Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (4 Viewers)

Assuming that this online concert shit is this year's Live Aid, does that mean all the money raised is going to be donated to a random Ethiopian warlord?

The claim is that it raised funds for the World Health Organisation Solidarity Response Fund to fight coronavirus. Apparently the money will go toward funding global personal protection equipment (PPE), testing kits and laboratory capacity to process the tests.

I don't really agree with that tbh.
I'd imagine we might be close enough to opening things up a little but that it will depend on the industry even if they are all interconnected to some extent. Musicians can't play unless venues can open venues won't open unless the beer can be delivered the beer wont be delivered unless that other thing a bob can go ahead etc. We might even be in a better position than some other countries but then we should restrict travel which would impact the hospitality industry for example but other things might go ahead anyway. Actual economic affects could be felt for a long time but then again money is basically made up stuff so who knows. It's possible of course that the spread of the virus may continue to grow globally for some time and become even more deadly.

Nah man, we aren't out of the woods, we are approaching the woods. I'm not saying this as my usual cynical self, I'm just looking at the numbers.

We're deffo approaching the woods. It's not a big scary black forest like we all feared, but a rather massive one that will take a mammoth amount of time to wade through.

Baffled by this story in the news today that they're considering opening schools one day a week. Surely you're as likely to spread the virus on one day, never mind 5. Unless they're talking about diving a class up so 5 kids per class per day get to go in. Maybe there's some merit in that, but seems like more of a carrot to dangle in front of us.

I don't really agree with that tbh.

Nah man, we aren't out of the woods, we are approaching the woods. I'm not saying this as my usual cynical self, I'm just looking at the numbers.

especially considering it appears that catching it doesn’t appear to provide immunity to a second dose after you (hopefully!) recover from the first

especially considering it appears that catching it doesn’t appear to provide immunity to a second dose after you (hopefully!) recover from the first

This isn't true.

There was a statement along the lines of "Ig wasn't conclusively found in a serum fraction in an individual" made which was taken completely out of context, and then straight up misrepresented. No evidence exists that this is some special virus that you can't get immune to. I'd be very surprised if this turned out to be the case.

A lab failing to find a type of immunoglobulin in a sample in an individual doesn't imply you don't become immune to this.

Statisticians and data scientists, I expect. What would you say?

Deaths from lots of other things are down, apparently e.g. road accidents
in recent years 160-170 odd people were dying annually in motor accidents.
maybe people should just use cars less.

what other types of deaths are down ?

does anyone have any links on how policy on stopping Covid-19 is assessed
versus all the other problems in the world e.g. ten of millions of deaths
annually caused by poverty.
there must be some information available on this ?

i suspect people are dying because they are avoiding hospitals at the moment.

and in some cases there have been some awful hard luck stories like the man
on the RTE news on Saturday whose was in line for a kidney transplant.
now he can't get a transplant as things stand.

There was a statement along the lines of "Ig wasn't conclusively found in a serum fraction in an individual" made which was taken completely out of context, and then straight up misrepresented. No evidence exists that this is some special virus that you can't get immune to. I'd be very surprised if this turned out to be the case.
i'm fucking annoyed at journalists for making such a basic mistake, and i'm annoyed at the WHO for not making it clearer to these stupid journalists.

absence of evidence =/= evidence of absence.

I see this interview passing through the more paranoid sections of the internet, it raises some good points (like how fucked Hungary is or how exactly are we going to emerge from this) although I don't buy it all myself since this guy seems to have just as much evidence for his own theories as the people he is criticizing. Worth putting it in here as a record to compare a few months/years down the line.

Professor Johan Giesecke is one of the world’s most senior epidemiologists. He is an advisor to the Swedish Government (he hired Anders Tegnell who is currently directing Swedish strategy), the first Chief Scientist of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and an advisor to the director general of the WHO.

World Health Organization: "Johan Giesecke trained as an infectious disease clinician in Stockholm, Sweden during the 1980’s, and from his work with AIDS patients he became interested in the epidemiology of infectious diseases. He received an MSc in epidemiology from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in 1992, and then worked as a Senior Lecturer at the school for a few years. After this he became State Epidemiologist for Sweden (1995 to 2005) and during a one-year sabbatical 1999-2000 he led the group working on the revision of the International Health Regulations at WHO HQ. From 2005 to 2014 he was the first Chief Scientist of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).

Professor Giesecke has written a textbook on infectious disease epidemiology, and now teaches on this subject as a professor emeritus at the Karolinska Institute Medical University in Stockholm."

+++

Giesecke lays out with typically Swedish bluntness why he thinks:

"The Swedish government decided early in January that the measures we should take against the pandemic should be evidence-based. And when you start looking around for the measures are being taken now by different countries, you find that very few of them have the shred of evidence base... like border closures school closures social distancing there's almost no science behind most of these."

"The [Imperial College] paper was never published scientifically. It's not peer-reviewed which a scientific paper should be. It's just an internal departmental report for Imperial. And it's fascinating. I don't think any other scientific endeavor has made such an impression on the world, as that rather debatable paper."

"When I first heard, which is now six week ago, about the different draconic measures that were taken, I asked myself 'how are they going to climb down from that one? When will they open the schools again? What would be the criterion to open the schools?' Did anyone of the strong, and very decisive politicians in Europe, think about how to get out of this when they introduced it? And I think that would be a problem for the UK as well."

"I think what we're seeing is a tsunami of a usually quite mild disease, which is sweeping over Europe. And some countries do this, and some countries do that, and some countries don't do that. And in the end there will be very little difference.... most people who get it will never even notice they were infected."

"What am I most afraid of? It's the dictatorial trends in Eastern Europe. That Orbán is now dictator for Hungary forever. There's no finishing date. I think the
same is popping up in other countries. It may pop up in more established democracies as well. I think the ramifications can be huge from this."

Giesecke "lays out with typically Swedish bluntness why he thinks:

- UK policy on lockdown and other European countries are not evidence-based
- The correct policy is to protect the old and the frail only
- This will eventually lead to herd immunity as a “by-product”
- The initial UK response, before the “180 degree U-turn”, was better
- The Imperial College paper was “not very good” and he has never seen an unpublished paper have so much policy impact
- The paper was very much too pessimistic
- Any such models are a dubious basis for public policy anyway
- The flattening of the curve is due to the most vulnerable dying first as much as the lockdown
- The results will eventually be similar for all countries
- Covid-19 is a “mild disease” and similar to the flu, and it was the novelty of the disease that scared people.
- The actual fatality rate of Covid-19 is the region of 0.1%
- At least 50% of the population of both the UK and Sweden will be shown to have already had the disease when mass antibody testing becomes available"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hmmm

In situations where there is new stuff happening your data is necessarily scanty, and so you have to make decisions without much evidence. Is Sweden's decision to not close schools evidence-based?
I can't remember, I assume they have the same justification that the science is on their side as every other country who has decided to close schools. I can't see the Irish health system as it stands being able to do with what Sweden are doing without being overwhelmed but I'm only basing this on doctors on twitter and news reports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back