DIY Guitar Messing About (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 54K
  • Watchers 4
I always start with a step bit at 4mm. The bit is always straight thanks to all the extra mass. Maybe if I had a really good quality pillar drill I'd use 3mm but as is I can bring the point of the step bit to my markings and get it spot on. Worst case is about half a mm out which is barely visible.

the holes are all nice and even on the top, which is where i drilled from (as i was registering them against the the bridge) so i suspect the bit just flexed a little as it went through.
the reason i used a 3.5mm bit was that i flipped the guitar then, and drilled in with a 10mm bit to about 2mm deep to countersink the rim of the ferrule - and as the 'nose' of my 10mm bit is ~3mm wide, it nicely centred that bit for me.

basic question - is it easier to fit frets first, then adjust the depth the nut sits so you get it at the right height? or set the nut in straight away, maybe a little higher than you know you need, and file the slots till they're correct?

basic question - is it easier to fit frets first, then adjust the depth the nut sits so you get it at the right height? or set the nut in straight away, maybe a little higher than you know you need, and file the slots till they're correct?

Frets first. Get them in, levelled bevelled etc.

Then the nut. You need the frets in and levelled you so can properly determine the action at 1st fret. You can string height at nut by sanding the base of the nut (if you want to bring the whole thing down) or by filing each nut slot deeper. If nuts too low as a whole you can shim with slips of wood.

There’s probably a target string height for each type of guitar - personally I always aim for a string height that will hold a .88 plectrum on the low e/1st fret, and .73 plectrum on the high e/first fret.

I have proper nut files, and other fretwork odds and sods, so happy to lend them to you.

Sound. I might get the frets in tonight, and oil the neck so at least it's got one coat of protection before I start leveling etc.
Going to go for a tung oil finish, but that will take a couple of days to dry. Then subsequent coats when everything is in place.

Sound. I might get the frets in tonight, and oil the neck so at least it's got one coat of protection before I start leveling etc.
Going to go for a tung oil finish, but that will take a couple of days to dry. Then subsequent coats when everything is in place.

I’ve found that the final rounds of sanding are helpful in terms of dealing with the fret edges sticking out, are the frets you bought all pre cut to size?

I’m working from home tomorrow btw if you want to pickup my biscuit tin of fret mystery

Make sure to mask the fretboard when you're levelling the frets.

JR already answered the rest pretty well. The nut height should be just a little more than the height above the second fret when you fret the strings on the first fret. If you go to far just fill with some super glue and baking soda and start again.

I’ve found that the final rounds of sanding are helpful in terms of dealing with the fret edges sticking out, are the frets you bought all pre cut to size?

I’m working from home tomorrow btw if you want to pickup my biscuit tin of fret mystery
all probably about 60-65mm. i was using the hammer in the first pic to hammer them in but it seems it might have been a little too soft, it deformed around the frets and hit the fretboard in a few places. was visible when the oil was wet, but when it mattes down as it dries it should be much less obvious i assume. probably a 60/40 mix of tung oil and white spirit, for maximum penetration on the first coat.

PXL_20230907_204148815.jpg

PXL_20230907_211523998.jpg

all probably about 60-65mm. i was using the hammer in the first pic to hammer them in but it seems it might have been a little too soft, it deformed around the frets and hit the fretboard in a few places. was visible when the oil was wet, but when it mattes down as it dries it should be much less obvious i assume. probably a 60/40 mix of tung oil and white spirit, for maximum penetration on the first coat.

View attachment 17603

View attachment 17604

I use a block of wood between the fret and the hammer as Im tapping them in!
any minor dings in the frets should come out when youre levelling and finishing the frets

I think the oil I applied last night lubricated some of the frets, you can some have lifted ever so slightly. I had them roughly level before oiling, but not so much now. I didn't use superglue, looks like I'll have to now.

I think the oil I applied last night lubricated some of the frets, you can some have lifted ever so slightly. I had them roughly level before oiling, but not so much now. I didn't use superglue, looks like I'll have to now.

Oil can cause mild expansions. I was looking at making a handle for broken chisel ones and the recommendation I saw online was to soak it oil once it's all fitted and the rest to tighten the fit.

if its only a slight lift I'd try tapping them back first, and leaving another 24hrs.
get a block of hardwood and cut a track to act as a guide, and use that as a block between a (metal) hammer and the fret

Use hide or fish glue so they can be taken out easily in future but yes they do need to be glued in.

I'd watched a video last night where someone from StewMac recommended superglue and demonstrated how to use it, but I did wonder would it make changing the frets very difficult.

I'd watched a video last night where someone from StewMac recommended superglue and demonstrated how to use it, but I did wonder would it make changing the frets very difficult.

Probably special StewMac branded super glue for four times the price too.

My favourite videos are a guy called Tom Woodford. Pure chill Canadian luthier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back