DIY Guitar Messing About (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 50K
  • Watchers 4
Doesn’t look like much yet -but this is the most complicated bit of carpentry/Luthery I’ve attempted.

Tenon is cut so neck is angled away from the plane of the eventual top of the instrument, but bottom is flush with the bottom of the instrument.

That and making the neck block in the first place IMG_5400.jpeg

Complete tangent but that listing says 'never gigged'.

If I was guitar shopping, i'd prefer one that had a few gigs in it's internal flow of chi.

Complete tangent but that listing says 'never gigged'.

If I was guitar shopping, i'd prefer one that had a few gigs in it's internal flow of chi.

My favourite is "brand new, only played at home, never gigged." That's not the definition of brand new ya sap.

looks aside, which would have the better parts here; the squier is nearly €100 more expensive new, but does that mean it has better parts than the HB? there's only a tenner in the difference in what he says he'll accept.

a lot of the hardware is probably much of a muchness. most of HB guitars are very well spec'd for the price.
You have alnico as opposed to ceramic pickups, which all other things being equal for these sort of pickups will sound better.

Two things to consider though, is both the bridge and tuners are different types. 'vintage style' tuners have a 9mm hole, and load strings at the tops. They are a bit of a 'love them or hate them thing', as they are trickier to load than the modern type on the squier. The bridge on the HB is also a vintage style, 3 barrel ashtray, which is harder to set up/intonate than the more modern design bridge on the squier. However, there are pages and pages and pages of guitar nerds arguing the relative benefits of each.

As you're planning to strip it, I'd go for the HB myself (more as I reckon the pickups are probably a bit better)

yeah, i haven't decided whether i'll strip it and cannibalise the parts, or just use it as a template and sell after (sourcing my own parts for the new one).
i'd be much less likely to reuse parts if i thought they were cheap.

yeah, i haven't decided whether i'll strip it and cannibalise the parts, or just use it as a template and sell after (sourcing my own parts for the new one).
i'd be much less likely to reuse parts if i thought they were cheap.

the parts on both of them are probably as good or as bad as most of the cheaper-mid price parts out there I'd say.

i never realised the red special was so weird internally. youtube guitar maker chap makes a copy:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

what wood did you use? i.e. did you have to get something specifically for that?

Build is a mixture of old and new bits.

The 1.5mm and 3mm sheets of mahogany I’ve bought new as there’s no way I could make them myself. And braces are spruce which I’m cutting out of a 6mm panel.

Neck, neck block and end block are all old/reclaimed bits of makore, mahogany and teak I have about the place.

I bought the sheet materials from this place - hobbies.co.Uk - I’ve bought off them a few times for various bits over the past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back