Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (1 Viewer)

Re: Depression

towards the end of last year and start of this year i was suffering from the effects of stress and exhaustion, basically had alot on my plate in work, at home and socially for a few months and then came down with some viral infection and was wiped out mentally and physically and found it really hard to break out of the cycle. blood tests showed my immune system was shot although the doc couldn't diagnose anything specific which only added to the stress. just about had enough energy to drag meself into work and get through the day there and had no energy left the rest of the time. found it really hard to explain how i was feeling to friends and family who i was constantly having to make excuses to. being naturally lazy, but high strung, made it all even harder to explain.

anyways, doc eventually gave me a wee booklet on handling stress and that helped me stop and think about the bigger picture and make the decision to just take it easy and step out of normal hectic everyday life for a while. even just being able to finger stress as the culprit was a big break through and helped others understand too and give me space.

making alot of progress now and what it boils down to is healthy diet, exercise and positive thinking (or at least much less negative thinking). at its worst i felt really dizzy, weak and remote. i made a big effort to cut down on booze and junk food while increasing the amount of healthy foods. then started exercising a bit, not just walking which i'd been doing plenty of but more intense aerobic exercise to really clear out the cobwebs. it was really hard to force myself to get going but the benefits were immediate.

anyways, just thought i should add my 2c here because i and the doc often quetioned if i was depressed or suffering from anxiety attacks but i wasn't. what it came down to was an unhealthy lifestyle essentially. the sort of stuff you can get away with in your early 20's but i certainly found i couldn't keep it up.

indeed. i used get offended when my mother suggested i should improve my diet, as though she was belittling the extent of my depression by suggesting it could be cured with something as basic as that. and if you're very severely or clinically depressed, i'm not sure if eating more greens is likely to do much for you because you're probably too entrenched in your feelings to be cured by anything other than counselling and/or medication. (i've never read anything to that effect but it sounds plausible enough to me. in the worst bits of my depression i was very fit and physically healthy.) but i think for mild to moderate depression (edit: or stress/anxiety), healthing yourself up can definitely mean the difference between getting better and getting worse.

seanc said:
Jesus I feel like a fuckin shtate.

I didn't sleep last night at all. Not one wink. The same on sunday night. I got about 3 hours in on friday. It's the only way I can get to lectures. Otherwise I'll stay in bed till 4.

What the fuck is goin on? Anybody?

too much coffee.

But I hate coffee ramps. I hate coffee even more than I hate garlic.
That's why I don't fit in with the cool kids.

Thanks for the words people.

Since I haven't slept in 30 hours at this point, should I continue with my day till I get sleepy, or should I go to bed now?

Also, mr conniffe: the somnus stuff is made up of valerian extract, lettuce and hops. I'll check those up on the interweb now.

oh, and thanks for the "ha ha, you're depressed" derepping. It's cool of you to insult all these people, who's probs have been much worse than my own.

re: your rep note to me - if valerian is relaxing you rather than beating the bejaysus out of you psychologically, you're probably okay to take it :)

theweeyin said:
Just pay the 20 yos and be done with it.

in fairness though, that rep comment is totally out of line and not even remotely funny. if seanc is continually receiving insulting comments (and he is in no way the "worst poster" here in terms of offensiveness) then it is pretty much bullying and harassment.

Brian Conniffe said:
i wasnt aware that valerian could effect mood like that, but its not all the surprising as its a sedative. thank you for the information. i would like to state that using any substance to induce sleep should only be done after looking at aspects of your lifestyle (i.e. consumption of caffine, recreational drugs, general daily activity, stress etc) and researching information on the sunstance (which is very easy with online search engines).

if insomnia is really bad, obviously go to a doctor, but do be aware that the sleeping tablets they perscribe (benzodiazapiems such as mogodon, valium, ativan etc) can be extremely addictive and should only be used when absolutely necessary (the idea behind them is to get you back into a sleeping pattern, and then discontinue use, but unfortunately there is an attitude of certain GPs who will just throw tablets at any patients problems. needless to say, they should only be used with caution).

ah the wise words of Mr. Brian Conniffe.

Hey, Seanc, i always find that a doob and a wank prior to sleep really knocks me into the land of nod.:p
also, get up really early . like 8 every morning for a week, and if its just your pattern thats off, thatll slap you back into the system

Jeez Sean, that sounds like a shit buzz.

Went through the same myself recently, lasted 8 weeks and I was like a zombie. Did everything right, changed my diet, cut out caffeine, cut down on alcohol, got more exercise. Nothing worked.

Finally gave up and went to my doc, took one sleeping tablet and slept like a baby that night. Cycle was broken, and I'm back sleeping semi-normal.

I've bumped up the fruit intake, kiwis/bananas/pineapple are all good. Cut out bread, especially white bread, and if you have to drink tea try decaf Earl Grey. Very tasty. Cook a main meal every day. Most importantly, establish a sleeping pattern (go to bed at 10/11, get up at 7/8) over the course of a week or two.

Good luck mate.

sean: sounds nerdy but it sounds like you need some sunlight and fresh air as a start. it sounds like you spend alot of time indoors which really doesnt help. try getting out more and going for walks etc. excercise improves sleep no end.

Is there an unusually high incidence of depression (and worse) on thumped? Sounds like it - I wonder why?

sean - sounds to me like you need to break out of a rut. Maybe stay someplace else for a while? Preferably in someplace where you just won't be able to stay in bed all day

egg_ said:
Is there an unusually high incidence of depression (and worse) on thumped? Sounds like it - I wonder why?

sean - sounds to me like you need to break out of a rut. Maybe stay someplace else for a while? Preferably in someplace where you just won't be able to stay in bed all day

i think there is an unusually high incidence of depression in ireland also, apparently 1 in 5 people are being treated for some form of depression or anxiety

egg_ said:

We're the right demographic?

I've been stunned recently by the amount of my friends who've opened up to me recently and they're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Curious - what's the process for getting treatment? Do you just go to a doctor and he lobs pills at you, or do you have to do tests and see people and such first? And (stupid question i know but), is it expensive?

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Curious - what's the process for getting treatment? Do you just go to a doctor and he lobs pills at you, or do you have to do tests and see people and such first? And (stupid question i know but), is it expensive?
Sometimes you just go to your doctor and they go "hmmm, hmmm" and then write you a prescription and charge you €50. If they consider you a bit more worrying then they'll probably refer you to a psychiatrist (damn expensive if you go private, takes forever if you're public). The only ones who really do testing as such are psychologists - you can just contact one yourself or get referred by a GP/psychiatrist. Their fees vary from place to place. Some GPs will refer you to a counsellor or psychologist before or at the same time as prescribing medication.

That's the basic process anyway.

Thanks for all the words people, hopefully other people will find them helpful at some point too.
tbh, it was as much a cranky rant as anything else. But I'm taking all your advice on board, and we'll see what happens.........

Juno said:
Sometimes you just go to your doctor and they go "hmmm, hmmm" and then write you a prescription and charge you €50. If they consider you a bit more worrying then they'll probably refer you to a psychiatrist (damn expensive if you go private, takes forever if you're public). The only ones who really do testing as such are psychologists - you can just contact one yourself or get referred by a GP/psychiatrist. Their fees vary from place to place. Some GPs will refer you to a counsellor or psychologist before or at the same time as prescribing medication.

That's the basic process anyway.

if u're worried about expense don't forget about the med 1 form where you can claim back on all GP bills, prescriptions, not sure about psychologist fees though. can be downloaded on revenue.ie

cheryl said:
if u're worried about expense don't forget about the med 1 form where you can claim back on all GP bills, prescriptions, not sure about psychologist fees though. can be downloaded on revenue.ie
Re the above: if you have a DPS card but have forgotten to keep receipts after paying for meds your chemist can print off a record of all your filled prescriptions for the year.

Juno said:
Re the above: if you have a DPS card but have forgotten to keep receipts after paying for meds your chemist can print off a record of all your filled prescriptions for the year.

cool. what's a dps card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back