creation museum (1 Viewer)

Haven't read this whole thread so this might have come up, but probably not. As a borderline clueless person wrt the area of astrophysics, how does the principle of falsifiability apply? That is to say, whil I can grasp the concepts involved in the thought of Einstein or Hawking in relation to black holes or whatever, how are these theories to be tested?
The idea is that a theory should be consistent with everything that has been observed so far, and make predictions for stuff that hasn't been observed ... so general relativity explained some stuff that wasn't accounted for by classical physics (like some quirks in the orbit of Mercury, if my increasingly faint memory of college is correct) and also made predictions about other stuff, like light travelling from the sun to earth being affected by the curvature of space ... they had to wait for a solar eclipse to measure that one, then they measured it and it was consistent with the theory - if it hadn't been relativity would have been sunk (or would have needed to be drastically modified)

Likewise for the big bang, the idea came about when people were trying to explain why all galaxies in the universe appeared to be moving away from us, and then they worked out some stuff, came up with the big bang and realised if the big bang happened then there would have to be a certain level of background radiation observable from the big bang itself ... so they had a look and lo and behold there was

The idea is that a theory should be consistent with everything that has been observed so far, and make predictions for stuff that hasn't been observed ... so general relativity explained some stuff that wasn't accounted for by classical physics (like some quirks in the orbit of Mercury, if my increasingly faint memory of college is correct) and also made predictions about other stuff, like light travelling from the sun to earth being affected by the curvature of space ... they had to wait for a solar eclipse to measure that one, then they measured it and it was consistent with the theory - if it hadn't been relativity would have been sunk (or would have needed to be drastically modified)

Likewise for the big bang, the idea came about when people were trying to explain why all galaxies in the universe appeared to be moving away from us, and then they worked out some stuff, came up with the big bang and realised if the big bang happened then there would have to be a certain level of background radiation observable from the big bang itself ... so they had a look and lo and behold there was

Comprende,
Leaves a lot of scope for a Kuhnian type gestalt shift. I think my trouble lies in watching d'boffins talk so casually about the ramifications of falling over an event horizon, like its quite a prosaic occurence.

A closed mind is a terrible thing people. Accusing other people of prejudices when you clearly have some of your own is such a cliche.
"Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out." (Richard Feynman)

I'm all in favour of science. I think science has produced some excellent ideas.
this has to be the understatement of the century. I'm sure science appreciates your endorsement.

But we should never take these ideas as truth. We need to constantly re-evaluate them based on the evidence.
THIS IS WHAT SCIENCE DOES........ and ID consistently fails.

If intelligent design is absolute rubbish then discussing it in science class should expose it as absolute rubbish pretty quickly no? Instead of censoring it you allow its weak arguments to be shown to have no foundation?

I dunno what wonderfully expressive and debate-filled educational facilites you attended, but in my school if the science teacher said grass was blue and writing that down in a test would get me more points, I would have done it. This should be part of a civics class or something similar.

this has to be the understatement of the century. I'm sure science appreciates your endorsement.

I was just responding to someone who had suggested that I rejected the ideas of science. I wanted to get across that that couldn't be further from the truth.

THIS IS WHAT SCIENCE DOES

Which was my point.

facinating- i never knew that

eat.jpg

I dunno what wonderfully expressive and debate-filled educational facilites you attended, but in my school if the science teacher said grass was blue and writing that down in a test would get me more points, I would have done it.

Yeah, the way Science is taught is deadly.

Did Jack Tenrec ever ride her or was it just a lot of awkward flirting? It probably never came up

also, the page on what arguments NOT to use in favour of creationism is fascinating , saying not to use arguments because they're not scientifically sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back