DIRTY PROJECTORS + YACHT - WHELAN'S APRIL 30 (1 Viewer)

Foggy

Foggy Notions presents
DIRTY PROJECTORS
+YACHT

WHELAN’S, APRIL 30th
TICKETS FROM WAV/TICKETMASTER/CITY DISCS/ROAD RECORDS/TICKETS.IE

“Rise Above will drop plenty of jaws. Rise Above finally displays the perfect counterargument to the portrait of Longstreth as another nutso college dropout: It displays a pattern.” - Pitchfork

“The simplicity of Rise Above is foreign and refreshing; like Indian or African music, you can find comfort in not understanding how the sounds coalesce.” – Stylus Magazine

www.myspace.com/dirtyprojectors

Dirty Projectors is the brainchild of musical mastermind David Longstreth. Over the past four years, the Brooklyn-based artist has fronted five different live incarnations of Dirty Projectors and has released four full-lengths and one EP spanning afro-pop, sub-fi folk and art punk. His first album, The Graceful Fallen Mango was released under his own name and introduced his distinctive arrangements of both lo-fi and hi-fi production. Longstreth released his first album as Dirty Projectors in 2003 entitled The Glad Fact (produced by Yume Bitsu’s Adam Forkner) with Western Vinyl. Slaves’ Graves and Ballads was his third proper full-length, classified as Dirty Projectors’ most accessible work. In 2005, he released The Getty Address, a concept album surrounding musician Don Henley – think Justin Timberlake and 19th century opera. Most recently he released Rise Above, a retelling of Black Flag's seminal punk album Damaged as re-imagined from memory.

“I didn't listen to the album or read the lyrics while I was doing it, and I hadn't heard the record since middle school. I relied on memory and intuition mostly. I wanted to see if I could make this album myself, not as plagiarism or mimicry, but as an original creative act. I did it because I thought it might be fun to stage my own theft of the punk rock spirit, like they did with new wave and grunge and American Idol. Only my doing it would be more like an observation than an action: not muscular at all: purposely useless, beautiful, like a witness.”

Rise Above resounds with a kind of elegant simplicity: beautiful interlocking guitar parts, gorgeous three-part vocal harmonies, and some great songwriting. Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear manned the knobs, giving Rise Above the same rich sound that he brought to his own band's acclaimed album Yellow House. Rise Above captures the inventiveness and raw power of Dirty Projectors' live arrangements at long last.

YACHT’s Jona Bechtolt has plied his unique breed of laptop wizardry and grunge intuition to endless collaborations, both as drummer and producer, with mainstays like Panther, The Blow, Little Wings, Mt. Eerie, Bobby Birdman, Devendra Banhart, and E*Rock.

The songs that make up YACHT’s third solo album I Believe in You. (Your Magic is Real) (ERR/Marriage) travel well - they’re wide and warm-hearted, bouncing without pretension from iPod to turntable. Behind the beats and the choruses, which come from left-field and bloom into frenetic dance breaks, are big ideas about how positive thinking, optimism, and luck can replace blind faith in a world without a lot of white gloves, wands, or magic.

YACHT shows are uncluttered, inspiring sessions of improbable dance moves and synchronized crowd-waving; the songs shudder happily into the air, and any relationship to “laptop music” is shattered by Bechtolt’s own strain of shamanistic bombast.

www.marriagerecords.com <http://www.marriagerecords.com>
www.teamyacht.com <http://www.teamyacht.com>

YACHT - See A Penny (Pick It Up)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

saw dirty projectors in glasgow on saturday - they were pretty much the only band on the bill i didn't know already and they were magic. fans of dudley corporation / the band who supported slint in dublin in 2005 who rule but whose name i've forgotten would enjoy this.

Times for Yacht and DPs tmoro please?

Clashing with the 'pool game...fuck!!!!!

I don't think I'd listen to one of his records but Yacht was loads of fun when he opened for Deerhunter last year.

Yep he was excellent at that gig, the records are better than I expected, The Blows alrii too

So absolutely no one is going to this?

Last time was a fairly empty / not totally full (delete as applicable) also. There was literally only a handfull of people listening to Northstation - though I can hardly blame anyone for that.

I'll be there with bells on unless there's extra time in which case I haven't decided what I'll do...

So absolutely no one is going to this?

Last time was a fairly empty / not totally full (delete as applicable) also. There was literally only a handfull of people listening to Northstation - though I can hardly blame anyone for that.

I'll be there with bells on unless there's extra time in which case I haven't decided what I'll do...

I'll be there. I wouldn't watch the soccer even if I wasn't going.

which is kind of unfair that I can't avail of the 2 euro discount. Ah well

I'll be there. I wouldn't watch the soccer even if I wasn't going.

which is kind of unfair that I can't avail of the 2 euro discount. Ah well

i just thought people didnt' like em that much, which is strange because they are fucking brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back