Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (4 Viewers)

My Dad is living in rural Thailand and said outside the village is getting a bit tense. They’re blaming Europeans on bringing it in to the country and it might start to get nasty soon.

I e-mailed my boss this morning to say I was one of the few people in the office yesterday evening when Boris Johnson was speaking so ended up taking my stuff home in anticipation of a formal moving to working from home where possible notice which came this morning. Just got an arsey e-mail back saying he'd much rather I'd come in and helped discuss how the team would work moving forward - "we shall just have to do so without you". LOL.

A bit of fucking leadership in the form of chatting to the team in a group at some stage over the last few days wouldn't have gone amiss rather than just parotting the line of the management board that it is business as usual. Also we were one of the last teams in the whole place where everyone was coming in - most others had gone where possible on the advice of their management!

Amazing how "the market" solves all problems, until it doesn't.

The Italian government is to re-nationalise former national carrier Alitalia so it can make sure Italian nationals are never again left stranded overseas in a crisis.

It is part of a €25bn response plan, AFP has reported. "At a time like this, a flag carrier gives the government more leeway. We all saw the difficulties our compatriots faced in returning to Italy. Our decision stems from this," said Italy's Deputy economy minister Laura Castelli.

Transport Minister Paola De Micheli said a “national carrier was strategic for our country” at a time of crisis”.

Bizarre just how much better and more informative the Irish Govt is being compared to the UK.

I suppose this underlines how the "all politicians are the same" argument is wrong.

Ireland mightn't have the finest group of individuals on the planet running the shop, but on the whole they are doing more or less what they believe is best, and being more or less truthful about most things.

Boris and Co are a manipulative gang of liars and PR goons at their core. Public good and truth aren't priorities, their priorities are (as always): what information do we disseminate to further our agenda.

At some point the public knows they are being manipulated, and learn to live in this post truth environment. The position in the US is even more extreme, yhe assumption here is that everything, every single statement made by anybody affiliated to the government, is quite likely untrue. Once you turn that corner I'm not sure how you turn back.

I suppose this underlines how the "all politicians are the same" argument is wrong.

Ireland mightn't have the finest group of individuals on the planet running the shop, but on the whole they are doing more or less what they believe is best, and being more or less truthful about most things.

Boris and Co are a manipulative gang of liars and PR goons at their core. Public good and truth aren't priorities, their priorities are (as always): what information do we disseminate to further our agenda.

At some point the public knows they are being manipulated, and learn to live in this post truth environment. The position in the US is even more extreme, yhe assumption here is that everything, every single statement made by anybody affiliated to the government, is quite likely untrue. Once you turn that corner I'm not sure how you turn back.
I get that but the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Scientific Adviser up there with him reiterating the same advice. Are these guys PR goons as well?

Allot of countries were not prepared for this and have taken bad action so the UK is not alone. The Netherlands looks dodgy and Switzerland etc. It's probably what is happening in Italy that has been a big warning but I could well imagine others taking a relaxed attitude otherwise even China played it down at the start ditto with Trump not want to know but it's getting impossible to ignore at this point.

I get that but the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Scientific Adviser up there with him reiterating the same advice. Are these guys PR goons as well?

No, those guys are legit. But specific groups of experts are selected to propagate and provide plausibility to whatever message the PR guys have deemed appropriate. When the UK decided that things need to just press on, and they were going to essentially ignore the virus, the appropriate people were wheeled out to back that up. Now they've changed tack, and look like they're saying people should lower contact with others.

It's the same here, and sometimes people who know what they're talking about get very close to telling the public they are being whipped into line, and instructed what to say.

Allot of countries were not prepared for this and have taken bad action so the UK is not alone. The Netherlands looks dodgy and Switzerland etc. It's probably what is happening in Italy that has been a big warning but I could well imagine others taking a relaxed attitude otherwise even China played it down at the start ditto with Trump not want to know but it's getting impossible to ignore at this point.

I suppose my point here isn't that... certain countries got it right or wrong. It's genuinely hard to know what right or wrong is.

My point is that if you've been lying and manipulating the public always, then at some point people will notice, an at that point they will move into a different mindset. The US and the UK is run along these lines. Old habits die hard, these guys will do what they are good at.

Ireland is much less so.

Above chris_d said there was a difference between the UK and Ireland in terms of how information has been shared. From what I can see I think that's true.

I suppose my point here isn't that... certain countries got it right or wrong. It's genuinely hard to know what right or wrong is.

My point is that if you've been lying and manipulating the public always, then at some point people will notice, an at that point they will move into a different mindset. The US and the UK is run along these lines. Old habits die hard, these guys will do what they are good at.

Ireland is much less so.

Above chris_d said there was a difference between the UK and Ireland in terms of how information has been shared. From what I can see I think that's true.

Ah yeah of course and it happens all the time that politicans have to come out and double back on whatever it is they have said and it's allot more serious in this instance.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back