Croatia? (1 Viewer)

I is just resurrecting this thread to ax if anyone has any more Helpful Info on Croatia, as I am heading that way on Friday. Cheers.

kirstie said:
Dubrovnik for a week.
hmm, didnt stick around dubrovnik too long, Im a bit weary of places that beautiful, that dont seem to have any real people living in it. Its amazingly beautiful, but is over-priced and v touristy. theres a cool bar near the main square that has a jazz band playing outside it, apart from that its mostly quiet bars and cafes (apart from irish pub, eeek!), well as far as I could see. They all close pretty early too. defo check out trsteno, its this tiny village about 20mins north of Dubrovnik with a massive tree (not so great) and an arboretum (which is amazing, right on the sea with old roman (?) ruins on the grounds) you can walk down through it and you come out onto this tiny little harbour. Really peaceful.

As I ssaid though I didnt spend much time in Dubrovnik, pretty much started heading up the coast to split straight away. Theres a quiet island off dubrov which is apparantly beautiful, and some part of the walls that people jump off into the sea.

Oh and make sure you defo know what time the bus to the airport is, lest you miss your flight like us imbeciles. god damned lying information office. :mad:

thankin you. Is the island cavtat by any chance? I think we're going to do a bit o going elsewhere, but we've a hotel booked in Dubrovnik for a week so we'll definitely be basing ourselves there mostly. What's the verdict on split then?

kirstie said:
thankin you. Is the island cavtat by any chance? I think we're going to do a bit o going elsewhere, but we've a hotel booked in Dubrovnik for a week so we'll definitely be basing ourselves there mostly. What's the verdict on split then?
personally it was my favourite city we were in, its a 'real' city if ye get me. theres an amazing roman ruin that the main part of the city is housed in, that dates back to 1 BC or something, and was continuously built upon by successive cultures. some really nice bars around the place too, one in particular beside a square (with a load of strange young fellas spinning books on their fingers, selling something but i couldnt work out what) off the main palace area that is in a courtyard type place full of seats. The markets there are cool aswell, lots of smelly cheeses, and cheap fruit n olives n ting.

Also theres a big tower in the centre that you can climb up, on which I discovered I have vertigo so I only made it half way up before turning into a gibbering mess. The bus journey up from dubrovnik is great aswell (even though the air conditioning broke) that coastline is incredible! It stops breifly in Bosnia too, and you can stock up on all manner of cheap ass stuff. from split theres a load of ferries to the islands (theres more off split than dubrovnik) althogh I think there is ferries from dubrovnik to the main ones. Hvar island is beautiful, old venetian type architecture, and you can rent boats and buzz around the smaller islands off Hvar. Vis is meant to be really nice, didnt make it myself. If you make it up to Zadar dont go to Pag island, its a glorified pumice stone. I doubt you'll be up there though. Krka national park is amazing too, loads of massive waterfalls one of which you're allowed go swimming beside. You have to get a bus from sibenik which is a good way up the coast. Rent a car if you can.

Ok Ill stop there before I start telling you the finer details of operating a toilet in Croatia. Im sure you'll figure it out :)

When we rented a boat in croatia for two weeks to go sailing from island to island, we were informed that the name of our boat would be 'Erotica' and we were delighted to see that when we arrived, it was so named.
Croatia = my best holiday for many years.

kirstie said:
Cavtat is a small town about 30 mins from Dubrovnik. Easily accessible by water-taxi but beware of storms. Car taxis are crazy there - old cars ; fast speeds etc. We stayed in Hotel Croatia in Cavtat

Our flight over was diverted to Split because of an overtime payment dispute with the cabin crew. We were stuck there for 3 hours and eventually flew onto Dubrovnik - took about 20 mins.

There's a bookshop in Dubrovnik with a great selection of Agatha Christie books. Not the most up to date edition but the mid-1990s edition which looks a lot nicer on the bookshelf.

Croatian police smoke a lot and don't have good English. Filing a police report in respect of my lost 9 day old wedding ring was not easy.:eek:

The Thorn Tree board on Lonelyplanet.com has some good info on this region..travelogues etc....
Also Virtualtourist.com is pretty good for reading up on different travel locations.

I`d love to be goin on holidays now:( ...blasted work...:(

I was in Dubrovnik a coupla weeks ago. really enjoyed it. Very safe, though touristy (still relatively unspolit though). Two beers and two huge pizzas for less than 20 euro. Grilled fish is lovley. Walk the walls and dive from the rocks outside the city (as i did). Don't bother with day trips to Mjet - I had wasps swarmign all over my squid risotto (salty monkey brains to you and me).

Dubrovnik is lovely for couples/retireds, but probably boring for hip people or those looking to get sex on them.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Dubrovnik is lovely for couples/retireds, but probably boring for hip people or those looking to get sex on them.
.....this is where the coastal resorts of Montenegro come into there own(so i`ve heard).

Actually Dubrovnik is great for "hip" people too(2/3 days).
Enjoy a Cocktail or 6 in the Hemingway by the way!

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Dubrovnik is lovely for couples/retireds, .
I am so glad I appear to be lumped into the same category as retired people. Deadly. We should have just booked a cruise instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back