Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (1 Viewer)

Re: Depression

Jesus I feel like a fuckin shtate.

I didn't sleep last night at all. Not one wink. The same on sunday night. I got about 3 hours in on friday. It's the only way I can get to lectures. Otherwise I'll stay in bed till 4.

What the fuck is goin on? Anybody?

seanc said:

I didn't sleep last night at all. Not one wink. The same on sunday night. I got about 3 hours in on friday. It's the only way I can get to lectures. Otherwise I'll stay in bed till 4.

are you accustomed to going to sleep very late and waking up late? if so, then the problem might be that you're sleeping pattern is set that way. do you drink alot of coffee or tea? if you are having trouble getting to sleep, you might find taking valerian in some form before going bed helpful, you should be able to get it in most health food stores.

seanc said:

what do you do during the day? when do you have your main meals? what activities do you do in the evening - i.e. do you play playstation, watch tv etc, do drugs etc?

Brian Conniffe said:
if you are having trouble getting to sleep, you might find taking valerian in some form before going bed helpful, you should be able to get it in most health food stores.

i have used valerian loads - if i'm working really late but need to be up for a meeting etc. it was really good and I was telling everone about it and then someone pointed out that it shouldn't be used by somoene on anti-depressant medication. so if you are on medication be careful but if you're not !zed happy daze

broken arm said:
i have used valerian loads - if i'm working really late but need to be up for a meeting etc. it was really good and I was telling everone about it and then someone pointed out that it shouldn't be used by somoene on anti-depressant medication. so if you are on medication be careful but if you're not !zed happy daze
yeah - valerian has a good rep as a relaxer but it is strong as fuck. i used it while depressed and unmedicated and it put me in total foul moods, and i used it while on antidepressants and it didn't affect me as badly psychologically but it still had strong and unwelcome physical effects. to be honest i'd consult someone qualified in these matters (someone from melt in temple bar, for example) before using any herbs - people think 'ah they're only herbs' but they can have very very strong effects. i'm not saying don't use them, only be careful.

Super Dexta said:
yeah - valerian has a good rep as a relaxer but it is strong as fuck. i used it while depressed and unmedicated and it put me in total foul moods, and i used it while on antidepressants and it didn't affect me as badly psychologically but it still had strong and unwelcome physical effects. to be honest i'd consult someone qualified in these matters (someone from melt in temple bar, for example) before using any herbs - people think 'ah they're only herbs' but they can have very very strong effects. i'm not saying don't use them, only be careful.

actually it was you that told me about the problem. so yea, i'll be more careful about who i tell to use it.

I got something out of a pharmacy for the sleep. Its herbal stuff, over the counter,Somnus its called. I'll find out what's in it later.
It doesn't help me sleep any earlier, but I do wake up more relaxed, like it was a good sleep.
Day's like today where I haven't slept, I'd take a couple of guarana tablets (the kind you'd find in Dunnes). I'm not sure if they wake me up, but they make me a bit tetchy and nervous.

I am accustomed to goin to bed late. But what used to be 1am is now 4am.
And waking up late used to 8.45. Now it can be as late a 2 or 3. And then actually getting up is another story.

I'd drink 3 maybe 4 cupsa tae a day. I hate coffee.

Durin the day, i'm in lectures, I walk about. On the internet a lot.
Main meals are rare. I might eat 10 "meals" a week. the rest of its tea and toast, chocolate bars and general shit.

In the evenings: I'd usually be on the computer, surfin round the place, listenin to the radio, not doin my thesis or studyin. Ain't got no tv/playstation. occasionally drink on weeknights (around once every other week maybe). I train late enough on a tuesday and thursday, but that doesn't make me tired. I usually feel very alert afterward.

Go out on a friday (though that's gettin knocked on the head soon), drink, but don't get fuckin shitfaced. If there's joints being passed around I'll have a go. I don't do any other drugs at any other time. I smoke about 20 a day, more if I'm insomniac'd.

I'm not on any other medication.

I just need to acquire some major cop on for the next two months. Final exams and all.

Thanks for the help guys

i wasnt aware that valerian could effect mood like that, but its not all the surprising as its a sedative. thank you for the information. i would like to state that using any substance to induce sleep should only be done after looking at aspects of your lifestyle (i.e. consumption of caffine, recreational drugs, general daily activity, stress etc) and researching information on the sunstance (which is very easy with online search engines).

if insomnia is really bad, obviously go to a doctor, but do be aware that the sleeping tablets they perscribe (benzodiazapiems such as mogodon, valium, ativan etc) can be extremely addictive and should only be used when absolutely necessary (the idea behind them is to get you back into a sleeping pattern, and then discontinue use, but unfortunately there is an attitude of certain GPs who will just throw tablets at any patients problems. needless to say, they should only be used with caution).

seanc said:
Day's like today where I haven't slept, I'd take a couple of guarana tablets (the kind you'd find in Dunnes). I'm not sure if they wake me up, but they make me a bit tetchy and nervous.

that doesnt sound particularly pleasant or helpful, i'd say (only my opinion of course) avoid them for a while. it is a fairly potent cerebral stimulant. what i would say is more important is getting back into a regular sleep cycle, going to bed early enough so you can get up early.

try eating regular meals, avoiding excessively sugary foods and drinks, and avoid drinking tea in the evening (tea contains as much caffeine as coffee does generally, but its slow release).

a handy thing as well might be to avoid intensive reading just before going to bed, try and just get your mind to wind down before sleep instead of stimulating it.

hope this could be of some help, all the best...

broken arm said:
it's probably just exam stress playing on your mind. that's normal as.

well yeah that's what I'm thinkin. I don't even wanna think about it being anything else, but I don't think it is. But I'm at me wits end here dudes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back