Cream pie (1 Viewer)

worm

Website
Visit site
They're taking this rather seriously, aren't they?

Second chance for cream pie protester

THE woman who hit the Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern with a cream pie in Sligo last April was given a second chance yesterday when a judge ordered a community service report in lieu of jail.

But Judge Oliver McGuinnness described Bairbre Flood's action as a premeditated attack on democracy, most appropriately punishable by jail.

Afterwards, an unrepentant Ms Flood (27) said the actions of corrupt politicians were the real attack on democracy.

The mother of two, from Templehouse, Ballymote, was before Sligo District Court for the public order offence which occurred during a pre-election visit by the Taoiseach to Sligo on April 12.

Mr Ahern was about to open election offices at around 6pm when the woman emerged from the crowd and hit him in the face with a cream pie.

The university graduate, originally from Athboy, Co Meath, ran off but was caught by gardai within yards.

Yesterday, her solicitor Gerry McGovern assured Judge McGuinness that while his client felt she had a statement to make, it was unintentional, not directed at any party or party leader in particular, and not something she would do again.

However, the judge insisted the incident was not a run-of-the-mill public order offence. It was a well organised, premeditated attack on democracy and society and "a calculated effort to insult, demean and embarrass in the full glare of all the publicity attendant on an occasion like this.

"In my view the appropriate punishment and the message this court would have to send out to anyone is jail."

But he said he was prepared to give her the alternative of community service and "a second chance to put back something into society which, in my view, her actions on the day demeaned."

He remanded Ms Flood on continuing bail to December 19 for a community service report.

Originally posted by worm
However, the judge insisted the incident was not a run-of-the-mill public order offence. It was a well organised, premeditated attack on democracy and society and "a calculated effort to insult, demean and embarrass in the full glare of all the publicity attendant on an occasion like this.

AAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH
Now I am enraged :mad:
Bertie Ahearne I hope I meet you someday

This is ridiculous. But given the propensity toward litigation in this country, i wouldn't be suprised if someone started to lobby on behalf of the confection.

Give the pie a chance! i't can't have been happy to be smeared on the face of Bertie. Imagine the psychological damage.

Sorry. i was just looking for somethinng to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back