District 9 (1 Viewer)

When leaving the cinema the guy behind me said, "Their technology wasn't revolutionary... it just blew people up." I don't know why it made me laugh but that's my responce to the movie since I slept through the ending.

I still can't decide if I liked it, I kinda enjoyed how ridiculous a lot of it was. Yer man's accent is hilarious when he says fuck alright, either he just sounds like that or it was some new form of censoring, where, rather than fully block out the naughty words, they overdub them with a geordie accent, to lessen the blow of hearing such foul language.

They'd probably like to be able to sell the movie the US, so less of that sort of talk.

thats one of the reasons i thought they shot it in South Africa actually. Just reminded me of the israel/lebanon war in 82 and how a bunch of palestinians were killed by trigger happy soldiers

I still can't decide if I liked it, I kinda enjoyed how ridiculous a lot of it was. Yer man's accent is hilarious when he says fuck alright, either he just sounds like that or it was some new form of censoring, where, rather than fully block out the naughty words, they overdub them with a geordie accent, to lessen the blow of hearing such foul language.

I think it was the Afrikaan version of Fuck (or the BST version of Frag LOL).

From IMDB:

Several Afrikaans curse words can be heard throughout the film, including 'doos' or 'poes' (both of which are slang terms for a vagina), fok/fokken (which means "f**k/f**king"), and 'bliksem' which has a variation of meanings. 'Bliksem' can mean to hit or strike, but is often used as an exclamation of wonder, amazement or surprise. It can also be used as a derogatory term when referring to a person or as a derogatory adjective when used to describe a person or object. "Daai bliksemse prawn" would roughly translate to "That damn prawn" Also at some point, a sniper says "Kom na pappa toe", which translates to "Come to daddy".

Blomkamp released a doc in 2006 I think called 'Alive in Jo'burg' about gangs etc, and some of those findings influenced his script, so why not set it in the same place I suppose?

Poor Wikus...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back