dealing with metal bands (3 Viewers)

when fantomas asked me for that sort of shit to play battys i definitely told them to fuck off, no way man, thats bullshit...
i hate when these diy bands ask for a 24x30 ft stage, it really makes me mad, thats why im definitely boycotting their gig

Break Neck Speed said:
The room is rented in richardsons. Thats 50e. There is no in house p.a. it would have to be hired and a rig that size costs 100e to hire and then you have to get an engineer to work it so thats another 80e.

Aside from the fact that they would be bringing their own engineer with them.

Break Neck Speed said:
Then you have posters and flyers which comes to to 30e. They want a garauntee of 200e so thats 480e in the red before anyone even pays in. Richardsons gigs get a crowd of 40-60 @ €5 a head which is 300e. So youve made a loss of €180.

Cut it back to basics here: if a band wants a guarantee of 200e (which I think is reasonable between 6 of them), then it makes no sense putting them on in the expectation of getting on average 250e through the door, particularly when other expenses come to 80e for a standard night.

Looks like a terrible clash of Metal and DIY promotion.

Guess your man didn't know what the craic was with the way you run things.

I'd personally never set a guarantee unless I knew that the promoter was certain to be making a tidy profit on the door cause I've been taken advantage once too often in the past. All the same, when you're on the dole and you have a kid you really have to start asking for expenses and maybe some food at the very least unless you like being broke all the time.

"da da! da da! Me hungry!!!"

"Sorry son, I had to play 2 benefit gigs this weekend for the anarchists n'all. Guess you'll have to go hungry... for the scene!"

São Paulo Punk said:
Looks like a terrible clash of Metal and DIY promotion.

Guess your man didn't know what the craic was with the way you run things.

I'd personally never set a guarantee unless I knew that the promoter was certain to be making a tidy profit on the door cause I've been taken advantage once too often in the past. All the same, when you're on the dole and you have a kid you really have to start asking for expenses and maybe some food at the very least unless you like being broke all the time.

"da da! da da! Me hungry!!!"

"Sorry son, I had to play 2 benefit gigs this weekend for the anarchists n'all. Guess you'll have to go hungry... for the scene!"
i don't think you're giving him enough credit, he was telling me the other day, "i'm real ashamed of my da for not playing that many benefit gigs"

My own experience of dealing with "metal" bands in Ireland, both financially and ideologically has been a bit of a mixed bag, but in general, "they" (those outside of the "DIY" circuit - different race - measure their craniums to check) are in a completely different sphere of reality when it comes to gigs. There is not so much of "everybody on the same level" attitude and pre-occupations over who is actually "headlining" are common. Financially I've been diddled a few times, and there seems to be a desire to emulate the trappings of commercial acts and promoters, in both language and organisation. Which is funny, because it gives some tiny bands an inflated idea of their own popularity and financial viability - hence bands asking for stupid guarantees.

The reality is that most Irish bands are more popular outside of their own country due to being perceived as slightly exotic. It's a small country and obscure grind/hc/metal bands are deluded when trying to play with a guarantee not open to negotiation. Like I give a fuck - at the end of the day...that's about 3 bands in the whole of the UK/Eire I think are worth shit anyway.

To clarify, this isn't a criticism of bands who have gurantees or demand certain PA rigs/equipment standards. Just an observation that this tends to be the cause of friction when when those who would gladly sign on the dotted line meet those who wouldn't. What DOES rile me is when bands who are obviously waiting to get signed ride on the DIY scene for a while, proclaiming the ethics and building an audience and then change to a more corporate mindset as soon as they smell the money. Community, not competition.

the strange guy said:
Metal is the fucking best.
I wonder how much Fantomas are asking for and how big their rig is. Everyone will still go to see them.

i won't be going to see fantomas. i'm bored of mike patton. and faith no more were better in the chuck mosely days. there. i said it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back