Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (3 Viewers)

Are those tablets like fluxotine? did you have a way bigger appitite after being put on those. Ive gone between loosing over a stone and now now stop eating all around me.

yeah they're in the same category alright, they're prozac basically. And yes I lost weight to begin with too but then it went right back on, and more...and more... and they made me crave sweet things too, which I don't normally.

kirstie said:
ah you know I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. If you reduce so slowly that your reduction takes longer than being on them full strength did then you're just drawing it out for a huge amount of time and getting symptoms each time you go down to a lower dose anyway. My doctor gave me what I consider to be really bad advice - he told me to start by removing one tablet, next week remove 2, next week remove 3 etc. So I was on this constant rollercoaster of feeling ok / feeling weird / feeling appalling and then back again. I have about 2 weeks of his miraculous scheme left but I'm not gonna take anymore, I just actually can't bear it and am determined to just ride out the rest of the withdrawal. I haven't had one since monday and hopefully the weirdness will start to fade soon.

well, the only way of coming off them that will guarantee no withdrawl effects (despite the fact that many working in the medical / psychiatric professions still claim that SSRIs do not cause dependance - something that i dont believe to be true) is to do it very gradually, much more gradually than what you were recommended. i do know, however, of many cases where individuals have stopped taking them entirely and suffered no ill effects. this however, may be a rarity in the case of those on them for a long time (e.g. several years).

generally, SSRIs are very similar in their actions and effects, though there can be some differences. one thing to bear in mind is that an individuals reaction to any psychoactive substance is going to be individual: what works for one may not work for another. perhaps an overly obvious and pedantic statement, but one that that many working in these professions and dishing out these pills may not take into account.

all the best to you.

ah thanks Brian. I am actually getting worse by the day at the moment, more and more tired, more confused and disoriented, more weird brain zaps, which are getting stronger and more varied. I'm starting to worry about work as well, if I can't go to work, I might lose my job, unless of course this all clears up fairly soon. I just can't seem to find any info on how long I can expect to feel like this for.

Brian Conniffe said:
all the best to you.

kirstie said:
ah thanks Brian. I am actually getting worse by the day at the moment, more and more tired, more confused and disoriented, more weird brain zaps, which are getting stronger and more varied. I'm starting to worry about work as well, if I can't go to work, I might lose my job, unless of course this all clears up fairly soon. I just can't seem to find any info on how long I can expect to feel like this for.

if you dont mind me asking, how long were you on them for?

the brain zaps are a noted effect of withdrawl, but dont worry, they wont damage your mind or body. of course, i realise how unpleasant they are

SIX bleedin' months! You'd swear it was 6 years...

Brian Conniffe said:
if you dont mind me asking, how long were you on them for?

the brain zaps are a noted effect of withdrawl, but dont worry, they wont damage your mind or body. of course, i realise how unpleasant they are

kirstie said:
SIX bleedin' months! You'd swear it was 6 years...

right, these effects (flu like feeling, electrical zaps, lightheadedness) should only last around a week or so. if they persist for any longer, consult your doctor.

get well soon, and all the best.

god im worried about coming off mine now, not for another while yet but concerned having read the continuation of this thread, im on cymbalta which is fairly new to the market

don't worry about it until you get some info on it. Seroxat is notoriously difficult to withdraw from and that isn't the case for all SSRI's - prozac has no discernible withdrawal side effects for example. It's to do with the amount of time it stays in your system - Seroxat only has a half life of 24 hours, whereas prozac has a half life of 6 weeks or something, meaning withdrawal is much easier.

kirstie said:
don't worry about it until you get some info on it. Seroxat is notoriously difficult to withdraw from and that isn't the case for all SSRI's - prozac has no discernible withdrawal side effects for example. It's to do with the amount of time it stays in your system - Seroxat only has a half life of 24 hours, whereas prozac has a half life of 6 weeks or something, meaning withdrawal is much easier.
Don't know if it's of much help but when I was coming off Seroxat the 'electric shocks' and general shite-ness took about a month to pass though after the first two weeks they got gradually less severe. I didn't taper off though, I had to just stop them suddenly because of side-effects so although it was a harsh shock to the system it did shorten the whole process.

cool, thanks. I'm forcing myself to go to work at the moment and do things such as post a lot of crap on thumped because I can't actually concentrate properly on anything worky. Ah well! I'm on the fucking things because of work in the first place so ha! Take that work!

Juno said:
Don't know if it's of much help but when I was coming off Seroxat the 'electric shocks' and general shite-ness took about a month to pass though after the first two weeks they got gradually less severe. I didn't taper off though, I had to just stop them suddenly because of side-effects so although it was a harsh shock to the system it did shorten the whole process.

OK,

I had a look at this thread back in March when I was really down and I resolved to visit my GP, get counselling and meds and sort my shit out.
I visited the GP, he gave me Xanax and did some blood tests to determine whether there were any physical reasons for feeling 'blue' such as a faulty thoiroid etc which I figured was pretty good.

I didnt take the Xanax (took one and it made me feel ultra paranoid, thought I was gonna die in my sleep so I kept myself awake), but I gradually felt better so by the time the blood tests came back I was feeling grand so my GP and I left it at that.

Now I feel crap again (sleeping all day, up all night) so I'm going to my GP tomorrow (provided I can leave the house) to try and get counselling (not a fan of medication). Obviously I'm unemployed (and have been for months), but I havent got a medical card which leads me to question how much counselling will cost?

Another thing, I've lost all my recent jobs due to not showing up when I've been feeling down, I can't get a reference so I dont know how I'm going to get a new job to pay for my mental well-being, if I dont get a job I'll remain down, if I remain down I wont have the interest in getting a job.... see the cycle? What can I do? Should I just stick it on my CV?

This thread really helped me in March, gave me the courage to go to my GP, to take that first step which, deep down, I knew for years I should take. Thanks to you all :)

First things first, Todd. Why don’t you have a medical card if you’re not working? Apply for one now.

If you’re referred to your local Mental Health Clinic (You have to do this thru your GP), then they’ll assess you and suggest a course of action. It’s not as scary as it seems and some are good (though some are not). If you do get prescribed medication from them, then they will be free. So long as you get the script from them and are still “on their books”. Obviously, they will try and get you off the books as soon as possible.

If it’s counselling you’re after, try and get the local guys to refer you to a Clinical Psychologist. Speaking form personal experience (and not trying to denigrate anyone or devalue anyone else’s experience), Psychologists are much better. Psychiatrists are doctors and most seem to think the meds will work wonders. They can, but it’s now more widely accepted that the best way to avoid reoccurrence of depression is thru a combination of medication and counselling (preferably cognitive therapy (CBT)).

Counselling need not be expensive. Northside Counselling offers a service where you basically pay what you can, if you can. Number here: (01) 848 4789 (http://www.cidb.ie/comhairleVCS.nsf/0/cff3e2d224820f5a80256dea00481172?OpenDocument)

But that’s in Coolock. Not sure where you’re at.

One of the best things you can do is to try and get some exercise. A walk in the sunshine will do more for you than hiding under the covers.

My Psychologist rang me out of the blue yesterday to see how I was doing. I thought it was a nice touch. A shrink won’t do that.

I assume you’ve applied for your Social Welfare benefits?

I wouldn’t stick depression on your CV. It shouldn’t define you as a person. Although it is a recognised disability (since last December) and a prospective employer may (or may not) be able to apply for a grant to take you on. This may only apply for physical disabilities though.

And stay away for alcohol, at least for the moment. And recreational drugs. Get your head and your emotions straight before using that diversion.

Talk to your GP. And make him talk about it. Most of them just want to give you tablets and send you on your way. That’s because it’s a tough subject and they are, GENERAL Practitioners, after all. But they will refer you to the experts.

Whatever you decide to do, try and keep the faith. Things will get better. You already know this as you’ve been thru it before.

Good luck.

Todd - counselling can cost in and around 60 quid a pop. And don't necessarily write off taking medication - sometimes it just takes a while to find one that suits you. And it can really help, especially if you're having panic attacks or anxiety, which is what I'm guessing the doctor prescribed the xanax for?

As for references, just email your old employers and ask them.

I lost my last non-temping job, for reason's that seem similar enough to yours. It took ages for me to get the balls to email them and ask for a reference. Yerman sent a back a message saying he would be delighted to give me a reference. Incidently, since then, the guy who demanded I be fired had left, so that wasn't no problem. Anyway, just fire off the email's to your old employers, no harm in asking.

I assume your not a student, if you were you could get some free counselling, which I've been availing of.

I don't have a medical card and my GP was able to refer me to the local health board psychiatrist. This included a free visit and prescription that I was attending for months and am now back on the waiting list because i'm struggling a bit again.

It's nothing you should be ashamed of and the doctor sees many people with similar problems each day. Would you be embaressed about visiting the doctor because of a chest infection? It's just another illness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back