DIY Guitar Messing About (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 51K
  • Watchers 4
Been there and made a balls of it. Not a scratch build just major repair work.

An old mate of mine builds boards and does the carpentry for the Huka balance boards.

I was half thinking of making a little coffee table for the people who gave me the oak floorboards... But also about a guitar. Tele style I suspect.

The caveat on that guitar being finished is in relation to me turning some new knobs for it. My only research on that is that a 6mm hole is to big to fit onto the pot, and a 5mm hole is too small, so I may be shopping for a 5.5mm bit.

I was half thinking of making a little coffee table for the people who gave me the oak floorboards... But also about a guitar. Tele style I suspect.

The caveat on that guitar being finished is in relation to me turning some new knobs for it. My only research on that is that a 6mm hole is to big to fit onto the pot, and a 5mm hole is too small, so I may be shopping for a 5.5mm bit.

You could always try drilling a 6mm hole and wrapping some tape round the pot shaft? Stranger things have been done

Would you go the kit route for the tele build or source parts/neck elsewhere and make a body from plans? I’ve a tele you could use to measure off of

not even that far into planning! if i was being ludicrously ambitious, i could make a thru-neck - that cabinet maker i know has spare tropical hardwood, and sycamore, which could be a nice effect for the neck and rest of body.

not even that far into planning! if i was being ludicrously ambitious, i could make a thru-neck - that cabinet maker i know has spare tropical hardwood, and sycamore, which could be a nice effect for the neck and rest of body.

I've considered a neck thru-- can decide if it would be easier in some ways, or massively harder..

would be difficult to tweak back into a useable form if you made a balls at the start.

Fingerboard arrived. It’s a 23” scale guitar board, so now the not inconsiderable task of making the neck and then trimming it down for a 40-30mm taper to make it suitable for a tenor guitar.

388CE68C-BB88-463E-A24E-5A82A4661671.jpeg

a friend (colin from sunbear) dropped around yesterday and the only thing he spotted on the bass that needs addressing is a slight twist in the neck (which i didn't make) and he reckons a truss rod adjustment could sort that. would a twist be sorted by a truss rod; in my ignorance i'd assumed they just were there to address bowing.

a friend (colin from sunbear) dropped around yesterday and the only thing he spotted on the bass that needs addressing is a slight twist in the neck (which i didn't make) and he reckons a truss rod adjustment could sort that. would a twist be sorted by a truss rod; in my ignorance i'd assumed they just were there to address bowing.

You are correct but sometimes tightening can help with slight twists.

Shit for a kit to come with a twist in the neck though.

doesn't really affect the playability though, thankfully.

good to hear - putting a bit of tension on the truss rod can straighten the neck in both dimensions as moose says. Also makes it easier to get consistent action over the fret board obviously. I've found necks generally ship with the truss rod loose - as thats how its installed (ie flat). obviously isn't too much of an issue though?

You are correct but sometimes tightening can help with slight twists.

Shit for a kit to come with a twist in the neck though.

I would say based on the @magicbastarder experience the missing parts and this (if it can't be fixed) I'd be more hesitant in recommending those kits again - although I had no issues with the ones I got

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back