Do you listen to the radio much? (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
My friend is researching radio and the Irish music industry for his postgrad. He was telling me all the people he interviewed told him that radio is still the primary and most important means of promoting a song/artists.
I was telling him I don't listen to the radio at all, except incidentally. In a friend's car and he's got the radio on or in a shop and the radio is playing etc. Do any of ye listen to music radio much?

i like listening to the radio for talky stuff - news, current affairs, the odd documentary or interview. i never listen to music radio though as its too bad. i might listen to failte isteach with donnacha o'dualing (SP?) or that kinda music show if its on, thatd be it tho.

Sometimes when I forget to bring my headphones I listen to Highland Radio on the bus to Derry. Other than that I avoid it at all costs.

yeah i :heart: radio, fave shows are nova on lyric fm on sunday nights, donal dineen on todayfm, lots of shows on raidió na life, mary anne hobbs on bbc radio1, podcasts of documentaries from stations on the interweb... it's deadly, and i'd hear about most of the new music i'm into from these shows.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetic, sans-serif][/FONT]

yeah i :heart: radio, fave shows are nova on lyric fm on sunday nights, donal dineen on todayfm, lots of shows on raidió na life, mary anne hobbs on bbc radio1, podcasts of documentaries from stations on the interweb... it's deadly, and i'd hear about most of the new music i'm into from these shows.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetic, sans-serif][/FONT]

Ditto on the Nova and donal dineen although Nova is more a regular...always forget the Donal dineen one until I happen upon it...I also really like the talking history show on sundays on newstalk.

I despise Brenda Power though..but somehow have newstalk on out of habit every morning.
must check out raidio na life... what shows what days would you recommend?

I also like lyric in general for some of the random weird stuff that comes on it throughout the week.

i never listen to music on the radio.i dont know why!
cant get phantom in galway and i always forget about flirt fm.
when i do listen to the radio its usually matt cooper and bbc radio 5 live.

Newstalk and Phantom a bit, since I moved the PC to the bedroom.
Neither station is perfect of course, but I like em all the same.

Lyric repeats an hour of classical music through the night, which really fucked up my head back when I could never sleep. So that put off that station a bit.

I love radio and wish I could listen to it properly more often. And by properly, I mean, not just having it on as background, but sitting and listening to it while not doing anything else. There's not a lot of programming out there that requires this, but I like the idea that it's still there and it's still being made.

My morning ritual, if I'm up before 7, is Newstalk's re-runs from 6am, then switch to radio 1 for Morning Ireland, cont until 10, then sometimes music or nothing. Or at the moment, I'm listening to lots of radio docs on line because I'm trying to put mine together.

I found this site, which is kinda cool: http://www.transom.org/shows/

And listened to this amazing piece by Studs, my hero of heroes: http://www.transom.org/shows/2001/20010725.terkel.borntolive.html

Recorded in 1961, with a really bold way of opening the documentary, I think. You wouldn't get away with it now.

And there's NPR of course.

I found some cool roots music show on Anna Livia a couple of weeks ago, and that was great, but I can't remember what it's called. I don't listen to enough of the niche stuff on Radio 1 or on Anna Livia. There's a lot of cool stuff that I'm stupidly missing out on.

I don't listen to Irish radio but i was completely hooked on Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell for a good few years until he retired to spend more time with his Phillipino mail order bride.

art-bell-8-20-05.jpg

Art_Ramona_06.jpg

ab15.jpg

I used to listen to the radio all the time here in work- rte radio 1 talk stuff mostly

My batteries ran out last year sometime and I never replaced them..

Lost the habit now, just listen to CDs instead

In the car I listen to Newstalk or Classic/golden oldie shows. Anything else has me constantly searching fro a good tune

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back