Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (17 Viewers)

So it's only that people don't trust the government to do IT properly?
Yes.

I mean, the implications behind that yes are massive with deep philosophical, economic, and existential questions about the ordering of society, the minds, and basically the very fabric of existence for millions of people in Ireland, but if we're being glib and reductive then yes, this is an IT issue. Turn it off and turn it on and try again.

Last edited:
24 hours into Pfizer #1 and I'm fine so far. Bit dopey yesterday but I think that is just my normal setting. Drinking lots of water and taking paracetamol round the clock.

Do you trust the government to do IT properly?
No. The whole way state IT projects are run - managed by (often non-technical) civil servants and implemented by profit-maximising external contracting firms - is just bad IMO. Basically a workaround for civil servant salary bands not being flexible enough that ends up costing the state probably double what it'd cost if they ran tech projects in-house, and with worse outcomes.

Not trusting the govt to do IT properly is a fair enough reason to object to a citizen's database if that's all there is to it, but it feels like it isn't all there is to it ...

the implications ... are massive with deep philosophical, economic, and existential questions about the ordering of society, the minds, and basically the very fabric of existence for millions of people in Ireland
This is the bit I don't get. I honestly don't see how having a database of citizens (assuming it's properly secured and private etc etc) has implications about the very fabric of existence for millions of people. Is there something I'm missing?

I just work on the assumption that no database involving “private” information is ever private or limited to the original (good or not) intention.

This doesn’t just apply to government projects.

Like ok you can say the govt underfunds the IT stuff and the data is volatile. that is true.
Also you can point out that govt are hard to trust because they half do things, lie, bluster through blatant errors and so forth because the last thing they will do, usually under days of national pressure is walk off the job for the moral high ground to be preserved.
In parallell to that you have to accept that every IT person who has worked for the govt could be looked at in the same way. Every one of them could have said 'this is substandard, I can't in good faith turn up for work and proceed with this as I would be lying to the residents of Ireland to preserve my own skin and I cannot countenance such betrayal, me being very different to the political sphere and also watching lots of downtown abeey style shows' but did any of them? Or did they just bluster on for decades rather than walk off the job for the moral high ground to be preserved.

Awks convo anyone?

Anywhoo centralised data in a society is not a new concept, nor are attacks on data.

In parallell to that you have to accept that every IT person who has worked for the govt could be looked at in the same way. Every one of them could have said 'this is substandard, I can't in good faith turn up for work and proceed with this as I would be lying to the residents of Ireland to preserve my own skin and I cannot countenance such betrayal, me being very different to the political sphere and also watching lots of downtown abeey style shows' but did any of them? Or did they just bluster on for decades rather than walk off the job for the moral high ground to be preserved.
This is kind of the same argument I (used to) use to defend science in general. Like, you'd either have to believe that I, and everyone I work with, and every journal editor, and every university, and every research institute, and every pharma company (ok maybe that one's less of a reach), that we're ALL in this together secretly plotting stuff (for unknown reasons?), or we're all gobshites.

Like, at the heart of it there needs to be some trust in some people. I don't believe the Irish Gov is a malign force. I think there might be some gobshites knocking around, but at the core I think it's a lot of reasonably well intentioned people, doing a reasonable job, and often getting it right. Yeah obviously you need to look closely at what's going on, you need to get good security people to check stuff, you need to oversight and transparency, but the slippery slope argument isn't something I'm that worried about.

It's pure whataboutism, but Google most likely knows your kinks and how many dumps a day you take, and if the two are related. And they are very potentially malign force, and they are not out to try to help people out for the sake of helping people out.

(And I get that this is possibly niave to some extent, but it's close enough to what I actually believe from what I've experienced.)

This is kind of the same argument I (used to) use to defend science in general. Like, you'd either have to believe that I, and everyone I work with, and every journal editor, and every university, and every research institute, and every pharma company (ok maybe that one's less of a reach), that we're ALL in this together secretly plotting stuff (for unknown reasons?), or we're all gobshites.

No it isn't.

I'm not saying anyone is working with anyone.

I'm saying individuals who work in IT who were responsible for the IT acted exactly like individuals in politics do for self preservation. The ransomware is also IT.

The reason I did this is because A: they did and B: there's a bit of a theme emerging here that the reason we can't centrally database things is that we can't trust govt, and I made the point to interrupt that handwashing routine.

I don't have an extra layer of trust for IT staff that I have for govt because IT has yet to prove itself immune to the same problems*

I know you pricks work in IT btw.

*of being human, sorta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back