Do you listen to the radio much? (1 Viewer)

Radio 4 Eva.
I love listening to the radio powerfully but I just can't get anything decent music-wise. That fucking Tom Dunne dinosaur drives me mad altogether with his smiths/cure/joydivision stagnant twenty years ago guff. 2008AD man!

Oh for the days when I lived up North and Peel was on BBCR1.

That said, talking history on newstalk is quite good, there are some decent shows tucked away on Flirt FM if you can remember, and of Course Mary-Anne Hobbes and Rob Da Bank's shows on R1 have been the shit for some time now.

I get about half an hour of rte 1 in the morning and thats about it.

The odd time I'm stuck in places, like a shop or a taxi with spin fm on, I ... cant ... finish... the ... sentence

not since Peel died.

only listen to the radio for news, weather and the odd documentary on Radio 1.

I feel the same way about Neighbours after Jim Robinson pegged out. I mean I've tried but it's just not the same.

Stick Lyric FM on now & again but rarely do the radio.

do people sing songs about listening to podcasts, mp3s,
iTunes, soulseek, blogs, etc nowadays, in the same way
people used to sing about records or the spirit of the radio?

only in the car - newstalk and dublin city fm

i'm addicted to the live traffic reports on the latter

This is great ... Anthony got me into it. I love it. And they often play the best music. I was driving down the hill in Chapelizod a few weeks ago and yer man says "m50 blocked up ..... right turn at Con Colbert looking bad ...... Pearse street a bit sticky .... etc.... etc..... and here's a song by the Butthole Surfers". I kid you not .. nearly crashed the car.

Actually a lot of the stuff on Dublin City Fm can be really good. Random dialling in at any time can throw up all sorts of cool stuff. For example, a film review show where they discussed No Country For Old Men where the contributors actually knew what they were talking about and had interesting things to say and understood the whole context of it and had read Cormac McCarthys books etc.

Other than that, Edel's show on Phantom if I am in the car at the time, Alison's show on Today FM sometimes, RTE ONE for news, sometimes Matt Cooper or Newstalk.

This is great ... Anthony got me into it. I love it. And they often play the best music. I was driving down the hill in Chapelizod a few weeks ago and yer man says "m50 blocked up ..... right turn at Con Colbert looking bad ...... Pearse street a bit sticky .... etc.... etc..... and here's a song by the Butthole Surfers". I kid you not .. nearly crashed the car.

Actually a lot of the stuff on Dublin City Fm can be really good. Random dialling in at any time can throw up all sorts of cool stuff. For example, a film review show where they discussed No Country For Old Men where the contributors actually knew what they were talking about and had interesting things to say and understood the whole context of it and had read Cormac McCarthys books etc.

Other than that, Edel's show on Phantom if I am in the car at the time, Alison's show on Today FM sometimes, RTE ONE for news, sometimes Matt Cooper or Newstalk.

yeah, i've only caught bits and pieces of their other shows but
they seem pretty good - kinda amatuerish in parts, but there's
nothing wrong with that.

the music your man john plays is great. i've heard him play the
fall on occasion. i'm actually completely addicted to his way of
traffic reporting. even when the traffic grand, i'll still listen in!

"someone has texted in to enquire about the horse that was on
the m50 this morning...what?? there was a horse on the m50?
hahah - what happened?"
"<barely audible other voice>"
"oh...the horse on the m50 was hit by a truck...here's some belle
and sebastian"

I could listen to the shipping forecasts all day

soooo relaxing

totally overused in the aaaaarts though

I listen to Morning Ireland in the morning.
On the way home form work I listen to Hook and might listen to the sports show on afterwards as I'm eating.
I normally have the radio on during the night and generally listen to Turdbody and Kenny till about 3.
I always set the alarm to catch Sunday Miscellany as well.
I never never never listen to music on the radio.

I fucking cant stand traffic reports. They should just have one channel for that and nothing else so if you want to listen to it you can and if not you can be left in peace!

I've been listening to Donal Dineen before I sleep but that means I only get about one or two songs before I'm kipping. Also it means I have to listen to their inane drivel in the morning when the alarm goes off (well, don't have to but y'know...)

Other than that... Newstalk for Off The Ball and other stuff and sports commentary on whatever channel its on.

I've started to avoid Phantom now, which is a pity, but frankly if I want to listen to tunes I have music I like to listen to. For background stuff I've started listening to Lyric's jazz thing on Sunday evening, and occasionally a bit of their contemporary show.

Listen to the radio occassionally, NEAR FM, Raidio na Life and DC (was Anna Livia) FM are good for metal shows and other uncatered-for genres.

51cTfKL2u6L._AA280_.jpg

I'd like to hear Geddy Lee host a radio show like Dylan did.

yeah, i've only caught bits and pieces of their other shows but
they seem pretty good - kinda amatuerish in parts, but there's
nothing wrong with that.

the music your man john plays is great. i've heard him play the
fall on occasion. i'm actually completely addicted to his way of
traffic reporting. even when the traffic grand, i'll still listen in!

"someone has texted in to enquire about the horse that was on
the m50 this morning...what?? there was a horse on the m50?
hahah - what happened?"
"<barely audible other voice>"
"oh...the horse on the m50 was hit by a truck...here's some belle
and sebastian"

I catch it sometimes in the mornings, and it's pretty good. I would take an amateurish labour of love over a slick commercial thing any day. Which is total hypocrisy because I don't listen to enough community radio to uphold that claim.

Hayworth, the NPR website is amazing and you can listen to pretty much anything they have on it.

There's this: http://www.thislife.org/ but not everything seems free?

And some of these don't work anymore, but I like the one about urban explorers: http://www.theamericaproject.org/

It would be my dream job to make documentaries for NPR. Love, love, love them. I don't love everything they do, but that's what makes me love them. They don't try to make all of their content please everyone because that makes everything bland.

Anna Livia kind of ends up like that by default, too. There was just a show on that was two dudes talking about WWII naval submarines.I listened for a minute, but it was far more anoraky than I could understand, but it made me glad there's a programme for people who like WWII subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back