so little that many qualify for food stamps. These patients, often referred to as the old-old, require diapers, spoon-feeding and frequent repositioning in bed to avoid bedsores. Those with dementia, most often Alzheimer’s disease, lose short-term memory, fail to recognize loved ones, get lost without constant supervision and eventually forget how to speak and swallow.

What all of these patients need, Dr. Lynn said, is custodial care, which can easily cost $100,000 a year and is not reimbursed by Medicare. The program was created in 1965 when hardly anyone lived this long.

“We’re doing this so badly because we’ve never been here before,” Dr. Lynn said. “But the care system we’ve got didn’t come down from the mountain. We made it up, and we can make it up better.”

I know two men who lived to be over 100

One had his first filling at 98 and died at 104 with all his teeth. He took good care of himself, and his wife (who was diabetic and told she wouldn't live past 50 but lived to 90) but he led a very full life, helping others and looking after his family.

The other is 106 this year and still in good health.

I come from a long lived family, my great aunts and uncles and my grandparents all lived into their 80's, some their 90's and they lived right up until the end.

This idea that you seem to have that the young lead better lives is crap. From a child I've looked at my elderly relatives and envied them their attitude to life. One of my great aunts, burgerbarbaby and mr creosote know which one, was a woman every woman should aspire to be like. She was full of life, active, quick minded and could have run rings round the lot of us up until a month before she died.

Seriously... the only reason people end up having to rely on drugs and medical people to keep them alive is because they have never been alive, not really.

I never said that the young lead better lives, I said that the human body wasn't designed to live to 100. I stand by that.

What do you mean by

"Seriously... the only reason people end up having to rely on drugs and medical people to keep them alive is because they have never been alive, not really."

So if you develop a heart condition in your twenties because of a faulty gene you've never been alive ? Now that's nonsense.

Basically if you live a very long time and are healthy fair play to you but this idea that if you don't make it to 80 you've been cheated and should be propped up by science for years is just irresponsable.

I'm not handing in my cards until I'm at least inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll hall of fame.

Imagine dying at over 100 with all your own teeth and fewer fillings than most teenagers have.

Sounds delightful, any suggestions on how I can achieve this? I'm not really sure a raw food diet and avoiding fluoride is gonna do anything for my teeth.

"Seriously... the only reason people end up having to rely on drugs and medical people to keep them alive is because they have never been alive, not really."

So if you develop a heart condition in your twenties because of a faulty gene you've never been alive ? Now that's nonsense.

Basically if you live a very long time and are healthy fair play to you but this idea that if you don't make it to 80 you've been cheated and should be propped up by science for years is just irresponsable.

There is no way I would ever want to be "kept alive" or "propped up" by science. I have no fear of death when it comes, I've lived a full live and am satisfied with it, but I'm not going to go playing with traffic to prove it. Likewise I want to try to keep my body healthy and avoid consuming things that are bad for it.

Sounds delightful, any suggestions on how I can achieve this? I'm not really sure a raw food diet and avoiding fluoride is gonna do anything for my teeth.

Why not? Flourosis (caused by excessive flourine) is pretty nasty and by itself damages teeth (I'll leave it to you to look up so I'm not accused of bias) and raw food is higher in vitamins and minerals, as well as requiring more chewing (which ensures a proper mix with saliva and more efficient food processing).

There is no way I would ever want to be "kept alive" or "propped up" by science. I have no fear of death when it comes, I've lived a full live and am satisfied with it, but I'm not going to go playing with traffic to prove it. Likewise I want to try to keep my body healthy and avoid consuming things that are bad for it.

Why not? Flourosis (caused by excessive flourine) is pretty nasty and by itself damages teeth (I'll leave it to you to look up so I'm not accused of bias) and raw food is higher in vitamins and minerals, as well as requiring more chewing (which ensures a proper mix with saliva and more efficient food processing).

I know the problems associated with fluoride and would agree with you there but have you not seen me in the last year or so, the idea of having my all own teeth is already nothing but a fantasy.

There is no way I would ever want to be "kept alive" or "propped up" by science.
what do you classify as being kept alive by science? obviously the line has to be drawn somewhere between taking drugs to keep diabetes in check, and living on a ventilator, not able to leave the house.

what do you classify as being kept alive by science? obviously the line has to be drawn somewhere between taking drugs to keep diabetes in check, and living on a ventilator, not able to leave the house.

VICKY out of that program that used to be on on saturday afternoons (can't think of the name of it)

99% of people have less fillings than me. I'm the 1%

I remember having to get 10 done. I think it was from all the booze and drugs.
Christ, the more I think about it the more I'd HATE to live for another 70 odd years. It'd be dreadful!

(Although I did watch this recently and felt kinda inspired)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I didn't know where to put this so I figured this thread.

anyway, I just saw a Christmas ad. I twas for Nintendo. Fuck that.

another good thing about dying young I suppose. No more xmas ads in poxy november

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back