DIY Guitar Messing About (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 49K
  • Watchers 4
Done - and in to harden off. Turned out more metallic than I expected. The metallic pigment settles, so actually was more concentrated as I went on. Looks good though..
DFB8E2E6-7BFA-48E7-9CE7-76D0DD272EF7.jpeg

Attachments

• 94C8FA2D-6845-44D4-8B06-CCCC48D23C22.jpeg
    94C8FA2D-6845-44D4-8B06-CCCC48D23C22.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
anything missing off this shopping list? trying to buy all the hardware before starting the next build.
currently at €156 all in on gear4music, but that's with dirt cheap pickups.
although, weirdly, they're claiming a delivery date in august for parts they say they have in stock and can be individually delivered within the next two weeks...

tuning pegs
nut
truss rod
frets
fret markers
neck plate & screws
strap lugs
2x pickups
bridge
output jack
scratchplate
3 way selector switch
1 x volume pot
1 x tone pot
2 x knobs

anything missing off this shopping list? trying to buy all the hardware before starting the next build.
currently at €156 all in on gear4music, but that's with dirt cheap pickups.
although, weirdly, they're claiming a delivery date in august for parts they say they have in stock and can be individually delivered within the next two weeks...

tuning pegs
nut
truss rod
frets
fret markers
neck plate & screws
strap lugs
2x pickups
bridge
output jack
scratchplate
3 way selector switch
1 x volume pot
1 x tone pot
2 x knobs

Plate for the jackplug?
Gear4music seem to have this weird thing where they will ship something from say Spain to Uk, to be included in a package for dublin

they sell a jack with plate and plug included.
seems that individually, they're all available pretty much straight away, but add some together and it pushes them way out.
not necessarily going to go with gear4music; just getting a vibe for overall cost. similar to pickups, they go from their own cheap as chips tuning pegs to fender ones. which are about 4 times the price.

they sell a jack with plate and plug included.
seems that individually, they're all available pretty much straight away, but add some together and it pushes them way out.
not necessarily going to go with gear4music; just getting a vibe for overall cost. similar to pickups, they go from their own cheap as chips tuning pegs to fender ones. which are about 4 times the price.

You’d also need some wire and a capacitor (and I could give you some of both)
A supplier I bought off before, who does a wide range of more middle of the road stuff is this guy..

His shipping costs are pretty steep though - that and discovering the less dodgy suppliers on ali stopped me using him

As a matter of fact I bought this off him a good few years back

Last edited:
Putting the latest build through its paces, lovingly now referred to as ‘spocks guitar’
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Heh, 'mastered' can be a proxy for 'an excuse to swear a lot while getting sticky'. Not sure if I would be keen on the random look in that piece, looks like a posh chopping board. I reckon you'd need symmetry about the centre line for it to look Good And Proper?

Heh, 'mastered' can be a proxy for 'an excuse to swear a lot while getting sticky'. Not sure if I would be keen on the random look in that piece, looks like a posh chopping board. I reckon you'd need symmetry about the centre line for it to look Good And Proper?

yeah - that has a look of 'using the off cuts' (possibly where I came in with thinking its a nice idea...

but perhaps something with 2-3 types of wood put together with a bit more symmetry could look very nice.. might suit a smaller bodied instrument better.

when I've given up trying to bend pieces of wood for an acoustic mandola idea I might dig through the wood pile and see what I have ;-)

think i posted this before (and they seem to be doing a 'buy one, get one half price' offer) - there's enough wood in one bundle for a couple of guitar bodies anyway

i was turning a bowl out of london plane the other day, and it's lovely wood to work with. nice tight grain, very little tearout. that's the wood which is going to be the majority of my tele body (when i get my arse in gear to get it started - i might move all the wood indoors so it acclimatises for a few weeks before i start)

i was turning a bowl out of london plane the other day, and it's lovely wood to work with. nice tight grain, very little tearout. that's the wood which is going to be the majority of my tele body (when i get my arse in gear to get it started - i might move all the wood indoors so it acclimatises for a few weeks before i start)

looking forward to seeing it coming together!

@magicbastarder

as a man who has well and truly mastered the art of laminating - what do you think of this as a concept?

a striped guitar sounds appealing to me ;-)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

( Keep the sound down if you are going to watch)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back