Dieting (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
On Wednesday my doctor told me I needed to lose at least two stone. He recommended I avoid various foodstuffs that I love as they were too high in fat etc.

I've ditched:
- Full fat milk on cereal
- Sausages / rashers / pudding
- Butter
- Cream
- Crisps
- Chocolate
- Cheese
- Ready meals
- Pizzas
- Fudge
- Cakes
- Biscuits
- Scotch eggs
- Pork pies
- Full cream yog(h)urts
- Chips

and have to watch calories and fat content on stuff.

I've started having porridge for breakfast. Previously it was Weetabix but that's a no-no on account of the milk.
No milk or sugar permitted so the porridge is pretty bland. I suppose I could throw on some Super / Slimline milk but I hate the stuff.

Eating more fruit and smaller portions but still feel hungry.

Any tips?

Ciaran Mackle said:
You should maybe go vegetarian. I lost a good bit of weight doing that and feel a lot healthier for it.
that's what i was going to say.... except i'm still at least a stone overweight. ah well.

add more protein - by eating pulses or soy (or soy isolate disguised in something fruity), as opposed to those things you like. protein is a dandy appetite suppressant. you can eat refined sugar and grain products all day long and always feel hungry. and yes, drink more water.

it's not really about the diet though. it's about the balance between calories in and out. a very small calorie drop in the diet can become a considerable weight loss if combined with a little more exercise. obvious stuff really, not rocket science.

either that or just accept feeling hungry.

the bongo said:
add more protein - by eating pulses or soy (or soy isolate disguised in something fruity), .
A word of warning on eating soy straight...
The Chinese did not eat unfermented soybeans as they did other legumes such as lentils because the soybean contains large quantities of natural toxins or "antinutrients". First among them are potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion.

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

Here's some ideas which may help...

give up sugar for three weeks. This means living like a diabetic for this time - don't have sugar in anything... so check labels etc. to make sure it doesn't have sugar.
In three weeks you'll lose any dependency you have on it. So that'll stop you craving any sugary stuff.

Also avoid anything with Hydrogenated Vegtable Oil. This is in a lot of pastries, bread and, in fact, most stuff you'd buy from supermarkets.
It's lethal stuff, which will sit in your arteries forever - olive oil may clear most of it out, but it's really bad for you. You'll need to check the ingredients on the packaging, but it's well worth it.

Only have one portion of wheat a day. Wheat will form doughballs in your intestine which then starts to ferment. This will cause wind (methane) in your intestines and block them up - making it harder to properly digest your food. Reducing your wheat intake will mean your intestines will digest better and you'll feel less need for food.

Try to eat slower than anyone else at the table. Eating slowly means your taste buds are more stimulated and it gives you more time to digest and enjoy your food - and it will mean you won't want to eat as much.

Give up meat for at least a month - again, this will help you beat any cravings for it. I'd say the same goes for booze. And coffee.

Eat lots of natural yogurt - the acidophilus in it will help your digestion immensily and help your digestion - try the yogurt with honey and berries - it's supergood.

And check out Argan Oil - it's a Moroccoan alternative to Olive Oil. Apparently it's far more efficient at clearing your arteries than olive oil. It's going to be the next big thing in foodstuffs.
And girls - apparently it's amazing for your skin.

Oh! And learn how to make Dhaal - if you don't already. That'll really fill you up during the day. The perfect lunch meal.

Keith Talent said:
give up sugar for three weeks. This means living like a diabetic for this time - don't have sugar in anything... so check labels etc. to make sure it doesn't have sugar.
In three weeks you'll lose any dependency you have on it. So that'll stop you craving any sugary stuff.

nooooooooooooooooooo

lots of people i work with have been banging on about the gi diet and they all look great on it, whether they put back on all the weight they've lost when they start eating normally again is subject to oublic enquiry but its a suggestion anyway.

good luck with it anyway, hope it goes well.

take loads of exercise too!

cpr said:
lots of people i work with have been banging on about the gi diet and they all look great on it, whether they put back on all the weight they've lost when they start eating normally again is subject to oublic enquiry but its a suggestion anyway.

good luck with it anyway, hope it goes well.

take loads of exercise too!
what's that now?

Different things work for different people. I went vegitarian for a couple of years and put on a load of weight. Mainly due to the fact that I started using a shitload of cheese in any vegitarian dish I cooked. I decided to try out weightwatchers to try to shift a stone. Out of all the diets that I looked at, this one looked the most healthy - you weren't cutting out any foods, just cutting down on the amount you were eating.

It was quite hard at the start. The recommended portion sizes were laughably small compared to what I was used to eating (especially for pasta and rice), so there was a lot of balancing out to be done (although cutting back on the snacks I was eating during the day helped a lot). However, after a while I got used to the portions/hunger. If you stick to the designated weekly points, you will lose weight. As with any diet it takes a lot of discipline. It also helps if you prepare all your own food (and an accurate kitchen scales is essential). I cut back a lot on eating out and drinking (although I did always try to save some points for a decent night out at the weekend). I didn't go to meetings or anything - I got a book/disk detailing the points and just did it myself.

I managed to shift the weight I wanted and then some. Although I have put on some of the weight again, I'm more concious of what I'm eating these days. My portions aren't quite as small as during the WW days, but neither are they as big as the pre WW days. I'm exercising a lot more now to help keep the weight down a bit. Try to get your hands on a points book and try it out for a week to see what you think.

Bag'o'cans said:
A word of warning on eating soy straight...

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

Jesus Christ...I'm vegitarian and have been gradually going down the vegan route since my son was born (breastfeeding = empathy with cows!) That meant that more and more soy has been creeping into my diet - and his... although I don't give him soy formula... I just read that article... Call me easily swayed but I am proceeding to the kitchen to throw out all soy-based products.
And here's me thinking the dairy industry was bad!
Scary stuff.
Unprocessed pulses n stuff for protein is the way to go.. gotta be.. I saw a really easy recipe for almond milk too - maybe i'll give that a try..
Sorry - off topic - i have nothing to say about dieting yet... try me in 30 years maybe. Eh - goodluck.

I can vouch for the GI diet - lost a stone in about a month and wasn't hungry at any point, and there's no real fear of putting on weight when you come off it, because you never really do - it's not about cutting down on food/deprevation/feeling hungry - it's based on getting more longer lasting energy from food thus not needing to eat as much - you never feel hungry and when you want to swap from losing weight to maintaining weight, you just add things to your diet like bananas or maybe the odd bit of white bread. It's ace!! I've a spare book on it here aswell if anyone wants it :)

Are there any sports/activities that you always wanted to try but just never got around to it? This is as good an excuse as any to give it a shot.

Although, it'd be kinda odd to see a 34 year old investment banker on a skateboard outside the central bank, so y'know, use common sense. Try golf or something.

Best of luck.

Re. Soy: That's the same doctor that says we should dramatically reduce our intake of grains .... I'm not sure I trust him. A squillion other nutritionists, and many ancient schools of thought on food (e.g. macrobiotics) advocate grains as essential in the diet.

Re losing weight.... I wholly and ardently believe that the best way to lose weight is to eliminate processed foods from your diet. Last year I did this and my weight shot down and general health dramatically increased. I allowed myself brown pasta, ryvita and muesli. Everything else was whole and fresh and, where possible, organic.

I think when you do this in conjunction with a reasonable amount of physical activity (remember that walking, cycling, riding etc are all included) you will reach your natural, optimum weight.

Everything ended up tasting better, sating my nutritional needs and improving my mental well being.

Oh and you save money. When you're not drinking and buying sweet snax or crap you really do save a lot.

seanc said:
Are there any sports/activities that you always wanted to try but just never got around to it? This is as good an excuse as any to give it a shot.

Although, it'd be kinda odd to see a 34 year old investment banker on a skateboard outside the central bank, so y'know, use common sense. Try golf or something.

I retired undefeated from badminton in 1987.
Might take it up again.

I'm not a golf fan. Frustrating game. Plus so many people play it nowadays so they can network etc as opposed to actually enjoying it. That sort of corporate bullshit is annoying.

I'm not an investment banker. Just an ordinary dude working in the business banking end of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back