DIRTY PROJECTORS & POLAR BEAR - CrawDaddy - 28th March (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
Brooklyn-based nu-jazz project Dirty Projectors teams up on tour with innovative British post-jazz quintet Polar Bear, and L.A. experimentalists Lucky Dragons.

Dirty Projectors, led by genius songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Dave Longstreth, were signed to Domino following the release of Rise Above, their critically acclaimed “reimagining” of Black Flag’s Damaged. a new album is imminent.

They will be joined by avant-jazz outfit Polar Bear, whose inventive blend of contemporary jazz with indie and electronica elements has won them nominations for the BBC Jazz Awards and the Mercury Awards. Their self-titled third album was released through Tin Angel Records last year.

Tour support will come from L.A. experimental music/art duo Lucky Dragons.

Check out Dirty Projectors collaboration with David Byrne for the Red Hot compilation “Dark Was the Night” here.

POD Concerts presents

DIRTY PROJECTORS
POLAR BEAR
Lucky Dragons

Saturday March 28th

Crawdaddy - Harcourt Street – Dublin 2.
Doors – 7.30pm
Tickets €17 (inc. booking fee) available from Ticketmaster, City Discs, Sound Cellar and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

DIRTY PROJECTORS

Dirty Projectors is the project of Dave Longstreth, a former Yale student who left college to become one of the most prolific and unique indie singer/songwriters of the early 2000s. Longstreth's distinctive, crooning voice and equally unique approach to arrangements and both lo-fi and hi-fi production characterize the Dirty Projectors' sound. David Longstreth has created in Dirty Projectors a body of music of original and variegated beauty. The breadth of his talents as a songwriter, arranger, bandleader and singer call to mind Prince, Joni Mitchell, and Bjork. His constantly evolving sound -- both live and on record -- the sheer intensity of the music, and the originality of his voice set him apart. Among modern music makers, he is a maverick: a loner and a rebel.

The music is many things at once: sophisticated and heartfelt, tender and aggressive, pleasing and miserly in its refusal to please, a mixture between soul, punk, pop, noise and complex rock. Dirty Projectors' last offering, Rise Above, is a reimagining of Black's Flag seminal 1981 record Damaged. It is not a covers record. Longstreth attempted to rewrite his favorite adolescent album word for word, from memory. A concept so lofty might just be hot wind if Rise Above weren't such a hell of a record on its own terms. It resounds with a kind of elegant simplicity: beautiful interlocking guitar parts, gorgeous three-part vocal harmonies, and some great songwriting.
“There’s a world of cross-references in Dirty Projector’s music: stuttering modal riffs from Mali, the meandering melodies of opera or modern music theater, pygmy antiphonal vocals, Captain Beefheart, Zimbabwean and Congolese rock, King Crimson, Talking Heads.”--New York Times

www.myspace.com/dirtyprojectors

POLAR BEAR
Polar Bear have earned a reputation as one of the most creative acts on the UK music scene. Their raw-boned, dramatic music mixes jazz with an electronic soundscape and a punk sensibility, underpinned by break-beat and rock rhythms. Combined with their compelling contrapuntal melodies and driving energy it's a sound that has already won them critical acclaim and a devoted audience.
Drummer and bandleader Sebastian Rochford, who is as likely to listen to Bjork, Devendra Banhart, Beethoven and Pig Destroyer as he is to Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane.
Alongside Sebastian Rochford, Polar Bear is Pete Wareham (tenor sax), Mark Lockheart (tenor sax) and Tom Herbert (bass) Leafcutter John (electronics)
Sebastian Rochford won the 'Rising Star'award at the 2004 BBC Jazz Awards. He also leads Fulborn Teversham and is a member of Acoustic Ladyland and alt-rock band Menlo Park
Polar Bear were nominated for the 'Best band' award at the BBC Jazz Award 2004. Their first album Dim Lit was released in the same year and was a small scale success. Their second record, Held on the Tips of Fingers merged elements of cool jazz, funk, dance music, free jazz, electronica and drum and bass and was, by comparison, a massive crossover hit, earning Polar Bear a nomination for the Mercury Music Prize in 2005.
The success was all the more unusual for an almost purely instrumental album. The album was nominated for a BBC Jazz Award 2006. It was selected as one of "100 Jazz Albums That Shook The World" by Jazzwise magazine.
What The Press Say…
"This is not nu jazz, acid jazz, Jamie jazz, Parky jazz, Brit jazz, beardo jazz, post-jazz or twee jazz. It's dream jazz." Paul Morley, Observer Music Monthly

"The big-hitters of the current new wave" Phil Johnson, Independent On Sunday - ABC

"Polar Bear blast out of the past, full of straight, cool school skills, and detonate the past, bursting with edgy, forward-looking lust." Paul Morley, Observer Music Monthly "

[Polar Bear] explores a mix of trance-like, long-note music over eerie, hypnotic grooves, full-on electronics and free-improv, melancholic songs, punky thrashes and some of the best two-sax conversation to be heard on the current scene." John Fordham, The Guardian

"Polar Bear… snort, shriek and wrestle somewhere ominous and charming between the tumultuous energy of Keith Tippett's 50-piece orchestra Centipede, and the eclecticism of Tortoise" Paul Morley, Observer Music Monthly

"Castanet-like handclaps trigger long, guttural sax lines; electronics fly across the speakers and give way to free-blasting; and odd, pogo-dancing themes over bumpy drumming sound like punk interpretations of Parisian café music." John Fordham, The Guardian

"…a highly creative successor to the equally distinctive Dim Lit" John Fordham, The Guardian "Here's something worth your time. Polar Bear are a significant ripple in the new wave of youthful, ahem, post-jazz". Nick Coleman, Independent On Sunday - ABC

www.polarbearmusic.com
www.myspace.com/polarbear

angel from DP = big ride

I will so fight you for her. She's so lovely looking I might go to this gig even though I've little love for the DPs.

AngelD01.jpg

I will always hate this band for that Black Flag record. Sorry..

Lucky Dragons on the other hand are great.

Longstreth has translated "It's Like That" by Run DMC into Esperanto on his blog:-
Truly, he is the king of the nerds...

IT'S LIKE THAT
senlaboreco che a rekordo alta
popolo veni, popolo iri, popolo nask al morti.
ne fari demandi a mi, char mi ne fari koni kial
sed ghi estas simil tiu, kaj tio estas la vojo ghi.

kiam mi igi ci mateno kaj levi la lito
ekzisti iom fresha pensos iri tra mia kapo.
oni estis pensos tiu veni de a songhi mirinda
ghi estis la vizio da a mondo laborulo kiel un ekipajo.

ekstere songhi
igi
nur songhi
levi

ne tie estis fusilos,
ne rezervujos, ne atombombos
kaj al esti senmalica, amiko, ne tie estis armilos.
sole popolo laborulo mano en mano
tie estis sento da paco il tero.

inter ciuj gentos
tie estis parencos bonas
tie fine estis a signifo a uniungitaj nacioj
kaj ciuj homoj esti profesio
tial ke ni ciuj laborulo kune al batali malsati

ciuj gento estis trakti sur bazo egala
ne aftero kio koloro, religio aux raso
ni ne estis malkuraga al montri nia vizagxo
gxi estis akceptinda esti en lokos fremda.

ciuj urbos da la mondo estis renovigi
kaj ciej la pololo aplaudegi kaj foiro
ciej oni estis tiel felicxa kaj gajigi
vivi en la mondo tiu oni kreita.

ne tie estis oni da strato, ni logxi libera da lui
kaj ciun persono havi loko esti
tasko, hejmo kaj pagi perfekta
kaj la mondo estis libera da envio kaj malamo.

senlaboreco esti cxe rekordo basulo
kaj la prezidantoj estis ceestanta cxe nia koncerto
auskulti al aferoj tiu ni diris
kaj pritrakti krei tago nova kaj hela.
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=78835169&blogID=197584774

That's three bands right there that i'd like to check out.

just realised it's the same week as Nadja and Animal Collective.
Talk about having a feast or a famine.

I will always hate this band for that Black Flag record. Sorry..

When I heard this record I thought it was a joke. It really pissed me off.
They were playing in Belfast a couple of days later. Even though I don't go to gigs too much anymore, my reaction had been so strong I decided to check them out anyway.
They totally blew me away, more than any band had in years.
I've never had that reaction before.
I'm interested to find out what I think of them when I see them a second time.

I wonder if the crazy drunk girls from the Whelans gig will turn up? They were amusing, the way they pissed off the band and danced to polyrhythms...

I wonder if the crazy drunk girls from the Whelans gig will turn up? They were amusing, the way they pissed off the band and danced to polyrhythms...

I thought the band were into their dancing... a bizarrely underattended gig.

Their track with David Byrne on the Red Hot charity CD is a belter also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back