dealing with metal bands (1 Viewer)

Break Neck Speed said:
The things wanted €400 for gig in richardsons a year ago. Thats all i got. maybe im not at it long enough to have encountered wankers yet!
the things are average at very best, i think they just thought that because they had a "the" at the start of they're name that entitles them to lots of money, the bastards

Thats the latest and last of it. Not gonna bother puttin em on.

''its alright,we use 1.5 k rigs,we hire them out,for us to have our sound
we
need a p.a. with volume as we have a soundman who gets us what we
need,maybe
u havent heard of putrefy etc,thats neither here nor there,i,ve played
many
many gigs and big ones for that whether be in ireland or overseas,we
dont
play gigs for nothing and without a decent p.a. at least,been let down
in
the past,i,m not saying thats the case with yourself,but we,ve arrived
at
gigs and theres been a 300 watt p.a. and we dont play without
triggers,i
book gigs myself and have been told the requirements by bands and being
in a
band who plays plenty of gigs i understand why they request it,and that
includes fees and backline,what size of p.a. do u use,could it cope
with the
sound we have,our sound is very heavy and pretty damn loud,if its over
watts it might work,anyway i,m not gonna argue about it,this is what
the
band requires for gigs,a decent p.a. at least and a fee for expenses as
it
does cost driving about and hiring transport,food and the rest,i didnt
mean
to sound like a dick with my last email but our soundman likes to have
a
p.a. he can work with or do his best with,on the desecration tour
recently
the p.a. was shite for 2 of the gigs in the venues and it showed on the
bands performances,really bad,couldnt cope with the triggers and
cabs,anyway
get back to me if your keen or not,and no offence meant with my last
email.

jason''

In fairness,that reply could've been a lot worse. As it is he's just meade it clear what the band is about. At the end of the day that's one of the main differences between metal bands and DIY hardcore/punk bands. I've turned down a lot of bands in the past because of guarantees etc. But at the end if the day if they start getting involved in that kind of carry on and you're into the DIY way of doing things it'll never work out.

I've made requests for bands I've been in before. Things like cabs etc,but If I ask for one and it has to be rented,I'll pay for it. Sometimes that's cheaper than renting a van etc.

falsemonkey said:
at the risk of sounding dumb what is a "trigger"?

A midi device 'trigger'ed* by the kick drum, so as to play a sample in place of or in addition to the acoustic kick sound.

Personally, I don't really see anything out of line with Putrefy's requests here, other than possibly the bit abouit chosing their own support bands. Afterall, if nothing else they are being straight down the line and bringing these things up in advance, not causing a scene when they get there and find out that things aren't to their liking.

Quite enjoyed them the one time I saw them, and if they do still have the same drummer, then no he isn't a dick.

* cunning, huh?

i think he sounds like a lovely fella. i like a man who Knows What He Wants and Will Stop At Nothing To Get It.

2 cool 2 dance said:
Its very tempting to go through my e-mails and dig up all that kind of stuff from over the years. Anyone else got anything like that?

ooooh if i could remember some of them word for word, i wish i could. but deleted they be, gone forever.:(

I agree, its decent of him to ask in advance but i have never heard of a band asking for a 1.5k pa. Not even some of the bigger hardcore/metalcore bands that go through Avocado booking ask for that. The way i see it if a band is truely any good they will rock without triggers or anything more than a vocal PA. If someone knows how to use there gear they will be able to adapt it to most size venues. Its just a bit of a pain cause i listen to alot of heavy shit and they would go down better than a melodic punk band. There is just such a huge difference in dealing with the different genres.

2 cool 2 dance said:
I agree, its decent of him to ask in advance but i have never heard of a band asking for a 1.5k pa.

If someone knows how to use there gear they will be able to adapt it to most size venues.

A set of turntables, for example, are hardly going to 'rock' if fed through a 300W PA, no?

Sure now, 1.5k is hardly massive, is it? A mid sized pair of tops and a mid sized pair of bins will amount to more than that. Basically all he is asking for is 'not just a vocal PA'.

MONDOBRUTALE said:
i think posting stuff like this on the internet is more out of line than anything the putrefy guy said
we're getting off the point here, we're supposed to be metaller bashing are we not?

i had my doubts about posting this alright and in no way was i trying to put down Putrefy or Jason. But people do often ask me why i dont put on more metal bands and i think the requests expain everything. And in all fairness NO ONE in galway has ever heard of Putrefy unless your from Castlebar cause the lads from Sherman m4 palyed with em before up north. Can you imagine if Runnin' Riot who are playing through a shitty vocal pa on friday asked for that??? And i think they have played a fair few gigs over the years.... i know its slightly different kind of music...but anyway.

I'd agree with mac and mondo on this one, all he did was (1) ask for a e200 guarantee, which i think (and this might be just be me) is acceptable when you're bringing a PA and two other bands, (2) ask to use their own PA, which i think is totally acceptable, maybe you're happy to play no matter how you sound, maybe they like to controll the sound so they can sound their best, neither's better than the other, it's just what you want versus what they want. Finally they asked to (3) pick the supports. Yeah, that's a bit wanky but compared to many other bands who'll ask for loads of wanky shite, 1 and 2 aren't that big a deal.

edit: In response to the above i'd say, if someone asks you, tell them, posting it up here pretty much out of context is a very different matter.

i must have missed the bit about him bringing the PA. Still cant find it...

anyway. i'm finished work so ye fight it out without me.

Also, if i was talking about an international band, would opinions be any different .....not including the 200 euro guarantee.?

Metaller bashing??Im sure your joking but how and ever.....
I know that no one is probably generalising here but for the record Wreck of the Hesperus who are very much part of the metal scene played a benefit gig that I organised for nothing and they didnt even know me from Jack beforehand so dont let this thread tarnish all the bands with the same brush.

Plus if a band decides they need certain equipment to play thats their call.If you cant supply it fair enough but dont berate them for it.I know for a fact our guitarist wouldnt play through a solid state amp.That said he always brings his own head and cab so its never an issue except when it broke in the voodoo and one of the lads in your band loaned us his(tbyhid right?) which was sound;)

The only really bad thing the guy said was about picking the support,thats bollocks.

Some bands approach playing gigs differently than others i.e. some do it for the fun and others want a career out of it.You will find that accross the board of genres not just in metal.

2 cool 2 dance said:
Can you imagine if Runnin' Riot who are playing through a shitty vocal pa on friday asked for that???

Surely the point is that no band should be playing through 'shitty' equipment provided by the promoter.* Just the same as in the way that you may have agreed to feed them - this doesn't mean that a 'shitty' bowl of gruel or stale bread and water covers your responsibilities.

If a promoter is happy to provide 'shitty' facilities at his end, then he can't complain if bands put in 'shitty' performances at their end.

* although, obviously, sometimes this is unavoidable.

brian/heathons said:
Metaller bashing??Im sure your joking but how and ever.....
I know that no one is probably generalising here but for the record Wreck of the Hesperus who are very much part of the metal scene played a benefit gig that I organised for nothing and they didnt even know me from Jack beforehand so dont let this thread tarnish all the bands with the same brush.
of course i was joking and anyone who let this thread influence thery're opinion about a whole scene is an idiot just like anyone who would let the fact that some metal band played a benefit gig once influence them is an idiot ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back