CRYSTAL STILTS (Usa, Slumberland Recs) + New Amusement, Whelans 19th Feb '09 (1 Viewer)

skinny wolves

Website
www.skinnywolves.com
Skinny Wolves Presents:

CRYSTAL STILTS (NYC/USA, Slumberland/Woodsist)
& NEW AMUSEMENT

Thursday 19th February
Whelans (Upstairs), Wexford St, Dublin
Doors: 8pm | Adm: 15e

CRYSTAL STILTS
www.myspace.com/crystalstilts

crystal_stilts-live.jpg

Crystal Stilts started in Brooklyn in 2003 as Brad Hargett and JB Townsend. Not really trying to be a band they recorded and self-released their single 'Shattered Shine' on their Feathery Tongue label in 2004 with friend Sean Mafucci (producer of Gang Gang Dance, Psychic Ills, Kid Congo Powers etc.). In 2005-06 they continued to play in New York with bands such as the Long Blondes, 1990s and the Monochrome Set and recorded a 4 song EP. Kyle Forrester (Ladybug Transistor) joined them at gigs playing organ as well.

After a brief hiatus to record their back catalogue for a forthcoming coming album on the Slumberland label (Aislers Set/Velocity Girl, etc.) they adopted Andy Adler who played bass on Eric Copeland of Black Dice fuzzpop outfit Ninjas) to rock the bass. After opening for the Clean in November, Frankie Rose (Vivian Girls) waltzed into their life to play the stand-up drums and complete the equation. Frequently compared to the Jesus & Mary Chain and Joy Division, the Crystal Stilts sound is more like the Velvet Underground, Felt, and Blue Orchids.

Already receiving rave reviews from Pitchfork (8.3/10 - “moody-sounding fuckers who make fabulous stripped-down garage-pop”) among others, and adored by the likes of Rough Trade in the UK (“Some bands hit the nail right on the head and Crystal Stilts, within seconds of dropping the needle, are our new favourite band”), Crystal Stilts are coming to Europe for the first time in February/March 2009. There will be press and radio campaigns to support the live dates. The debut album "Alright Of Night" is out now on Slumberland Records.

Alright Of Night LP

Following on from their great EP on Woodsist and a summer of packed shows and increasing anticipation, we are very proud to bring you Alight of Night, an album that more than delivers on the promise of their early singles. So what's it like, you ask? There is a definite flavor of Velvet Underground to be had, but Crystal Stilts' spectral avant-garage also takes in such far-flung references as: the spooked 60s Texas psych of 13th Floor Elevators and Red Crayola, the gothic blues/punk howl of Gun Club, the dark, experimental DIYism of early Flying Nun/Xpressway groups Pin Group and Plagal Grind, and a post-punk minimalism that brings to mind early Rough Trade and Factory releases. There is definitely a strong pop element as well, with the buzzsaw bubblegum of early Mary Chain b-sides and Meat Whiplash coming to mind.

These are all just rough points of reference, though -- Alight of Night is far more than just the sum of the bands influences. From the twang 'n' echo of "Crystal Stilts" to the primal pop stomp of "Prismatic Room" and the lovely jangle of "Shattered Shine," the band always adds something extra and unique to the mix, whether it's a fleeting dash of harmonica, a hypnotic organ line or just an amazing guitar sound. There is a unity of purpose at work here, a special mood conjured by the sounds, production and sequence of songs that lifts this album into the realm of the classics, and reveals new twists and turns on each listen.

Like all great albums, every piece just sits in exactly the right place, each song builds on the last and by the end you couldn't imagine changing anything about it at all. Eerily familiar but totally now, Alight of Night is a brilliantly haunting slice of rock primitivism.

MP3s

PRESS

NEW AMUSEMENT
http://www.myspace.com/newamusement

"This Hugely promising new young Dublin band have been together less than a year but have already shared stages with such indie heavyweights as Nada Surf , Sons And Daughters and Young Galaxy. In the process going from a closely guarded secret to a word of mouth sensation. Combining passionate hook-filled songs with a charmingly insistent energy, this is a band full of heart and honest emotion, who are already drawing comparisons to The National, The Walkmen and Les Savy Fav. These four school friends are the most exciting young band to emerge from the Dublin underground in years, and with the word of mouth and blogger buzz building, they won’t be a best kept secret for much longer. "

I am. It's not a long list. Anyone could do it really. Anyone keeping track of the amount of fucking shit bands there are WITHOUT crystal in their name? Wow.

I'm still debating as to whether to go to this or not, can you get their album over here?

I've not checked that many places but Golden Discs in Artane Castle doesn't have it, neither does the Tesco.

I'm still debating as to whether to go to this or not, can you get their album over here?

I've not checked that many places but Golden Discs in Artane Castle doesn't have it, neither does the Tesco.

did you try Dolphin discs?

SinKing is a great track. Actually there's not a track off Alight of Night that I don't like. I wish I could go to this but I've have a ticket for something else that night. Someone report back and tell me what I missed. :(

I'm quite surprised at how much I fkin love this band.
Crystal Stilts I salute you. I'm going to bag your album after marching in town (public servant) this Saturday.

Would love to go to gig but have kideen at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back