Courses, Dole(Benefits) and Working? (1 Viewer)

Crowbar0

i'm thinking of doing a course in the near future, during which I would recieve benefits;

"If you are accepted for training, a weekly training grant and travel allowance will be paid to you throughout your course. Rates are linked to the social welfare rates so that your benefits are maintained during training. If you are 17 year old you receive a grant of €84.40 weekly. If you are over 18, you receive €165.80 weekly or the equivalent to your entitlement on social welfare."

Does this mean I'll recieve €165.80 a week, as well as Dole, or is that Dole?

Also, can you work part-time during the course, as I couldnt live on €165 a week for 16 weeks.

Anybody done one of these things? It's a FAS related course, I think, but through Failte Ireland.

I'm working full time at the moment, but would be leaving in order to do this course, in a completley unrelated area.

i'm thinking of doing a course in the near future, during which I would recieve benefits;

"If you are accepted for training, a weekly training grant and travel allowance will be paid to you throughout your course. Rates are linked to the social welfare rates so that your benefits are maintained during training. If you are 17 year old you receive a grant of €84.40 weekly. If you are over 18, you receive €165.80 weekly or the equivalent to your entitlement on social welfare."

Also, can you work part-time during the course, as I couldnt live on €165 a week for 16 weeks.

Anybody done one of these things? It's a FAS related course, I think, but through Failte Ireland.

I'm working full time at the moment, but would be leaving in order to do this course, in a completley unrelated area.

You receive just the one payment which is the same amount as you would receive if you were on the dole. Dunno about your other questions.

Sounds like a FAS Community Employment scheme. The travel allowance is about €30 or so a week on top of your payment that is the equivalent of the dole. CE schemes are for absolute winners because you can work part time while getting trained up/work-experience. You're also entitled to time off for extra training, €500's worth of which FAS would pay for. So, if you're working in a Community setting, you could do some drugs training or some shit, and they'd pay for it and give you time off. ALSO, you should be entitled to study/training leave etc. When I was on a CE scheme, nobody else was availing of their extra training allowance (€500) and so I got all theirs and ended up getting half my masters paid for.

Oh, on reading back over your post, if it's only for 16 weeks it may not be a CE scheme so none of the above may be true.

Haha. No, it's not a CE scheme, it's a Culinary Skills Chef course.

My main question is really about working while you're claiming the dole.

I know it's not allowed as per normal, but when you're doing a FAS course or similiar is the rule different, as you're 'returning to work' anyway after the course?

So long as you don't miss any of the course, there shouldn't be a problem. It's not the labour. You won't be claiming the dole. You'll be receiving an equivalent payment in rate only. That's the Supplementary Welfare Allowance rate which is what they've calculated is the minimum you need to live on in Oireland.

And it's not as if they'd notice within the 16 weeks anyway.

Thanks for the info Goff, you seem to be the expert on this shit. :)

One more thing I'm trying to figure out, if you dont mind?

If I quit my full-time job, I wouldnt be entitled to Benefit for 9 weeks (from what I can gather?) because I left voluntarily.

So if I leave and want to do the course, will the 9 weeks apply to recieving the course benefit also? i.e. do I have to quit and be unemployed for 9 weeks before I can start the course?

Thanks for the info Goff, you seem to be the expert on this shit. :)

One more thing I'm trying to figure out, if you dont mind?

If I quit my full-time job, I wouldnt be entitled to Benefit for 9 weeks (from what I can gather?) because I left voluntarily.

So if I leave and want to do the course, will the 9 weeks apply to recieving the course benefit also? i.e. do I have to quit and be unemployed for 9 weeks before I can start the course?

As far as I know, you're supposed to be on the Live Register. But, depending on the course co-ordinator, they may make allowances. But that's up to them. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Probably best to err on the side of caution.

If you're disallowed, appeal the decision anyway, no matter the reason. You'd be surprised. And tell them you had a) too far to travel each morning, b) trouble at work with people giving you hassle 'cos they got it in their heads they didn't like you for some perceived sleight, c) felt it was the honourable option as you couldn't so it. Basically, make some shit up. But be convincing. You'll probably be disallowed anyway, but chance your arm. Don't just say you left 'cos you didn't like it.

But don't give in without a fight. The Appeals Office is on the side of the punter. And they're in a bit of a barney at the moment because of the amount of shit decisions are being sent up to them that should never have been disallowed.

I don't think you need to be unemployed.

I am thinking about doing one of those courses but packing the job in is stopping me.

€165 less rent is not alot.
Then again food is provided on these courses.

I would not mind giving it a go.

I rang them & they said they did not do part time or weekend courses.

I would say you'd get a medical card.

They have chef, bar and restaurant courses.

Natural cooking ability would rule me out of the chef one.
Long hours would sort of rule me out of the bar one.
So I am left with the restaurant one - my inability to take orders might be a disadvantage here.

Course Length is very long for those currently working.

I would say that they are probably great courses to get into the sector.

you'll get rent allowance. it should be all your rent minus €12 a week. and your dole will be €185, your info is a year out of date. if you can find a way to leave your job unvoluntarily (sound boss who'll help you make up a story/get yourself fired), you can go straight on the dole, you won't have any problems either as you've probably been working long enough to get onto benefit (aka hassle-free dole based on the tax credits you've paid). then i'd imagine you could start your course pretty sharpish. worst case scenario, as goff said, make up a big lie/sob story about having to leave your job (i'd imagine something serious but awkward like simply mouthing the words sexual harassment could be a winner).

however if you wanna work while on the course, you're gonna totally have to do it off the books and on the sketch.

good luck.

yeah, I called into them today to find out. You have to be unemployed to do the course, but not for any specific length of time. So you can apply for the course while still working, and quit your job if you get a place on the course.

Then they send you forms, one of which you have to get stamped by the local welfare office to state that your not claiming the dole. Then when you start the course you get the €185 a week plus travel etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back