Do you like your job? (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by Pantone247

I'm a graphic designer too

and I really like the work bit, cause graphic design is quite good fun and stuff

but like you its tne company thats bringing me down, the people, the atmosphere (lack of) and the shit pay

:(

plus the fact that we dont get paid overtime even when yr in all night. plus the *business speak* !bog

right, i wanna be a graphic designer too...5 yrs in art college has to be a start on that!

...or do any of the cool jobs i used to do, i'm really sorry now, sorry and i'm sick of computers and if anyone wants me to ever write another video game with muppets in it or edit another music video (for money) for friday night slots on mtv or run the production unit for a (non-defunct) multimedia centre I'll very humbly say "yes please" and come back into the creative fold instead of putting numbers into fucking MS cunting Excel all day and taking shit for having a life outside of work.

where did i go wrong?

p.s. i love my job.

(that was for our IT dept. who watch my every move)

p.p.s. I too have a samurai sword!!!!!

(that was for them too!)

Originally posted by egg_

Don't do it! You don't have to do it! If the work's not finished, it's not finished, just head off home. The worst that could happen is you get fired, and that's not very likely

It can sometimes be part of the contract..that you have to do work that needs to be done even though you don't get paid overtime. I know it is on mine. That said I think I've done about 2 hours overtime in the last two and a half years

Originally posted by egg_
Don't do it! You don't have to do it! If the work's not finished, it's not finished, just head off home. The worst that could happen is you get fired, and that's not very likely
It's not so easy Egg, it depends also on the people you're working with......
One fine day, when I was in IBfuckingM, two out of five people left the team: one (the bitch I mentioned before) was promoted to Team Leader and the other moved to another department. Since they were never replaced, we were required to work 10/11 hrs every bloody day (up to 16 in quarter end). After a couple of months I freaked out and talked to my manager who was the only nice person in that shit hole. She did see my point and told me I could have left at 5 from that day on.

So far so good but guess what happened then? Those two big fuckers of my colleagues (who sadly didn't have any life outside their jobs) thought it was RIGHT (!!!) to work long hours every day if the company required it! To cut a long story short, since I started to leave at 5, I was marked as a dosser, isolated and bossed 24/7 only because I had a life. I was so desperate that I resigned without having a new job. Eventually I got it sorted (thanks God) but I learned a lesson: you CAN fight against your employee but make 100% sure that your colleagues would be by YOUR side first.

Originally posted by hopper

and that canteen, all i could eat out of there was chips and gravy, everything else was rat shite

I got iron-deficiency anaemia from eating in the RTE canteen every day. ('Cause I'm a veggie I have to get my iron form vegetables, and the veg in the canteen were completely nutrient-free).

As for me job, I moan about it all the time but it's really not the worst. I'm working in an area I'm vaguely interested in (writing TV and radio listings and building schedules for magazines, newspapers etc.), I have some good mates in work, the pay's not bad and I get paid for overtime, which is very unusual in media jobs. But it is pretty boring and not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life, plus it's in a suburb of West London miles away from everywhere. But at least there are loads of charity shops for me to visit on my lunchbreak.

i just turned 3 years in this job the other week

:(

where did it all go wrong???

Originally posted by Dan
It can sometimes be part of the contract..that you have to do work that needs to be done even though you don't get paid overtime. I know it is on mine. That said I think I've done about 2 hours overtime in the last two and a half years

It's part of my contract, and I don't do it (mostly, anyway ... I've worked late maybe 10 times in the last 6 years). All they can do for not obeying the terms of your contract is fire you. Do you like your job enough to be afraid of dimissal?

Even if you don't have the balls to say "sorry I'm busy" it's possible to engineer things so you rarely get asked - since I've been working here (2 years) I've been asked to work weekends only twice, which is rare for a programmer (i said no once, citing "family reasons") ... in fact my team works long hours more rarely than any of the other teams here. I suspect it's cos we really kick up if a project's badly managed and not running smoothly, also we bitch really vocally every time anyone is required to do overtime - so the bosses don't like asking us. If they do ask you and you really can't say no, call them aside and say "I'll do it this time, but I really don't want my work interfering with my life and I'd like to make sure it happens as rarely as possible".
What we're dealing with here is simply a battle of wills and if you want to win enough you can. Fuck contracts, they're not going to fire you for leaving at 5.30

Re: Working overtime and not being paid for it

If you do this you might as well let your employer put his hand in your pocket and take money out of it.

I've worked in the same job in the same place for seven years and I've always claimed overtime. Plus I make sure everyone else claims it too. I'd rather not work late but in certain circumstances I can see why it is necessary from a business point of view so I don't mind staying behind. But working for nothing. Fuck that.

Originally posted by minka
i'm a technical writer for a company that does physics simulation for computer games.

There probably can be only one place in this town that does that - so tell them thank you for all those parts of Max Payne they made. And see if you can find out when 3dmark2002 is out - you lot are down with the Finns.

i'm such a nerd

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back