Do you purchase irradiated food products? (1 Viewer)

I am gonna be banging out whopper fucking tunes all the way.Thats the reason I wanna live long.

Now I'm not saying that there's any reason that a healthy mind shouldn't last to 100 years old, but I bet mr Cohen is in more physical pain than he'd like. The idea that we have successfully evolved to the point that we can live into the high 70s and beyond seems insane to me. We're basically propping our selves up with science at that point and I don't want it. So show of hands who wants to live til they're lets say 80 ?

And why ?

I'm not trying to be a smart arse I'm honestly interested.

I know two men who lived to be over 100

One had his first filling at 98 and died at 104 with all his teeth. He took good care of himself, and his wife (who was diabetic and told she wouldn't live past 50 but lived to 90) but he led a very full life, helping others and looking after his family.

The other is 106 this year and still in good health.

I come from a long lived family, my great aunts and uncles and my grandparents all lived into their 80's, some their 90's and they lived right up until the end.

This idea that you seem to have that the young lead better lives is crap. From a child I've looked at my elderly relatives and envied them their attitude to life. One of my great aunts, burgerbarbaby and mr creosote know which one, was a woman every woman should aspire to be like. She was full of life, active, quick minded and could have run rings round the lot of us up until a month before she died.

Seriously... the only reason people end up having to rely on drugs and medical people to keep them alive is because they have never been alive, not really.

Most of the mothers aunts and uncles lived to their late 90s, a few bedridden for years, others relatively up and about til the end. Her brothers have been dying miserably of cancer at the age of 65 (eldest 3 dead, 4th ill). I wouldn't mind living til 100 so long as i'm not in too helpless a condition. I hope when the time comes that I'd like to hang on a bit longer, if not then fuck it. My dads uncle died at 99 and was out singing in the pub the before - that sounds alright.

this discussion isn't really about getting old though, is it? Its more about whether we're incapacitated and actually able to do anything for ourselves. I'm happy to have a long innings. Fairly healthy now, so if it stays that way then why not? My granny had a stroke at 70 and was bedridden for 5 years before she croaked it. I reckon if that was me I'd want the stroke to have ended me, regardless of what age it hits at.

CinnamonBoy ; when I'm 63 I want to be diddling the 27 year old secretary.

I thought the discussion was about whether it was worth trying to take care of your body and keep it healthy, with some folks weighing in with opinions that, if mainstream, would lead to Soylent Green becoming the food of the future.

Striving to be healthy has totally replaced this correspondents obsession with caning it.And its just as much fun..if yer into obsessions.

I thought the discussion was about whether it was worth trying to take care of your body and keep it healthy, with some folks weighing in with opinions that, if mainstream, would lead to Soylent Green becoming the food of the future.

right, but the underlying assumption I'm taking out of it is that you still won't much quality of life when you're old, even if you're healthy (hence just debauch yourself now). And on that score I tend to disagree. I'm happy to stay going once I can tell what day of the week it is and I can go to the jacks by myself.

Without getting too into it, I've already experienced more physical pain than most of you will in your entire lifetime, and most people I meet scarcely can deduce that I am anything but normal-only for the sake of making a point about quality of life I mention that, but the point is that attitude beats anything all of the time.

I always thought there was more to you than meets the eye

you'd get seriously bored after 200 years.
you know what your parents are like with technology developed after they turn 40 (for example, my mother still does not like the mute button on the telly, she turns the volume down when she needs to 'mute' it); can you imagine what you'd be like aged 185?

magicbastarder, if your Dad is as bad as your Mum you have my blessing to do what you like to yourself :)

My Mum has only recently (with all of my siblings living thousands of miles and 8 or more time zones away) decided that computers would be useful. She has gone from never having turned one on to being able to send emails and photos, call us all on skype (setting up group calls) etc in the space of a couple of weeks with no help from any of us. My parents are as active as they were when I was a chil, they're more technically clued in that many people I know half their age.

I know a lot of older people who are on life 2, or even life number 3. For many of them they started living the life they really wanted after they retired! I wanna live to fully enjoy the proceeds of my years of drudgery!

Life is what you make it.

[video=youtube_share;9fWvub_WBho]http://youtu.be/9fWvub_WBho[/video]

listen to this and have a shot of vodka and a cigar for breakfast every morning. nothing can go wrong.

i think everyone sees their folks going through a new lease of life after the last kid leaves the nest - my folks go on holidays far more now than they did 15 or 20 years ago.
my 86 year old neighbour recently went on a computer course, so he's chuffed with himself.

which is all great, but my point was can you imagine another hundred or three hundred years of living after that? we don't know how the human psyche would react/cope. it's unexplored territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back