Cover Version Challenge? (1 Viewer)

pissypants

Howayeh Home recording heads.

How about we get constructive and come up with some sort of cover-version challenge - just like some of the other threads have for Photography etc. where people produce work based around a theme?

Each month we could nominate an artist / theme , and anyone who wants to can submit an mp3 of a cover of any a relevant song done in any style / arrangement they wish. Probably the more different than the original the better. A link to the final mp3 can be posted just like the pod-cast thread. Just for fun - this is not a competition.

You must record the audio yourself, but it does not have to be you playing / singing. (And yes you can use samples from other sources)

Perhaps anyone who submits a song can get a chance to debate which artist / theme will go forward for the following month?

No other rules required I think, just a chosen artist and a time period. No restriction on type of instrumentation, recording methods, instruments used, number of "tracks" used etc. No reason why more than one person couldn't submit a work based on the same song.

We could start with Talking Heads - finishing up with the next artist / theme being chosen on the 1st of next month.

Yes / No?
Any thoughts?
Is there even enough of us here that this would be worthwhile?

I am prepared for this thread to sink without trace and we will never speak of it again.

The one a month thing is a bit much.
Just pop one up whenever you've done one no matter who wrote the original.
Its not a hoot night.

I dont mind popping up a demo or two of a cover whenever I've done one.

Lindbergh, Baby! are going to f*ck with all your perceptions. You thought Talking Heads had good songs? You won't think they're good when you hear our covers. That's a promise.

The one a month thing is a bit much..
Just pop one up whenever you've done one no matter who wrote the original.
Its not a hoot night.

Wow, way to harsh the buzz already Ian.
I think a month is a reasonale time to get one cover version together.

You've mentioned the Hoot night. I've played a few of those, and it's never taken more than a few hours to get a song together. I'm not saying that will be the case with this thing - just that a month seems like a perfectly reasonable amount of time.

The idea of picking a definite artist / theme is to give the whole thing a structure for people to work in, and a finishing date something to aim for. I know having both of these things really help to stop me from being lazy, and get off my fat stupid hole and get things done.

I also think it would be really great to hear a number of songs all from the same artist, but in different styles.

A random cover version thread is a perfectly valid idea, but it's not what I had in mind when posting this.

Sorry, didnt mean to be a buzzwrecker.
Im in a bad mood... Must have come across through the magic of the internet. My apologies.

I always found the hoot nights to be hard work buh.

I'll get on to Captain A about doing something, if he doesn't see this first that is. Sounds great.

Here, I think this is a great idea. love Talking Heads and know exactly what song I'd pick. But...
How's about working backwards, alphabetically, starting with Zappa? Or ZZ Top.
After all, to do a cover, is to undo something thats already been done. Seems logical to start at 'Z', or '3/4/08'.
Great idea, though, Pissypants!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back