cycling & driving: THE FEAR (1 Viewer)

i was looking for something that led me to this thread but i don't remember what it was. anyway.

i've never been hit by a car (except for someone opening a car door in front of me, although technically that was me hitting the door) but i've hit a couple of pedestrians. one girl who stepped straight into the road outside cafe en seine one evening, with her face turned back to continue speaking to clionadh and oisinn or whoever. i only just clipped her arm with the handlebars, hopefully not too hard but i'd say she had a bruise. i hate when you're cycling in a city and you can see pedestrians hovering on the curb not paying attention to traffic and you're repeating 'please don't step in front of me' in your head as you cycle along. another time i was cycling through slow-moving traffic on camden street and some fella dashed out from between two cars (two moving cars) but again i only clipped him...with the pedal as i remember though i'm not sure how that could have happened without it being a total crash.

i can still remember the expressions of horrified surprise on both of their faces...i'd say they learned to look before stepping blindly into the road though.

good thread resurrection nooly.
anyway,sometimes pedestrians are dumb as all fuck,they'll look up,see you coming towards them at speed and still they step onto the road in front of you,best solution is a solid boot up the ass for them.or a punch in the face if it can be done.

i bet i was that girl nooly.

i am the single most retarded pedestrian to ever walk the dublin urban sprawl. i cotinuously jump out in front of cars, bikes, buses. once i got hit and ended up on a nice chaps windscreen (wasn't hurt too bad though despite the drama) and he jumped out of the car and just exploded into tears, and i have never felt so bad. i am trying to be more conscientious, i will apologise on behalf of all the dimwits mentioned in this thread, its part blindness, part ADHD.

blind ADHD retard is all fine as long as you weren't hanging out in cafe en seine

suspicious2.jpg

luckily no, cafe en siene i do not frequent. somehow though i feel responsible. i'll take the repremand implied by those eyebrows.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to nooly again.

The more technological gismos the general public have, the more they step out in front of oncoming vehicles. Fact.

I had one day last week where I had to shout at a texter, an i-phone poker, and an i-pod zombie on the same journey, none of them heard my bell.

And don't get me started on people who can't fathom the concept of contra-flow cycle lanes.

i once got knocked over by a pedestrian while i was stopped at the lights.

there i was, completely stationary, and this bloke walked straight into/over me, resulting in all of us falling over and me getting some nasty bruises.

his excuse: " i was just looking out for buses".

I went for a walk along the road in Wicklow a couple of years ago. A car pulled up to ask me for directions and the car behind it drove into it. The car behind couldn't go on. They damaged the engine or radiator or something. It turned out they all knew each other - tourists. When I was walking back the other way about 20 mins later they were still there. The whole thing was a bit morto.

i was in a car driving back from scotland once, we were all pretty tired so i was snoozing in the back but unfortunately the driver also had a bit of a snooze at the wheel and ran off the road. no damage though.

i was in a car driving back from scotland once, we were all pretty tired so i was snoozing in the back but unfortunately the driver also had a bit of a snooze at the wheel and ran off the road. no damage though.
yeah, had a similiar type thing happen a few years back coming home from EP on the Sunday night. Mate driving was wrecked and kept moving ever so slightly off road. We had to end up swapping drivers - no insurance like but we didn't die.

anyway,sometimes pedestrians are dumb as all fuck,they'll look up,see you coming towards them at speed and still they step onto the road in front of you,best solution is a solid boot up the ass for them.or a punch in the face if it can be done.

Fine, as long as pedestrians can put a stick through the spokes of any bicycle (a) breaking a red light when pedestrian crossing lights are green (b) going the wrong way up/down a one way street (c) cycling on the wrong side of the road or (d) cycling on the footpath or any pedestrian street.

Fair is fair.

Those new Cycle Dublin bikes should have to issue some kind of very loud warning alarm or something. The only people I've seen on them so far are suicidal lunatics, just two examples of the many I've seen:

Man in suit cycling (at speed but with no control) in a very wobbly manner on footpath while holding a briefcase in his right hand (it would have fitted in the basket)

Woman in high heels chatting on mobile phone while going through a red light with traffic oncoming from the side and pedestrians crossing the road in front of her.

Fine, as long as pedestrians can put a stick through the spokes of any bicycle (a) breaking a red light when pedestrian crossing lights are green (b) going the wrong way up/down a one way street (c) cycling on the wrong side of the road or (d) cycling on the footpath or any pedestrian street.

Fair is fair.

Those new Cycle Dublin bikes should have to issue some kind of very loud warning alarm or something. The only people I've seen on them so far are suicidal lunatics, just two examples of the many I've seen:

Man in suit cycling (at speed but with no control) in a very wobbly manner on footpath while holding a briefcase in his right hand (it would have fitted in the basket)

Woman in high heels chatting on mobile phone while going through a red light with traffic oncoming from the side and pedestrians crossing the road in front of her.

Saw 3 foreign looking lads on them on the SCR last night cycling in a train and being crazily dangerous and inconsiderate. I imagine at least one of them is deceased by now.

Yeah, so anyone here a member of the Dublin Cycling Campaign? Is it worth €20?
I realise I'm answering a 2 year old post but anyways, I'm a member. I was at one meeting and one talk thingy. Everyone at the meeting seemed fairly copped on. Work arrangements have prevented me attending more events.

You don't get anything as such for your €20. Tell a lie, I think I got a badge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back