Dinosaur Jr (1 Viewer)

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Playing the Forum, London (8th/9th June) and then Donnington (10th).

Please someone get them over here ....

I've been listening to the reissue of You're Living All Over Me quite a lot over the last week and you know I think I like it now even more than I did 15 years ago, and 15 years ago I thought it was the best guitar rock record I had ever heard in my life ....

hugh said:
Playing the Forum, London (8th/9th June) and then Donnington (10th).

Please someone get them over here ....

I've been listening to the reissue of You're Living All Over Me quite a lot over the last week and you know I think I like it now even more than I did 15 years ago, and 15 years ago I thought it was the best guitar rock record I had ever heard in my life ....

good article in this months Mojo about ém aswell

Pantone247 said:
a lot of that was lifted from the very very excellent book "This Band Could Be Your Life" a big overview of American indie, punk and hardcore

can't recomend that book enough, amazing stuff

I find it annoying the way it ends the chapter on each band if they sign to a major. especially the chapters about dinosar jr and the replacments, it means you only get half the story

I must be going senile seein' as I have read TBCBYL but didn't notice it being that similar.!

Without wanting to sound like too much of a nerd a bibliography would be useful at the end of some of the better mojo articles

yea gREEN MIND is a fuckin great album

u:m said:
I find it annoying the way it ends the chapter on each band if they sign to a major. especially the chapters about dinosar jr and the replacments, it means you only get half the story

Well, Azerrad says in the introduction why he chose to do that, namely, a band stops being "underground" when they get access to nationwide distribution rather than having to struggle to get stuff into the shops. That's the same definition that keeps REM from getting anything more than a passing mention throughout the book.

I guess if you're gonna write a book on the "underground", you have to define exactly what the word means, and Azerrad's definition is perfectly valid. You might disagree with it, but as least he sticks with it consistently. And regardless, I think it's a very well-written and well-researched book.

Paul

I just pulled out Bug for the first time in donkey's years there Saturday morning. Must be something in the air...

Anyone see footage of them on some American TV show from last Friday? It was shit. Well Lou was good but J sucked.

Green Mind rocks

Where you Been? was the first I got into so it'll always be my favourite.

Please somebody make them come to Ireland.

photon said:
Well, Azerrad says in the introduction why he chose to do that, namely, a band stops being "underground" when they get access to nationwide distribution rather than having to struggle to get stuff into the shops. That's the same definition that keeps REM from getting anything more than a passing mention throughout the book.

I guess if you're gonna write a book on the "underground", you have to define exactly what the word means, and Azerrad's definition is perfectly valid. You might disagree with it, but as least he sticks with it consistently. And regardless, I think it's a very well-written and well-researched book.

Paul

its a valid choice, and its still a great book, but I just found it annoying. it was like reading a book and realising the last 20 pages are missing. what happens to an underground band when they sign to a major label is an extremely important part of the story, not just of the individual band, but as a part of the overall history of that era of underground american music. The bottom line for me is that it would have been a much more interesting and informative book if it had told the full story.

while on the subject, is there a definitive husker du biography anyone could reccomend?

its a valid choice, and its still a great book, but I just found it annoying. it was like reading a book and realising the last 20 pages are missing. what happens to an underground band when they sign to a major label is an extremely important part of the story, not just of the individual band, but as a part of the overall history of that era of underground american music. The bottom line for me is that it would have been a much more interesting and informative book if it had told the full story.

Fair enough. I guess it didn't bug me too much because except for Husker Du, I'd lost interest in most of the bands covered before or right around the time they signed with a major anyway. Or, in the case of Dinosaur Jr and Mudhoney, could never stand in the first place.

while on the subject, is there a definitive husker du biography anyone could reccomend?

I don't know of any Husker Du biographys, actually. And a search under the Books sections of Amazons US and UK give, respectively, stuff in Swedish and nothing. Pity--I'd be very interested in reading one myself as well.

Paul

just downloaded the LateLate Show performance of FreeSoFree. Sweet, nice to see that J is still the laziest guitarist I've ever heard, and that is why i love him so.
So who's going over to see them in June? I'd prefer to see them in their own show as opposed to a festival, so I'm gonna try and grab me some tickets for one of those June dates. One is already sold out i hear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back