DEERHUNTER + HEALTH (5 Viewers)

yeah he came across well. nice to hear a bit of noise on daytime Phantom

This will be Deerhunter's first ever show with new guitarist Whitney Petty.

thought the guy that left came back, no???

won't be able to make this thanks to an upper nasal infection and dopey antibiotics :(

still, i'll hopefully get to catch them at primavera in a few weeks

Health were fantastic but i was a bit disappointed with Deerhunter. It was the first time i saw them and i expected a bit more. Ah well.......

the set seemed a little more disjointed than last time. I still thought they were great all the same.

Though I could have done without seeing yer man the skinny bloke doing a big gob into that burd's mouth. That was horrible. I bet her mother doesn't approve of her being in that band!!

Health were deadly. Dunno if I could listen to their album or that (bought it so will give it a go) but they're very entertaining live. The drummer looks mad.

Yeah, the mouth-to-mouth gobbing was maybe something I could have done without seeing!.. The first one seemed to end up in her hair.. Enjoyed both sets, but Deerhunter probably could have thrown us a few more oldies towards the end.. 80% new and unreleased stuff is a bit much, even if the new stuff sounds decent. Less drone/echo saturated and more 'song orientated' for sure. Maybe the new guitar player doesn't know most of the old songs yet. The Strange Lights encore with the bass player goofing around on the drums and Bradford riding piggyback on the new girl was quite amusing though. Health was a nice blast of sinister noise, reminded me of Liars or that type of thing.

I thought Health were fantastic, might even go see em again tonight. Deerhunter on the other hand were really disappointing, they seemed so bored, which made me bored, woulda left had I not been with a mate who wanted to stick around. Even the last song which was marginally more energetic seemed like they were just having a laugh together and not really putting anything extra into actually playing their music.

Immensely disappointed so I was! I thought Deerhunter were dull, and like someone said - they looked dead bored which didn't help...

More distortion please...more epic mind melts please... less gobbing in girlies mouth please.

Still, they seem like very nice people...gah! Like THAT matters... I couldn't care less what the lads from Health are like coz I was too busy soaking up their unreal sound - anyone that came late and missed them should check them out tonight - Herv and Health seems far more appealing now.

yeah I know. Just at the end. Before he got her to give him that half-arsed jockey back. And I was back a bit. I pity those right up the front.

Like me? She gobbed a massive one right back at him accross the stage.

I thought Health were tremendously shite, they did zero for me.

On the other hand, and apparently I'm in the minority, I thought Deerhunter were great. The first couple of new songs they played I wasn't so hot on but once they got going I loved it. Especialy liked the new song about 3 from the end of the main set, just before the song that Pocket sang most of the vocals on. Bradford said after that he didn't write that one but that Josh the bassist had, the other guys in the band kinda get lost in the mix when it comes to getting credit it seems. Pocket apparently wrote strange lights too.

Like me? She gobbed a massive one right back at him accross the stage.

I thought Health were tremendously shite, they did zero for me.

On the other hand, and apparently I'm in the minority, I thought Deerhunter were great. The first couple of new songs they played I wasn't so hot on but once they got going I loved it. Especialy liked the new song about 3 from the end of the main set, just before the song that Pocket sang most of the vocals on. Bradford said after that he didn't write that one but that Josh the bassist had, the other guys in the band kinda get lost in the mix when it comes to getting credit it seems. Pocket apparently wrote strange lights too.

I guess I'm in that minority too with you Ian. Health - some great bits of sound but there's very little actually there. The one traditional style song they played (the two chord dirge near the end of their set) showed what they could do if they put their intense sound to any kind of use but as it is it's mildly entertaining if you like noise but pretty much forgettable. They put far too much faith in their instruments and pedals and not enough in their own songs if you ask me.

(edit: that comes off sounding too harsh. I did actually enjoy Health, I just wasn't gonna buy their album.)

Deerhunter on the other hand I was really delighted by. Not being familiar with the majority of their stuff beyond maybe three tunes meant that the newness of the material was irrelevant in my case. It definitely took a while to get going but the second half of it just got better and better and better. That song with the bass riffing thing at the start that went on for ages and had Bradford Cox doing a finger tapping riff was fucking great (that could be the one you're talking about dunno....)

Some of the new Deerhunter stuff sounded astonishing, really good. It bodes well for the new album. But yah I wish they played some more old stuff. I was standing with my twin bro' and kept telling him don't worry the encore will be all old stuff. It wasn't. Dunno about them being bored though, they seemed well into it to me. Strange lights was animal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back