Depression [Aware Helpline 1890 303 302] (1 Viewer)

Re: Depression

This thread is amazing. So much good advice and practical things to do. Beats any fucking psychotherapist.

I've dealt with this both directly and indirectly in my life and some of the things said here really would have been invaluable in times past, but will be VERY valuable in the future.

Good good stuff. :)

isnt it sad to see that there are so many people suffering though?

yeah, and it's sad that people don't really talk about it either. It seems to me that there is still a taboo in Irish society about depression and a lot of terrible misunderstandings about it too. Personal like, I had a sort of breakdown-ish type episode in November which had been in the post since about last July. I'm still climbing back up out of a pit of what was almost complete despair, a total lack of sleep and pretty much sheer terror. I'm not back to normal yet, but I think I am slowly getting there.

is there an element of depression being like the flu?

i.e. where some people say they have the flu but actually have the cold.

stress can be similar

serious question like

This thread alone makes me glad Pete keeps thumped running. Seriously, when it comes time for people to ask what Pete did with his life, this thread should be on the list.

I've gone through 3/4 black periods in the last 11 years (only started when I was 17), lasting from a few weeks to a few months. Started for no identifiable reason, went away in the same way. Couldn't leave the house, couldn't eat, couldn't listen to music, talk to family/friends, nothing.

Worst feeling was thinking that there was no reason to feel that bad, which started a really vicious circle of feeling bad about feeling bad about feeling bad.

For some reason, at least when I have something to blame (money worries, or relationship shit, or illness in the family) I can cope really well. I'll be down obviously, but I'm far more focused in how to handle the stress.

Exercise was the most important thing I could do to help lift my mood.

Anyone read "Veronika decides to die"? its about this. It's good but if ya don't like magical realism. stay clear. missus young one, you should read this book and drink hot milk, the smell sedates ya. you don't have to even drink it. fuckin happens to the best of us and you do grow out of it, acute anxiety affects a lot of folk in early twenties. cognative behav. therapy is the best, only two in ireland but they are what ya need when you have terror.

Wow.

Fuck.

There's nothing I can add to this thread advice-wise that hasn't already been said. Well done to everyone for giving all that advice.

It's definitly worth noting, from looking at this thread, just how many people have had problems. People have busy lives, and sometimes you won't notice that your friends have problems, or they won't notice your's, or you won't notice your own. Be aware.

Its gotten me terribly worried about the fact that it's half one and I haven't left the house yet. And I havent slept before 4am since september, except for when I pass out in the afternoon after not sleeping at all.

The stigma folks, its awful. And psychiatric hospitals are just terrible terrible places. I've worked in the one back home. My mothers a nurse there, as are/have been 5 aunts, 1 uncle and 4 cousins. They're better than they were 10 years ago, but the generally negative attitude towards mental illness is still there, bigtime.

Oh, while we're sharing like, I had counselling too for a couple of years. It helped.

phew..........

Group hug everybody! Seriously.....

c0De_n1NjA said:

That shits scary.

On a more possitive note exercise,expecially outdoor or countryside exercise is really really good. Since I moved to Wales (from Dublin) I've started kayaking and generally being in the mountains regularly. I'll never live in a big city as big as Dublin ever again.

moose said:
That shits scary.

On a more possitive note exercise,expecially outdoor or countryside exercise is really really good. Since I moved to Wales (from Dublin) I've started kayaking and generally being in the mountains regularly. I'll never live in a big city as big as Dublin ever again.

you north walians and your active lifestyles. just like the west walians.

moose said:
That shits scary.

I didn't really read through it at first, but the google ads on the page are a bit bizarre. Sometimes google doesn't quite pick up on the spirit of certain websites.......

broken arm said:
you north walians and your active lifestyles. just like the west walians.

Well it works for me. Healthy body = healthy mind and all that. And we do live in the foothills of Snowdonia so it's kinda handy and there's fuck all else to do either.

What an amazing thread. It actually made me nearly cry to read some of this stuff, but I think that is the relief of knowing that I'm not alone.
I've suffered on and off with anxiety and depression since I was 18 and the thing that gets me the most is knowing that it could come back at any time and there's nothing I can do about it until it passes. It's the anxiety that is pretty fucking scary. Squack, I suffered from the most violent physical symptoms of anxiety, starting with vomiting every morning to the shakes and panic attacks and then the dreaded insomnia. Waking up at early o clock every day feeling scared and shaky and sick and then not being able to sleep for hours at night is one of the lowest points I have reached. I tried counselling at uni but I am also a cynical cunt and already had all the answers.
As for the depression, in June last year I was referred to a CBP to get help with that and he was a total wanker....made me feel like I was wasting his time. I was then referred to a psychiatric nurse who made me feel like there was nothing wrong and I was just feeling what a lot of people feel. I'm in the process of coming off the anti-depressants and feeling a lot better for it. I've experienced both extremes of anxiety and depression and they are such totally different feeling - neither of them good mind you.
I've adopted the mantra my gran gave me "don't let the fear win". It is a matter of telling yourself, no matter how shitty you are feeling, that it WILL go away and you WILL beat it. I found the best thing to do was stop dwelling on it and believe me I KNOW how hard it is to do that. Don't let it become the focus of your day. Don't let it be the only thing you talk to everyone about. I found myself doing that when I first had anxiety and i became aware that I was constantly looking for someone to give me the answer. It took a while to realise that I was a big part of that answer. Every day it gets a little better and you've got to cling on to the fact that it wasnt always like this and IT WONT BE LIKE THIS FOREVER. Positive reinforcement is a powerful tool in beating anxiety. I have talked myself out of four episodes of anxiety, all lasting various lengths, and I know I can do it again if it comes to it.

A herbal remedy: RESCUE REMEDY is an excellent herbal remedy for calming the nerves. It doesnt take away the anxiety in one go, but it helps to calm your mind and give you some breathing space to focus on thinking positively. It is available in liquid or spray forms and you just put a few drops on your tongue and let it work its magic. Also handy for people who get nervous before interviews or gigs or whatever.

I considered starting a thread like this about 2 months ago when I was in the throes of another bout but was scared I'd get laughed outta town, so thanks for sharing guys.
Anyway, think I've shared enough of my woes now. It is so wonderful to know that there is such a great bunch of folks on Thumped. Thanks to Pete for letting this happen :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back