courses in the gallery of photography (1 Viewer)

hmmm....like what bad stuff have you heard? ive never heard anything you see, so im keen to find out as much as poss good and bad...

i hear good things of two people and am booked in for a course starting sat. so will let you know. i'm doing the digital one,cause they show ya how to get the most out of your equipment (including laptop post processing)

sorry i just re-read my post and saw how suitably vague it was...heard that the developing part was poorly taught and just generally wasnt up to much..that said i heard it from someone who has gone on to study photography and was mad into developing so he may have been somewhat biased..

oh yeah sarah, please let me know how it goes!
muffin, that's cool, im gonna look into it a bit more - they seem to offer a few different courses so ill get into doing some research this week :)

oh yeah sarah, please let me know how it goes!
muffin, that's cool, im gonna look into it a bit more - they seem to offer a few different courses so ill get into doing some research this week :)

girlfriend did the basic black and white one; she really enjoyed it. its designed as an introduction, so the idea would be that you'd subsequently muck about with it yourself I guess.

have gone to the first one of these so far so, good covered some basic stuff like aperture/shutter speed etc. But has already got me thinking about
photos more actively.

Went out and got adobe elements to start getting dug into post processing, and to get as much as possible out of the class. He's really tearing example photographs apart. terrified of having to show off my own stuff-> started hating pretty much everything I've shot.

this I see as a good way to get very very motivated to shoot, and think a little more carefully about shots.
it's very much tailored to everyones needs, so a few people like myself know the basics-others are completely in new territory.
we are supposed to come back with concrete examples of what we want to know and what we want to get better at.

So seems like it's up to each individual how much or little they want to do.
so far so good.

we'll be getting and assignment that sounds interesting next week. shall update if anyone is interested to know more.

anyone ever attended one of these? i'm thinking of doing one. maybe the black and white/developing one. it says you need an SLR though - dayum.

I did this. When I did it, I thought it was a general intro to photography. It wasn't .. it was all darkroom b&w stuff. This wasn't what I wanted. But as it turned out, I really enjoyed it. It's hands-on stuff .. taking you through using the enlarger and so on. I thought it was good.

it says you need an SLR though - dayum.

An ordinary 35 mil film SLR?
I dunno what they are flogging them for over there at the moment, but they are practically giving them away over here at the moment.
Digital SLRs, not so much.

.... in fact, I think my old man has a couple of film SLR bodies hanging around that he no longer uses.
If you want a Canon EOS 5 (I think) body, or some class of a Pentax, give me a shout and I will ask him if he wants to off load them.
He is moving to an apartment. I think he is in an offloading crap mood.

He bought a digital version of the camera, so he wont give you any lens I presume. Just the body...

When I did the course the only thing you needed the SLR camera for was to go and shoot a roll of 35mm B&W film which you then brought in the following week to process ... you then used the negs for learning about developing. You could just borrow one from somebody to shoot the roll of film ...

have gone to the first one of these so far so, good covered some basic stuff like aperture/shutter speed etc. But has already got me thinking about
photos more actively.

Went out and got adobe elements to start getting dug into post processing, and to get as much as possible out of the class. He's really tearing example photographs apart. terrified of having to show off my own stuff-> started hating pretty much everything I've shot.

this I see as a good way to get very very motivated to shoot, and think a little more carefully about shots.
it's very much tailored to everyones needs, so a few people like myself know the basics-others are completely in new territory.
we are supposed to come back with concrete examples of what we want to know and what we want to get better at.

So seems like it's up to each individual how much or little they want to do.
so far so good.

we'll be getting and assignment that sounds interesting next week. shall update if anyone is interested to know more.

deadly, that sounds quite interesting actually! and nice to know you have stuff to work on for it in the interim. nice update :)

girlfriend did the basic black and white one; she really enjoyed it. its designed as an introduction, so the idea would be that you'd subsequently muck about with it yourself I guess.

cool, it's something i'd definitely be into trying out.

I did this. When I did it, I thought it was a general intro to photography. It wasn't .. it was all darkroom b&w stuff. This wasn't what I wanted. But as it turned out, I really enjoyed it. It's hands-on stuff .. taking you through using the enlarger and so on. I thought it was good.

again, good to hear. (glad im hearing more positive stuff now!) im definitely keen to be more 'hands on' as you say - right now i feel a little detached from teh whole process; i take pics then i upload them. it's a bit too sterile, if you know what i mean.

An ordinary 35 mil film SLR?
I dunno what they are flogging them for over there at the moment, but they are practically giving them away over here at the moment.
Digital SLRs, not so much.

.... in fact, I think my old man has a couple of film SLR bodies hanging around that he no longer uses.
If you want a Canon EOS 5 (I think) body, or some class of a Pentax, give me a shout and I will ask him if he wants to off load them.
He is moving to an apartment. I think he is in an offloading crap mood.

He bought a digital version of the camera, so he wont give you any lens I presume. Just the body...

cooooool. i might actually give you a PM to find out a bit more - after i finish the pizza i just cooked :p

When I did the course the only thing you needed the SLR camera for was to go and shoot a roll of 35mm B&W film which you then brought in the following week to process ... you then used the negs for learning about developing. You could just borrow one from somebody to shoot the roll of film ...

moose kindly offered me a lend of an slr he has knocking around too so just to get started that could be an option.

nice one people, good feedback all round :)

I done the intro to B&W about 2 years back. Really enjoyed it. Very hands on and did learn alot. Although, it did show me how time consuming the whole process really is...and, alas, i havent been back to develop anything since. Gay. Must get up off my arse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back