Day X (1 Viewer)

about half our staff stood out in front of the offices and owing to the nature of our work, this was quite an achievement.
there weren't any other offices out on the streets though.
anyone else mark the 10 minutes?

I could have promised to remain more still than i normally do but i'm at 6pm tonight at the US embassy tonight will hopefully be more effective. at least in terms of partcipation.

Anyone know how to make a fairly decent petrol bomb?

Originally posted by the snitch
about half our staff stood out in front of the offices and owing to the nature of our work, this was quite an achievement.
there weren't any other offices out on the streets though.
anyone else mark the 10 minutes?

a good crowd from our place did. i reckon 10 mins is a bit on the short side mind.

Originally posted by Damon_Kind
I could have promised to remain more still than i normally do but i'm at 6pm tonight at the US embassy tonight will hopefully be more effective. at least in terms of partcipation.

Anyone know how to make a fairly decent petrol bomb?

Could probably sort ya out on the last bit there (it's the Northern Irish blood in me;) ) but unfortunately I'm in work til 7. Saw a bit of Sky News in the local Spar this morning...they are Bush's bitches completely. I suppose Bush and Murdoch have one major thing in common - both are total dumbasses with a lot of power.

I think I was on my third panic attack of the day at noon
so it passed me by... the bastard fucking printers didn't take 10 minutes neither, I know because they have been ringing me every 30 seconds on the dot all day long.

who is going down to the US embassy?

Originally posted by Pantone247
I think I was on my third panic attack of the day at noon
so it passed me by... the bastard fucking printers didn't take 10 minutes neither, I know because they have been ringing me every 30 seconds on the dot all day long.

who is going down to the US embassy?

me

The day is upon us

I'll be going down to the Embassy as well.

It's not doing very much but damnit, it's something. The last few days have been well depressing. Working in an international call shop, I see lots of customers ringing Iraq and Kuwait to check up on friends and family.

I have to say I'm pretty pissed off with that shower who sit around on Kildare St. and gave the go-ahead for our continued participation in the war effort. In the last couple of months, I've pretty much lost whatever respect I had for any of the political parties.

It's definitely clear now that America can no longer act as the world's police. If Europe wasn't so ravaged after World War 2, it may have done something about curbing America's influence in the UN Security Council.

America has always had a distant relationship with the rest of the world. Almost like a Hollywood star - something filled with promise, something that will always deliver, something untouchable. Because it's only geographical neighbours are Canada and Mexico, they are isolated from the politics of feuding neighbouring countries. They have believed that they are in a position to be objective and that their foreign policies are about solving problems for countries who can't see the wood from trees.

But September 11th and the reaction showed something. America realised they are not separate from the rest of the world. They are part and parcel of everyday politics. America is acting just as any other country has done so in the past. They're no longer the objective, resource-rich cousin... they're one of us. They're as dirty as the English, the Germans, the Chinese. But it's America's reaction to such events that we have to be essentially aware of. We should have learned from Hiroshima that America does not have experience in dealing with enemies. Their reactions could be more terrifying and destructive than any Blitzkreig, any Dresden bombing... Hiroshima and Nagasaki are proof of this.

If the UN are to act as they should, America's nuclear programme should be stopped. They are the only country barbaric enough to use a nuclear weapon on a civilian population and now that they are fully enveloped in world politics, they can no longer be trusted as acting in the interests of the greater good. They're not objective. They cannot be trusted with nuclear arms - and indeed, nobody can.

And we can't continue to be scared of America.

So you get to a protest. What to do then?
How to protest yet disassociate yourself from the inane sloganeering and the SWP kneejerks that have tried to take over every protest I've been at since I was in college 12 years ago? There they go, handing out yellow flags to anyone with a free hand whether they know what it's for or not.
That self-styled bearded poet Joe getting everyone to do backing vocals while he does karaoke Edwin Starr over a megaphone has got to be the best yet.
I wish the Warlords Of Pez would take over the next protest and instigate the Mass Primal Scream like in Camber last year.

Originally posted by niallmc
Bring a whistle or drum and make a noise and dance. Ellen is bringing a whislte tomorrow Joss, join us - it'll be a SWM free zone

there's a SWP, a WSM, a SP, a SN and a SF, but the letters 'SWM' are new to me.

maybe i'll find myself SWMming through the sea of acronyms on saturday. arf.

Originally posted by old
So you get to a protest. What to do then?
How to protest yet disassociate yourself from the inane sloganeering and the SWP kneejerks that have tried to take over every protest I've been at since I was in college 12 years ago? There they go, handing out yellow flags to anyone with a free hand whether they know what it's for or not.
That self-styled bearded poet Joe getting everyone to do backing vocals while he does karaoke Edwin Starr over a megaphone has got to be the best yet.

true. but it's easy to disassociate yourself from the swp if you make your own sign or bring your own flag. make one saying 'j.o.s.s.'; everyone else'll be dead jealous that you've got your own revolutionary organisation.

Originally posted by old
I wish the Warlords Of Pez would take over the next protest and instigate the Mass Primal Scream like in Camber last year.

meself and potlatch were planning something like this for the last reclaim the streets; maybe we'll get it up and running for the next one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back