Dieting (1 Viewer)

aoifed said:
Re losing weight.... I wholly and ardently believe that the best way to lose weight is to eliminate processed foods from your diet. Last year I did this and my weight shot down and general health dramatically increased. I allowed myself brown pasta, ryvita and muesli. Everything else was whole and fresh and, where possible, organic.

I've always considred this the best route too. I've never really understood why people refer to being "on a diet" when really, a diet is a continuous active way of eating. All this feckin eating cottage cheese and a teaspoon of peanut butter on weightwatchers wafer thin bread for a month just bothers me.

When you think about it, there are tons of food items you can eat which are naturally fat-free or at least low in fat. Fruits, Veg, Pulses, Grains etc. A massive range of food comes under these categories.

Of course there are food which are wholly natural but which aren't so low in fat, such as nuts, butter, milk etc. But personally, I would rather have a little real butter than a big splodge of some shite margerine spread. And I would much rather have a daycent bit of cheese than a stupid low low processed cheese triangle. I wouldn't go for major deprivation, just a nice sensible change of food-related tactics.

I would definitely prescribe to the idea of making sure you know exactly what's in everything you're putting in your body. If you can't logically trace back to the every basic component then it just can't be any use long-term.
Despite all my pontificating, I've been eating shite lately after a previous good spell.
But I intend to kick myself up the arse very soon.

earnest-oh said:
how the fuck will you manage that?

kicking yourself with your heel doesnt count !!

Oh sure I forgot, you've never met me.

118449glOK_w.jpg

nlgbbbblth said:
On Wednesday my doctor told me I needed to lose at least two stone. He recommended I avoid various foodstuffs that I love as they were too high in fat etc.

I've ditched:
- Full fat milk on cereal etc.

The science of nutrition is really under-developed, as far as I can see. You can get books telling you anything you want to hear, pretty much

Anyway, what I wanted to say was this - there are two thing that distinguish anyone-I-know-who's-overweight's diet from mine.

First is sugar - as far as I can see, it's sugar that makes you fat, not fat. Removing full-fat milk from your diet is going to make fuck all difference (it's only 3.5% fat anyway), removing chocolate from your diet will.

Second is volume of food - the Okinawans are the longest-lived people on earth, and they reckon you should stop eating when you're 80% full

BTW If you're going to lose 2 stone Paul you're probably going to have to get used to being hungry.

Oh as for porridge, something that is fucking yummy is a pear peeled and put into the porridge as it's cooking - it stews and goes really sweet. We make it for the baba and I eat the leftovers

... but sugar from a pear is still sugar, which is what you need to avoid :( Eat more meat, eat more spices, drink more coffee, drink more spirits - that's what I'd do if I was trying to lose weight I reckon

egg_ said:
BTW If you're going to lose 2 stone Paul you're probably going to have to get used to being hungry.
Not to sound like a broken record, but if you go on the GI diet you never feel hungry, and i lost a stone on it in approx 3 weeks, no hunger pangs or nothing.

Oh and what aoife said about using non-processed stuff, have started actually trying to cook lately, avoiding anything that comes in a jar leaves you feeling much healthier, and i personally think the added cooking smells about the house put you in a good mood.

nlgbbbblth said:
Thanks for all the info people.

I am less hungry today.

Starting last week I now get 50 mins walking done per day which should help. I don't fancy the idea of joining a gym but might give Weight Watchers a try.

i know this will sound utterly impossible, but my brother lost 21 stone following the weight watchers programme.

Paullllbath: I'm on a massive health tip at the moment and just made this:
(another excuse to roar about nosh on the net)

crunchiest golden tofu and vegetable burgers
Ridiculously healthy, tasty and filling.

Smash up a load of tofu in a bowl with a grated carrot, grated courgette, soy sauce, tabasco sauce.
Gently simmer some onions, garlic, chilli, cumin seeds salt and pepper in olive oil. Just enough time to get the flavour out- say a minute (this also avoids cooking the fats too much and making em bad).

Lash that in with the smashed tofu and veg.

Also lomp in a load of chopped mixed nuts, sesame seeds and gram flour (way healthier than normal flour, it's just ground chickpeas).

Make patties (texture of a rough ball of crap. They should be soft but not falling apart if you hold em in your hand), coat in gram flour and grill from the middle shelf on a high heat, turning frequently until crispy and smelling fragrantly tempting.

Serve in wholemeal pittas, loads of leafy greens and tomatos.
Two of these bad boys should fill you up.
You can freeze left over mixture in patty shapes and have burgers ready to cook in yer freezer.

I decided to go on a diet recently. Starting to get a wee bit overweight. Basically just cutting all crisps, chocolate, biscuits etc out of my diet totally. Trying to get fizzy drinks out as well but that one is really hard. Not finding it too hard really. I usually have my breakfast and then at breaktime in school 11 o'clock a bag of crisps and then sandwhiches and an orange for lunch and maybe a mars and a biscuit or two when I got home. Only time I get hungry is in school. Other than that I'm fine. It's hard a to start with but worth it in the end.

Doing a lot more exercise to compliment it as well.

aoifed said:
Paullllbath: I'm on a massive health tip at the moment and just made this:
(another excuse to roar about nosh on the net)

crunchiest golden tofu and vegetable burgers.
Ridiculously healthy, tasty and filling.

Smash up a load of tofu in a bowl with a grated carrot, grated courgette, soy sauce, tabasco sauce.
Gently simmer some onions, garlic, chilli, cumin seeds salt and pepper in olive oil. Just enough time to get the flavour out- say a minute (this also avoids cooking the fats too much and making em bad).

Lash that in with the smashed tofu and veg.

Also lomp in a load of chopped mixed nuts, sesame seeds and gram flour (way healthier than normal flour, it's just ground chickpeas).

Make patties (texture of a rough ball of crap. They should be soft but not falling apart if you hold em in your hand), coat in gram flour and grill from the middle shelf on a high heat, turning frequently until crispy and smelling fragrantly tempting.

Serve in wholemeal pittas, loads of leafy greens and tomatos.
Two of these bad boys should fill you up.
You can freeze left over mixture in patty shapes and have burgers ready to cook in yer freezer.

cheers Aoife
One week on and I am still on it.
Getting easier. Not missing the sweet things as much although I would kill for a breakfast roll. Or even half one.

I'd love a hot cross bun. unfortunately I don't have one at my disposal. there is however a nestle vending machine downstairs.......aero or yorkie...aero or yorkie

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back