CRYSTAL STILTS (Usa, Slumberland Recs) + New Amusement, Whelans 19th Feb '09 (1 Viewer)

can't BELIEVE they didn't mention anything about the word crystal being in their name

Bands with 25 minute sets (I might be exaggerating the brevity) don't usually do an encore.

I'm enjoying the Crystal Stilts album a lot, but this was a boring gig. On the strength of it, I think they're a band that lots of people could kinda like, but I don't know how anybody could love them.
They're perfect for mixes.

I'm enjoying the Crystal Stilts album a lot, but this was a boring gig.

I liked about 2 songs. It was a very disjointed gig. The crowd never got into it and they just seemed real pissed off themselves (maybe) because of the technical problems they had.

I heard enough to make me want to check them out more, but this was not a good gig.

The Digital PA upstairs in Whelans crashed before Stilts were about to play. As far as i know, all settings seemed to have been lost from their soundcheck. The band were just getting on stage to plug in there gear, planning to come off stage and come back on to play in 10 minutes or so. Because the PA kept having to be rebooted to try get it working again, there was no backing music playing through the pa, so people i guess thought that Stilts were coming on stage to play their set. There was not much the band could do about the PA not working the way it was in soundcheck for them. When they realised this, they just got on with and played their set as best they could, i think a statement of "studied nonchalance" is a bit far off the mark. Its more like the look of 4 nervous people being put in the deep end with over 100 people prematurely staring at them expecting a set, while trying to figure out whats going on and how to deal with it as best they could.

And if they didn't give a shit about playing for the people that showed up to see them, i doubt they would have done an encore.

But anyways, it was a good night, and i'm sure they'll be back again to play a bigger space.

Next up is:

GRAVE2.jpg

and...

SHOOTING SPIRES (Usa, BJ from Parts & Labor solo project)
Somadrone
Children Under Hoof

Thursday 5th March
Transformer, Dublin

More info : http://www.skinnywolves.com/shooting-spires.htm

Garbage, complete shit. The whole studied nonchalance only works if the gig goes well, if there's problems like there was last night that image just makes it look like you don't give a shit about playing for the people that showed up to see you.

WOW. You're deadly when you dislike gigs

.....with over 100 people prematurely staring at them expecting a set, while trying to figure out whats going on and how to deal with it as best they could.

Are you serious? Prematurely? It didn't get going until about 10:20 and I don't really think its fair on the more than 100 people who had paid in expecting a gig, to somehow suggest that the poor quality of the gig was somehow our fault.

I'm sorry they had the problems they did. Maybe they'll learn from it and put a contingency plan in place for the next time some equipment goes tits up.

Are you serious? Prematurely? It didn't get going until about 10:20 and I don't really think its fair on the more than 100 people who had paid in expecting a gig, to somehow suggest that the poor quality of the gig was somehow our fault.

As i said the band came on to set up their gear, plug in, etc, not to play their set...

No one's blaming anyone...

I'm sorry they had the problems they did. Maybe they'll learn from it and put a contingency plan in place for the next time some equipment goes tits up.

hes not suggesting iys the crowds fault and a contigincy plan ..... like what ?
pull out some solder irons ?
do a few acapellas?
with no reverb?
which the band is based on

..... like what ?

I dunno. But if people pay in expecting a gig, I don't think its unreasonable for them to expect that they'll actually get a gig. Either that or just cancel it altogether.

Anyway, I didn't mind so much. The first part was uncomfortable to watch at times. The soundman seemed in an impossible situation. Then they started that first song and pulled up about a minute in. It picked up some momentum about halfway through, but not for long enough for the crowd to ever get going.

And why upstairs in whelans? Wasn't it obvious enough that a large enough crowd would want to be at this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back